• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket office open but advance tickets not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

I kind of thought that if a ticket office was open, it is possible to buy a full range of tickets

But I tried to buy a ticket in the evening for a journey the following week but I was told it is not possible to buy advance tickets over the counter in the evening

Is this correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
I know that the ticket office at London Victoria is open 24 hours, but after 9pm they only sell 'tickets for immediate travel'. Probably down to staffing levels?

Ivo

Established Member
Very few places will sell Advance tickets any later than about 1800, even where the Advance is required for a day other than the next day. Romford for instance traditionally stopped at about 1700.

island

Veteran Member
There's a homemade sign up at BHI saying they only sell Advances until 1600 and after that to book online at a site such as thetrainline.com.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
There's a homemade sign up at BHI saying they only sell Advances until 1600 and after that to book online at a site such as thetrainline.com.

You would have thought they'd put virgintrains.com on the sign!

Wyvern

Established Member
What's the problem?

Surely all they have to do is date the ticket as required?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
What's the problem?

Surely all they have to do is date the ticket as required?

If they sell tickets in advance they have to offer Advance tickets, Advance tickets require more than just changing the date on the ticket.

Wyvern

Established Member
All anyone would want in the case I am thinking of is a Saver or Open ticket when they happened to be in Derby to save f'ing about with that infernal TVM at Belper.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Established Member
I still cant see why a saver or open ticket cannot be sold for whatever date the buyer requires. There aren't any pricing or reservation issues involved.

barrykas

Established Member
I still cant see why a saver or open ticket cannot be sold for whatever date the buyer requires. There aren't any pricing or reservation issues involved.

You may well think that, but the clerk still has to check what time you're travelling to ensure they sell the right ticket, even if you explicitly ask for an Off-Peak Return or whatever, thus making any advance purchase transaction take longer than one for immediate travel.

After all, you wouldn't be very happy if you boarded your chosen train and presented your ticket, only to be told it wasn't valid and get charged a Penalty Fare or Anytime Single.

Cheers,

Barry

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Because ticket offices can't decide who they sell 'tickets in advance' to!

Imagine the scene, there is a short queue at Derby ticket office in the evening......

First Customer in Queue: Can I have an Off-Peak Return to London for the 13.01 on Monday?
Clerk: Reservations?
First Customer in Queue: No thanks.
Clerk: £61.50 please.

Second Customer in Queue: Can I have a single to London for the 13.01 on Monday please?
Clerk: Do you want the Off-Peak Single or an Advance ticket?
Second Customer in Queue: I don't know, it's £19.00 online.
Clerk: That's an Advance ticket, I suggest you buy it online and collect the ticket from the ticket machine over there [points to TVM] on Monday before you travel.
Second Customer in Queue: You won't sell me it?
Clerk: I'm not allowed to.
Second Customer in Queue: But you sold the last guy a ticket for Monday?
Clerk: Yes, but he only wanted an Off-Peak ticket, you want an Advance.
Second Customer in Queue: What's the difference?
Clerk: I only have to change the date on the ticket for him, but I have to book reservations for you and that takes longer.
Second Customer in Queue: But you could have just done all that by now.
Clerk: Indeed, but those are the rules.

I'm sure you get the idea.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP

RJ

Established Member
Because ticket offices can't decide who they sell 'tickets in advance' to!

Schedule 17 simply alludes to tickets requiring reservations. I had no obligation whatsoever to ever issue any reservations or tickets requiring reservations but I did on occasion if the customer already knew what they wanted. Tickets "in advance," no problem at all so long as the person didn't want reservations as well!

tannedfrog

Schedule 17 simply alludes to tickets requiring reservations. I had no obligation whatsoever to ever issue any reservations or tickets requiring reservations but I did on occasion if the customer already knew what they wanted. Tickets "in advance," no problem at all so long as the person didn't want reservations as well!
Thank you - an Advance ticket usually has a reservation - are you saying that the customer can buy an Advance ticket from the counter in the evening but not be able to reserve a seat?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thank you - an Advance ticket usually has a reservation - are you saying that the customer can buy an Advance ticket from the counter in the evening but not be able to reserve a seat?

I think RJ meant tickets sold in advance of travel, which could have been flexible walk-on tickets bought in advance, not necessarily Advance fares, too.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
An Advance ticket requires a reservation, by definition. (in the case of LM, Chiltern, SN and SWT, the reservation will not allocate a specific seat)

RJ

Established Member

No, because an Advance ticket requires a reservation.

mralexn

And be conned with higher fares and a booking fee and a fee for using your credit card :P

Status
Not open for further replies.