• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket & Travel statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

soup6

I am trying to estimate how many travellers would benefit significantly (by more than, say, £10) from splitting their tickets. As a first stage, I am looking for a comprehensive breakdown of rail travel by distance, fare, ticket type etc. Can anyone point me to a suitable database? I realise that some of this data is considered commercially confidential by the TOCs but I imagine the government must collect and (hopefully) publish these statistics.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I am trying to estimate how many travellers would benefit significantly (by more than, say, £10) from splitting their tickets. As a first stage, I am looking for a comprehensive breakdown of rail travel by distance, fare, ticket type etc. Can anyone point me to a suitable database? I realise that some of this data is considered commercially confidential by the TOCs but I imagine the government must collect and (hopefully) publish these statistics.

I doubt you'll find the raw data easily.

ATOC will have figures but they're not subject to FOI requests and are unlikely to pass you the data for this use!

ATOC occasionally produce press releases with the average fare paid per passenger but no details of their workings.

Smidster

Think you might going to be disappointed.

Try the ORR (Office of Rail Regulation) Statistical Site & Date Portal - may have some relevant material but I don't think it will be at the kind of granularity you would like.

cuccir

Established Member
As part of a local authority transport project, we were able to access this data from a TOC for our local branch line only, showing journeys between the stations invovled and others aggregated as 'stations elsewhere in region' and 'stations elsewhere in country', after quite a lot of wrangling. Apologies but it's unlikely that you'll get very far looking for actual data!

You might use the released statistics to estimate figures - by drawing from average number of journeys and average prices for example? If you then calculated the average savings over 20-30 popular routes, with a spread of different distances, then you could make some sort of reasonable estimate - but this would be an estimate only!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sorry to say that i have to agree that you are going to find this data very difficult to find.

Simon11

Established Member
Just to add, even with all your data supplied, you would still have a huge, huge task of sorting the data. There would be infinite amount of potential splits, especially if you begin to add Advances and all products.

I did some work on this subject for a TOC, known for having alot of split ticket and even to assess the situation of split ticketing from a high level view was challenge. Lots of assumptions were required.

telstarbox

Established Member
I am trying to estimate how many travellers would benefit significantly (by more than, say, £10) from splitting their tickets.

Of the potential passengers who would benefit:
  • Some will be travelling on expenses so have less incentive to save money
  • Some will already have season tickets which complicates the best split
  • Some will find splitting too complicated and will be put off
  • Some will travel on Advances cheaper than walk-up splits
  • Some may only travel occasional and so won't think it's worth the hassle

So the real number of passengers who would use split tickets will be lower than the theoretical number.

The government are trying to shift more of the cost of fares to passengers so are unlikely to assist with something which would reduce overall revenue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.