• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket routing advice on Newcastle to Bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmoo_smith

I'm planning on taking a trip to bath soon and i was wondering if buy a standard ticket going from newcastle to bath avoiding london would i be able to take a train to carlisle and then onto tamworth on that ticket, my reason for this is that i have never been on pendolino before and have been wanting to travel on them since they came about, if not i was thinking a rover of some kind, can anyone give me advice on them if this is the case?

many thanks

martin

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There won't be a rover valid all that way.

Is this a single or a return?

As for routeing, have you had a look at the Routeing Guide? http://www.atoc.org/rsp/Routeing_Guide.asp

Newcastle & Bath are both Routeing Points so you can dive straight in and look at the mapped routes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Had a quick look at the maps, and I'm pretty sure it's not valid via Carlisle.

The shortest route is always permitted, and the shortest route from Haltwhistle to Bath is via Carlisle. This is priced at £116.70, the same as from NCL. You can add a Newcastle-Haltwhistle SDS for £10.10 to do a circular trip. There may be a cheaper way.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
am I being dense, 'cos I can't see any service from Carlisle to Tamworth, and isn't Tamworth going the wrong way? (east of Birmingham)

I think that you can get a ticket from Hexham, which is valid via Carlisle, and then you could take a pendolino as far as warrington (it's a bit cheaper to split your ticket at Warrington as well).

If you can get convenient advance tickets, then taking the Pendolino all the way to London might be an option, it may even be quicker than changing at Warrington, Birmingham and Bristol

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tamworth would be a good interchange point if you can get trains that call there, not not many ex-Glasgow trains do (none do in the current weekday service!)

Realistically you're looking at changing elsewhere, and Stafford is no use. Even if the Glasgow to London train calls there (unlikely), the Manchester-Bristol trains do not call there. So you may have to change several times if you want to get a Pendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.