• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket machine covered in bodily fluids, penalty fare given

Status
Not open for further replies.

4REP

I was in a situation at Southampton Central a few years back where platform 1 toilets were in a soiled condition and not cleaned and also in the process of installing toilet barriers where u pay to use them - so I complained to a member of staff that this were not acceptable and if not saughted out I will complain to EHO. They were shut within a few weeks and closed for a while until refurbishment. When EHO is mentioned it scares them.
why should the public have to pay for unclean toilets! The same applies to tickets from a soiled ticket machine

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
They have the right to close or shut down anything that is a threat to public health.
My view is the state of the ticket machine is a threat as will contain possible disease or virus and no member of staff had cleaned it and the company still expected it to be used to purchase tickets. The customer in question had the right not to use the machine I certainly would not have.
Yes, tho of course they probably carry all sorts of non visible viruses most of the time anyway! Cough on the touch screen whilst buying your ticket in error - next person gets the germs....

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I usually report ticket machines out of order if this happens. There is certainly no requirement for you to be doing this, but it can prove helpful later.

There can be no doubt that a ticket machine in this condition has been subject to vandalism and therefore out of use - I've seen ticket machines smeared with dog excrement in the past.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Yes sorry its environmental health officer. They don't just deal with food hygiene. They deal with all sorts of public hygiene in public places where people have contact with company machines or machinary so even ticket machines should not be exempt.

Sorry, not the EHO inspector, I meant the inspector on board the train. Even with you showing photos, at what point would the ticket machine even be considered acceptable?!

I deal with EHO in work often, so I'm all too familiar with them.

fireftrm

As this was on the operational railway I would complain to ORR - they have the H&S responsibilities for operational Railway and the EHO (who acts on behalf of the HSE) may not

Last edited:

packermac

I wonder if the OP managed to get the penalty removed, especially as the Welsh Assembly seemed the most conservative on removing restrictions, which in turn were far more draconian than other UK nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.