• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets confiscated due to being in the new format

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
I ran into trouble on Sunday evening with a Southern RPI travelling from Edenbridge (North) to Redhill on a Leigh (Kent) to Sheffield, which resulted in me getting the entire contents of my ticket wallet confiscated (including my Railcard, an Advance from SHF - MCO which I was supposed to be using straight afterwards and a set of advances MCO - WDM which I was supposed to be using later this week), stating that they thought that the tickets, which were issued on the new style printers at Mauldeth Road, weren't genuine, and furthermore, the pricing on a ticket from Yorkshire to Kent was 'clearly made up'.

I was issued with a receipt and a note (with the RPI's details on) asking staff to allow me travel as far as London Bridge, at which point I was left to make my own way on from there. I made my way to Euston, where I attempted to get a SILK ticket issued, which they refused, stating that the ticket office that my friend was at wasn't a Virgin run ticket office (he was at East Didsbury), although thankfully, he decided to allow me travel, giving me a handwritten 'special authority to travel' ticket to allow me onto the 07:35 to Wilmslow, connecting there for Northern to EDY.

Update: To anyone reading this years after the event, the good news is that the matter was resolved, gnolife was eventually compensated, and the total sum of compensation was into four figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Gnolife, I think there is a genuine complaint there regarding having all your tickets confiscated (in itself none of their business!!!) for being of the new style - not the passengers problem if staff haven't been briefed!

OwlMan

Established Member
I ran into trouble on Sunday evening with a Southern RPI travelling from Edenbridge (North) to Redhill on a Leigh (Kent) to Sheffield, which resulted in me getting the entire contents of my ticket wallet confiscated (including my railcard, an advance from SHF - MCO which I was supposed to be using straight afterwards and a set of advances MCO - WDM which I was supposed to be using later this week), stating that they thought that the tickets, which were issued on the new style printers at Mauldeth Road, weren't genuine, and furthermore, the pricing on the Kent flyer was 'clearly made up'. I was issued with a recipt and a note (with the RPI's details on) asking staff to allow me travel as far as London Bridge, at which point I was left to make my own way on from there. I made my way to Euston, where I attempted to get a SILK ticket issued, which they refused, stating that the ticket office that my friend was at wasn't a Virgin run ticket office (he was at East Didsbury), although thankfully, he decided to allow me travel, giving me a handwritten 'special authority to travel' ticket to allow me onto the 07:35 to Wilmslow, connecting there for Northern to EDY.

He had no right to see anything except the ticket and railcard you were using at the time and you should not have given him access to your other tickets/wallet.
If he wanted to see what was in your wallet or search you he needed to get the assisstance of BTP.

BrownE

I ran into trouble on Sunday evening with a Southern RPI travelling from Edenbridge (North) to Redhill on a Leigh (Kent) to Sheffield, which resulted in me getting the entire contents of my ticket wallet confiscated (including my railcard, an advance from SHF - MCO which I was supposed to be using straight afterwards and a set of advances MCO - WDM which I was supposed to be using later this week), stating that they thought that the tickets, which were issued on the new style printers at Mauldeth Road, weren't genuine, and furthermore, the pricing on the Kent flyer was 'clearly made up'. I was issued with a recipt and a note (with the RPI's details on) asking staff to allow me travel as far as London Bridge, at which point I was left to make my own way on from there. I made my way to Euston, where I attempted to get a SILK ticket issued, which they refused, stating that the ticket office that my friend was at wasn't a Virgin run ticket office (he was at East Didsbury), although thankfully, he decided to allow me travel, giving me a handwritten 'special authority to travel' ticket to allow me onto the 07:35 to Wilmslow, connecting there for Northern to EDY.
I have a number of issues with this. To start...

Railcards may only be confiscated in the following situations. The list is exhaustive. None of the below are correct.
  • When it is being used by a person not entitled to use it;
  • When it has been used to obtain discounted tickets prior to transferring them to another person who is not entitled to travel at a discounted fare;
  • When it is required as evidence to prove an offence.

Ticket withdrawal. The rules are again absolutely prescriptive on this matter. This has not happened.
If a ticket is retained for enquiry, in the course of a journey, issue an Excess Fare ticket, without charge, for the complete journey, showing details of the original ticket and endorsed 'Original ticket held for enquiry'. Include the issuing of this ticket in your report.

I can think of other failings that have happened here. No doubt talking to you/finding out more information would result in others.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
A request has gone into RSP for a reminder to be issued about the new format tickets.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
At our end, most folks seem to be aware of them.

A common term is "the tickets that look like receipts"... :)

Starmill

Veteran Member
At our end, most folks seem to be aware of them.

A common term is "the tickets that look like receipts"... :)

I wonder if Guards and RPIs in Devon have been briefed. I have a return from Paignton to Barnstaple on one for this Saturday...

Status
Not open for further replies.