• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Office sales when starting short

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleph_0

A hypothetical question, based on a real scenario (I've changed the locations to anonymize and simplify the actual scenario).

I was behind a passenger at the ticket office the other day at Staines, and the asked what ticket they should get - they wanted to travel to Stansted today, but then on their return (about a week later), travel to Windsor.

I was wondering what the ticket seller is required to do in this case. I understand one isn't normally obliged to consider split ticket options, or starting short, but for the stated journey one has two (three?) main options:
1. Buy a Windsor-Stansted Return, and start short at Staines (the validity codes allow this)
2. Buy a Staines-Stansted Return, and a single Staines-Windsor.
(3? Buy a Staines-Stansted Return, and excess the return portion? - is this possible?)

Are there defined rules/advice as to what should be offered/checked?

(In this scenario, the seller went straight for option 2, but I'm not looking to criticise the seller here, the cost difference isn't huge, just curious what would be considered reasonable.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Both 1 & 3 would cost the same, either of these unless 2 is cheaper.

TP

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
All three are options, depending on price, routeing, calling pattern and what the clerk considers as a viable option (we're not perfect), but consideration should also be given to a single each way (in this case it would be discounted as more expensive).

I believe the defined rules would be for 3 to be used (an over-distance excess), provided travel on the return is via Staines (i.e. to Windsor and Eton Riverside rather than Windsor and Eton Central), but most clerks would rather do 1 than 3.

If travel were to W&E Central, 2 would be used, with the single from Paddington to W&E Central, rather than from Staines, or a single each way if cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.