• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket pricing Ely - Exter St Davids

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawallace

Could someone please look up cheapest way to go Ely to Exter ST David, Friday 12th Sept, leaving first train out of Ely and leaving Exter just before 14.00?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Could someone please look up cheapest way to go Ely to Exter ST David, Friday 12th Sept, leaving first train out of Ely and leaving Exter just before 14.00?

In the absence of info, I assume you want to make a day return and I assume you are not eligible for a national railcard.

You may know that there are no Advance tickets available on the 1357 from Exeter St Davids that day. If it is absolutely essential to get that train then the best through fares are:
0526 Ely-Kings X 0635 / 0730 Paddington-Exeter StD 1012 £35.50 Advance.
1357 Exeter StD-Paddington 1622 / 1615 Kings X-Cambridge 1807 / 1814 Cambridge-Ely 1829 £80 Open single route Taunton.
Total £115.50

At this price, you may wish to consider going via Birmingham where it seems the Saver Return fare is unrestricted:
0613 Ely-Birmingham NewSt 0850 / 0910 Birmingham NewSt - Exeter StD 1143.
1423 Exeter StD - Birmingham NewSt 1657 / 1724 Birmingham NewSt - Ely 1956 £81 Saver Return route Taunton.

For some reason, I couldn't get the booking engine to offer any fares at all for the return leg from Exeter St Davids via Birmingham on that day, but that was overcome by asking for Ely - Exeter Central instead, where the same price applies.

There could also be savings by going out on the 0526 with the £35.50 Advance ticket and returning via Salisbury using a Network Railcard, but I don't know enough about when you need to be back in Ely to advise.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.