• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket valid on SE High-Speed ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
Im going up to Barnsley early on a weekend morning next month. Booking through EMT, it is giving me a journey from Eastbourne to Ashford Intl, High Speed from Ashford to St Pancras, then EMT to Sheffield and Northern onto Barnsley.

The whole journey is £22 for an advance single with a railcard - but is this ticket valid on SE High-Speed ? Simple question i know but i have no idea :oops:

Return journey is using Underground from Kings Cross St Pancras to Victoria so should be fine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, you'll be fine using Southeastern HS as part of the "+Connections" section of an Advance - just make sure you take the itinerary with you in case of problems (never had any myself though, and I've done it a lot!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The whole journey is £22 for an advance single with a railcard - but is this ticket valid on SE High-Speed ? Simple question i know but i have no idea :oops:
Not sure what website you are using but the website should make it clear that the itinerary offered is valid. Indeed, some would say that you must travel via HS1 as that is the route provided on the itinerary. There is some leeway for "& Connections" tickets when using non-reservable trains providing they are "appropriate" but deviating from the itinerary (except in the event of disruption, following the advice of staff) can be bad idea, so stick with the route you are given.

ushawk

Established Member
Not sure what website you are using but the website should make it clear that the itinerary offered is valid. Indeed, some would say that you must travel via High Speed as that is what the itinerary says. There is some leeway for "& Connections" tickets when using non-reservable trains providing they are "appropriate" but deviating from the itinerary (except in the event of disruption, following the advice of staff) can be bad idea, so stick with High Speed.

It comes up saying "This ticket is only valid on East Midlands Trains and connecting services" so i would think it should be valid as its a connecting service to the EMT service to Sheffield at STP.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It comes up saying "This ticket is only valid on East Midlands Trains and connecting services" so i would think it should be valid as its a connecting service to the EMT service to Sheffield at STP.
The itinerary shown is, of course, valid, so there never needs to be a question of whether the itinerary is valid.

The only question would be whether an alternative connecting service would be valid, which is basically covered in the Advance FAQs and T&Cs.

If you are happy to take the trains shown on your itinerary, there is no issue.

island

Veteran Member
Yes that is fine on a weekend. Advances aren't valid into St. Pancras on HS1 arriving before 1000 on weekdays.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes that is fine on a weekend. Advances aren't valid into St. Pancras on HS1 arriving before 1000 on weekdays.
I'm not sure I'd word it that way. Itineraries via HS1 are not offered at those times, but the question of validity is debatable. However it does not apply to the OP, and has been debated before so that can of worms is best not opened up again.

In any case, there is only a need for a debate if someone wants to take trains that are not in the itinerary, as the itinerary is, by definition, valid.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The restriction codes for a large number of advance fares these days specifically disallow travel into or out of St Pancras International on HS1 in the Monday-Friday morning and evening peak respectively. But as the OP's journey is on a Saturday this isn't relevant, and of course he should be trusting the booking engine as having taken all this into account and producing a valid itinerary.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I've used an Advance on HS1 during the evening peak. The barrier rejected it, but the member of staff let me through. It wasn't checked on the train though.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....The whole journey is £22 for an advance single with a railcard - but is this ticket valid on SE High-Speed ? Simple question i know but i have no idea :oops:....

The need to have a supplement for HS1 services (or a ticket routed "Plus High Speed") only applies when going to London from Kent, journeys going via London are valid without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.