• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket via High Wycombe when Chiltern Line Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
I'm travelling from London to Shrewsbury & back next weekend but see the Chiltern line is closed and passengers are being advised to use other routes / operators.

I would normally buy a ticket via High Wycombe but this route is not possible (other than by replacement bus). Can I buy this ticket but use it on Virgin or Cross Country services to Euston or Paddington, or do I have to buy the more expensive 'all routes' ticket because the Chiltern Line is closed?

Chiltern's Website - 'Due to Network Rail engineering works in the Haddenham & Thame Parkway area, together with HS2 preparation works at West Ruislip, the line between Marylebone and Bicester is closed at multiple locations. A heavily-amended timetable will operate on all Chiltern Railways routes, and most journeys will be affected. Passengers may need to travel via alternative routes, on other operator's services, London Underground services and/or rail replacement bus services. Journey times will be considerably longer than usual.'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Alternatively, I would imagine that route High Wycombe tickets will be honoured on the train from Marylebone to Aylesbury Vale Parkway and the relatively short bus connection to Bicester North.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Alternatively, I would imagine that route High Wycombe tickets will be honoured on the train from Marylebone to Aylesbury Vale Parkway and the relatively short bus connection to Bicester North.
That may well be the case but buying them online may be difficult.

bkhtele

My understanding is they (via High Wycombe) will be valid on gwr via Oxford when the line is closed Some weekends Oct/Dec. Not sure if an official easement has been issued. You might want to get a confirmation from gwr via Twitter.

JoeM1V

I travelled with a "Route: High Wycombe" ticket from London to Birmingham when the southern end of the Chiltern line was closed. Chiltern's Twitter support told me to take GWR from Paddington to Oxford, then either XC to Birmingham New Street or the Chiltern service to Birmingham Moor Street. Ticket acceptance was arranged on GWR and XC accordingly.

Ticket acceptance was not arranged with Virgin or LNR, as it sometimes is when there's unplanned disruption on Chiltern.

I'd recommend contacting Chiltern, as something similar will probably be in order.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ticket acceptance was not arranged with Virgin or LNR, as it sometimes is when there's unplanned disruption on Chiltern.

As would be expected as if acceptance was in place for planned disruption on the Chiltern line, Virgin passengers in the know would just buy the cheaper "via High Wycombe" tickets for their journey via the WCML.

Status
Not open for further replies.