• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket split... But where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainfanBen

Pre-posting note: Since writing the post I've noticed that Virgin do an off peak fare (£27.40) which would suit me fine (as long as I can purchase at the station).

In short, my question was, and remains, which station does 'splitticketing.com', split its ticket at to achieve an anytime price of £39.50 between Birmingham International and Preston?

I've put the original message as a quote below.

TrainfanBen said:
I'd like to travel from Birmingham International [BHI] to Preston (Lancs) [PRE].
Booking in advance would be inconvenient. I'd like to purchase my tickets at the station.

Usually a full price anytime single is £48.50, which I will buy if there are no other options, but ticket splitter has found a ticket for £39.50.

I went onto thetrainline website, to try and determine which station it has split the journey at but to no avail, the best I could do was BHI-Wolverhampton (£2.40) and Wolverhampton- PRE at £41.00 giving a total of £43.40

I forgot that a return journey is necessary for an off peak.

Follow up:

I've acheived a price of £40.70 by splitting my ticket 5 times;

Birmingham International-Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton-Stafford
Stafford-Crewe
Crewe- Warrington Bank Quay
Warrington Bank Quay-Preston.

If ticket split was right the first time, there is still £1.20 saving still to be made somehow.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'd always recommend purchasing your tickets through splitticketting.com if you are using their website to search for splits; the contribution you make goes towards funding the site... if people use them but then buy elsewhere, it's not going to be long term sustainable for them.

TP

greatkingrat

Established Member
Potentially you could buy the SVH for £27.40 combined with a cheap advance for some unpopular train far in the future and simply throw the advance away.

Advances for £10.50 seem easily available, giving a total price of £38.90.

TrainfanBen

Thanks all, I was mis-reading the page, seemingly the splits it suggested were Wolverhampton, Stafford, and Crewe. Oh well. (I needlessly split it two more times).

I do often take advantage of the cheap £12.50 advance, but these aren't always offered on the services I generally use or close enough to travel.

Also, it annoy's me is that Virgin don't offer any off peak singles or buy at the station type advances like Cross Country do on other routes. Oh well.

Thanks again for the tips, I'd suggest this thread be locked now. I'm sure it will be of use to others though.

Status
Not open for further replies.