• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets from mainland stations to Isle of Wight stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
My Internet is very limited for the next few days, so sorry if this is a stupid, easy to Google question, but does an SDS, SDR, SOS or SDR ticket from a mainland station to an IoW station (say Gatwick Airport-Shanklin) include the cost of the catamaran over from Portsmouth-Ryde? I'd say not because they're totally separate from each other as businesses, but the sharp increase in price makes me think otherwise.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Birdbrain

Yes they do. You can travel via the Wightlink Catermeran with a ticket to any Isle of Wight station. You can only travel on the Hovercraft with a ticket to the destination Ryde Hoverport :) You can also buy through tickets to East Cowes & West Cowes via Southampton and Red Funnel or Yarmouth (IOW) via Lymington.

Lrd

Established Member
Yeah it includes the sea leg, just show your rail ticket when boarding the vessel.

blakey1152

Yes they do. You can travel via the Wightlink Catermeran with a ticket to any Isle of Wight station. You can only travel on the Hovercraft with a ticket to the destination Ryde Hoverport :) You can also buy through tickets to East Cowes & West Cowes via Southampton and Red Funnel or Yarmouth (IOW) via Lymington.

Although as I found out just a couple of weeks back, if you ask for a ticket to Ryde Hoverport it shows the destination as "Hovertravel" but this is valid on the Hovercraft and Hoverbus to the hoverport from Portsmouth and Southsea station

Blakey

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Thanks all - quick question again:

Are Priv discounted tickets valid for crossing too, or do individual tickets have to be purchased for Pompey-Ryde? I don't know whether the ATOC agreement would extend that far.

Cheers

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks all - quick question again:

Are Priv discounted tickets valid for crossing too, or do individual tickets have to be purchased for Pompey-Ryde? I don't know whether the ATOC agreement would extend that far.

Cheers
Yes. The ticket offices at the ferry terminals will also issue Priv discounted tickets for the ferry as well. This applies to certain staff.

4.2.7 Wightlink Services (Safeguarded Active & Retired Staff only)

Travel facilities are available only to staff who entered the service prior to 1 April 1985 and only on
the services between Portsmouth Harbour and Ryde ; and between Lymington and Yarmouth.

Reduced rate travel is available to all eligible Active and Retired staff and their dependants upon presentation of a valid undated Staff Travel Card.

Free travel can be obtained by use of a dated Staff Travel Card (but NOT a Status Pass).

Residential travel is also granted to staff on Wightlink services and for this purpose, the shipping company will honour Residential Passes as long as these are endorsed “via Wightlink services” if part of a through journey, or specifically (eg Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde) if that is the extent of the residential journey sought.

Wightlink also grants eligible staff a 50% reduction on the standard vehicle and driver tariff which applies on the Portsmouth to Fishbourne service to single, day return and return tickets, although this is not available for commercial vehicles, caravans or trailers.

All other passengers in the vehicle are able to travel free or at privilege rate (if eligible) or at the appropriate full fare. You must make a reservation in advance by phoning 08713 761000.

There are no restrictions on foot passenger services but Wightlink do not offer the concessionary vehicle arrangements during the peak summer holiday period (roughly mid July to late August) on Saturdays on sailings departing between 07.35 and 19.50 hours.
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/RSTDocuments/NewArticles/NEW FORMAT OF TRAVEL GUIDES.pdf (DANGER! This links to a PDF)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Do non-safeguarded get it too then or do they have to shell out for the crossing individually? Sorry I can't do this myself, BlackBerry and all that...

Matt Taylor

Established Member
No, through tickets with a Priv discount only apply to safeguarded staff. You will need to book a ticket to Portsmouth Harbour and rebook at the Wightlink ticket office.

Status
Not open for further replies.