Tickets machines improve security?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by MidnightFlyer, 24 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. stut

stut Established Member

I assume they mean barriers.

Or that someone has deleted half of one bullet point (about ticket machines) and half of another (about barriers) and this is the result.

Annoying for me, as I often meet elderly relatives at the station, and help them with their bags.

4. MidnightFlyer

The page also describes Peterborough as a 'fair Cambridgeshire town'. Oh dear. First of all it's horrid, secondly it's a city!

5. wintonian

wintonian Established Member

Well if they don't need people to staff ticket offices then it improves security for them. ;)

6. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

It doesn't make a lot of sense as written on the website. Either somebody doesn;t understand what they are writing or, more likely, it has been copied incorrectly from another document.

7. Bellwater

Bellwater Member

Peterborough's alright, just some of the people who live there aren't... I would imagine they're getting ticket barriers. Its not a big problem there, the staff who do the am/pm barriers are pretty good.

8. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

oh my god, there's not enough space for automatic barriers

Peterborough's no worse than a lot of places, plus there's a nice pub near the station (Brewery Tap)

9. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

But isn't the idea that there'll be more space in the "larger main concourse"?

10. stut

stut Established Member

Peterborough has its ups and downs. They've done a wonderful job on the Butter Cross, though.

11. Bellwater

Bellwater Member

They could demolish the Newspaper Stand(a shame as its reasonable well stocked and has good staff)and the Pumpkin Cafe to make way for it.

12. Schnellzug

Schnellzug Established Member

i suppose they mean that only bono fido travellers will enter the Station and not Undesirables or Layabouts.
    I'm not in favour of Barriers because they're so slow; even if people are familiar with the way to put the Ticket in etc, you still seem to need (or I usually seem to) to try to put it in two or three times before it'll go in, and then if you've got Luggage you have to use the gate in any case, so I don't know why they don't just leave the Gate open and you show your Ticket to the person anyway.

13. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

There won't be a manual side gate with a new installation, they'll just have a wider than normal automatic ticket gate - although if you look totally baffled the staff might let you through...

14. stut

stut Established Member

They could do with demolishing the Pumpkin cafe and rebuilding it from scratch. I have rarely been in a more miserable railway cafe - I've seen grown men crying into their pints in there on a Friday night. The one on platform 4/5 is hardly better.

Thank goodness for the Great Northern and the new Starbucks!

15. shinkansen1966

shinkansen1966 Established Member

16. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

The word is "revenue"?

17. shinkansen1966

shinkansen1966 Established Member

Yes ! In my opinion ticket barriers at many stations are a clumsy and lazy way to raise revenue.

18. wintonian

wintonian Established Member

But do they?

In my experience on a route where all or most stations are berried then you are much less likely to get a ticket check on board making it easier for people to buy which ever ticket combination is cheapest for them to get through the barriers with out paying a 'valid' fare for the through journey.

Not to mention the many stations where you can just flash a piece of orange card and be let through.

19. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

Possibly, but there are also those who buy a more expensive ticket than they should because they're afraid of getting fined.

Interestingly honest though, I'd think "reduce queues" would have put a more positive spin on it.

20. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The most select part of rural Cheshire East.
    The words "Manchester Piccadilly" and "G4S" immediately sprang to my mind when I saw this quote.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Sounds about right.

21. ajax103

ajax103 Established Member

But the station will be bigger with not two new platforms but 3 new platforms, don't know about the concourse but there looks like there will be room made unless they use the space for more parking :roll:

(Not that there's anything wrong with parking but East Coast and Network Rail do need to look at converting least one car park to a multi story car park like Preston has then have a decent sized pick up point instead of blocking the access road in front of the station)

From what I learned from one of the managers was Platform 1 will be filled in as the existing Platform 2 will be extended southwards with a new platform being provided for the Up Fast on the other side of the existing Platform 3 and a island platform for the Anglia to Midlands services sited on the existing goods lines.

As a result then:

Platform 2 will be renumbered to Platform 1
    Platform 3 will be renumbered to Platform 2
    New platform for the Up Fast will be numbered Platform 3
    Platforms 4 & 5 will remain as they are
    New platforms for the Anglia to Midlands services will be numbered Platform 6 & 7

Lifts will then be available to all platforms.

As Platform 1 is going to be filled in, I don't know if they will relocate the booking office back and demolish the existing booking office to enlarge the concourse but I hope they will.

22. MidnightFlyer

Are those plans for the platforms etc confirmed?

23. ajax103

Well seeing as East Coast held a Meet the Manager session yesterday evening in the concourse and seeing as I was unable to attend to ask, I asked one of the station manager's if they were able to answer a question about what was happening to the platforms during the existing upgrade works.

Seeing as the manager concerned seems to be overseeing the upgrade works on a day to day basis, I would have thought they would know what they're talking about so as far as I am concerned it is confirmed, why say otherwise?

24. MidnightFlyer

Sorry, never saw the manager paragraph in your first post, apologies :oops:, no challenge / doubt etc intended.

25. RichmondCommu

RichmondCommu Established Member

And the beer festival held at the end of August is ACE. Well worth travelling up from London for.

26. ajax103

That's okay, I knew there were plans for a island platform for the current Cross Country, East Midlands Trains and National Express East Anglia services to use but didn't know about the new platform for the Up Fast which will save a few minutes off the East Coast services nor about Platform 1 being consigned to history.

27. amcluesent

amcluesent Member

Maybe an FC waiting room? We can only hope!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.