• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket pickup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerheid

Established Member
I couldn't pick up my ticket at Cambridge North because the system is apparently down to some extent, and am just about to travel to Kings Cross to try and get it there (on gateline staff suggestion).

To what extent should I expect this to not be as straightforward as I'd hope? :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
I couldn't pick up my ticket at Cambridge North because the system is apparently down to some extent, and am just about to travel to Kings Cross to try and get it there (on gateline staff suggestion).

To what extent should I expect this to not be as straightforward as I'd hope? :(

Should be fine. It's a national issue caused by a software update at ATOC/RDG going wrong.

Nick66

Should be fine. It's a national issue caused by a software update at ATOC/RDG going wrong.
Why does a phrase starting “if it ain’t broke...” spring to mind?

And what could stop people who couldn’t collect Anytime tickets from collecting and using them later?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm in the same boat, couldn't collect at Cambridge this morning. Told by ticket office staff to travel using my confirmation e-mail. Will pick up at King's Cross instead...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Why does a phrase starting “if it ain’t broke...” spring to mind?

And what could stop people who couldn’t collect Anytime tickets from collecting and using them later?

The update is probably because there *was* something broke (not obvious to passengers using it)...

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Am travelling with XC today who have accepted my confirmation email without quibble. Even the First Class Host knew about the issue.

As other posters have said that was a national issue and not one confined to certain small corners of he network.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Got let out at King's Cross fine (certainly wasn't only passenger)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What would happen in this case if you didn't have the conformation email? I never use the conformation email and instead write the conformation number on a piece of paper and would have no way to access the e-mail while travelling. Would the guard/RPI accept the scrap bit of paper with a few letters/numbers written on (and presumably have no way to check the validity of it)?

robbeech

Established Member
You’d expect the majority would give you the benefit if the doubt. Of course a select few would take advantage and you’d have the hassle of getting refunds etc afterwards when you could prove it after the event. An even smaller minority would tell you the ticket wasn’t valid even if you had it. It proves the wide range of attitudes amongst staff on the network but I’m pleased to say the vast majority are very sensible in situations like this.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What would happen in this case if you didn't have the conformation email? I never use the conformation email and instead write the conformation number on a piece of paper and would have no way to access the e-mail while travelling. Would the guard/RPI accept the scrap bit of paper with a few letters/numbers written on (and presumably have no way to check the validity of it)?

A guard could check the reference if they thought you were pulling a fast one by contacting a Customer Support Controller (or equivalent). Or they can call customer relations who could check.

philthetube

Established Member
A guard could check the reference if they thought you were pulling a fast one by contacting a Customer Support Controller (or equivalent). Or they can call customer relations who could check.
After being on hold for an hour. :D

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Would the guard/RPI accept the scrap bit of paper with a few letters/numbers written on (and presumably have no way to check the validity of it)?
While I appreciate that you all clearly had the best of intentions, these really are the wrong questions to be asking.

It's easy to get into a rut if you read the forum a lot of thinking 'will they believe me?' or 'How can they check?'. Turn the situation on it's head. Whose problem is it if an RPI thinks you are not telling the truth if you are advised to board a train and travel with a reference number (not an email confirmation, a reference number, I would make that distinction during my conversation with station staff)? Yours? No. It's theirs.

If you're given verbal permission to board, that's adequate. You don't need to do anything else to demonstrate that you have the right to travel, except present your reference number of course, if that was a condition of boarding. How can they prevent fraud? In all manner of ways - it remains illegal, of course. It's not the customer's consideration.

In the unlikely event that this happens and you're forced to buy a new ticket, I would recommend refusing to hand over any money. Of course, you may need to give your name and address (and nothing else) and should probably do so if asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.