• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Purchase using the Southern Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domeyhead

I like to think I am "train literate"(!) and wanting to purchase a return ticket from Swanwick (Hants) to Plumpton next week - which is entirely on Southern Trains I used National Rail to identify train times and selected a Southern Train from Southampton to Victoria ( change at Gatwick) and then another Southern Train down to Plumpton via Haywards Heath. Same on the return. However when going over to the Southern site to complete the purchase online the desired trains (all those to /from Victoria via Gatwick) had disappeared and the only only route the site will sell me is those along the slow coastway route via Brighton! 30 minutes longer plus an extra change!) The times of the coastway trains do not suit at all and even selecting "must go via Gatwick" does not make any difference. What is the matter with Southern that its timetable selector does not even show all its own trains let alone those of other operators?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a return ticket from Swanwick to Plumpton that a journey planner will validate for the whole journey on the fastest route (via Gatwick).

Getting as far as Gatwick means that you're passing through Three Bridges twice (no relevant easement) and, even if you avoid Gatwick, Swanwick-Plumpton tickets are routed: via Barnham and the permitted routes from Barnham to Plumpton don't include the Arun valley line via Horsham.

That leaves you stuck on the Coastway as far as Hove.

Your best bet might be to buy a flexible split on a retail site that does split ticketing (e.g. trainsplit.com finds a flexible off peak day return split via Gatwick for £24.60 ).

Domeyhead

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a return ticket from Swanwick to Plumpton that a journey planner will validate for the whole journey on the fastest route (via Gatwick).

Getting as far as Gatwick means that you're passing through Three Bridges twice (no relevant easement) and, even if you avoid Gatwick, Swanwick-Plumpton tickets are routed: via Barnham and the permitted routes from Barnham to Plumpton don't include the Arun valley line via Horsham.

That leaves you stuck on the Coastway as far as Hove.

Your best bet might be to buy a flexible split on a retail site that does split ticketing (e.g. trainsplit.com finds a flexible off peak day return split via Gatwick for £24.60 ).
Thanks - JB - good advice!

Iggy12a

If you have time to have the ticket delivered by post (as collection at Swanwick would not be possible) and can wait till the 10:32 departure, there is the Southern Daysave at £20.

Domeyhead

THanks Iggy, as luck would have it I am not travelling until the 16th so the collection from the station is a feasible option. However the first race at Plumpton is just after 12 so I must take an earlier train. I have followed JB's advice and used a split ticket website which has saved me a few more pounds along with my railcard so I am very pleased with the outcome. My fate now rests with the jockeys, the weather, ASLEF and the RMT :) Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.