• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets only via Thameslink at same cost as via LT & Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belperpete

Established Member
Last year, when travelling from Derby to Gatwick Airport, I was offered two Super Off-Peak fares, one via London and one slightly cheaper valid only via Thameslink. I can understand the logic of charging more for a fare that includes the option of travelling via the underground.

This year, when booking a ticket from Derby to East Croydon, I am presented again with two Super-Off-Peak tickets, one valid via London and the other valid only via Thameslink. However, they both cost the same! Likewise there are two types of Off-Peak ticket, again both costing the same. What is the point of offering a ticket that is only valid via Thameslink at the same price as a ticket that is valid via Thameslink or underground?

This seems designed to confuse the unwary, who might assume that if one ticket is only valid via Thameslink, then the other is not (i.e. that it is only valid via the underground).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It is a bit bizarre although worth noting that the Anytime fare 'via City Thameslink' is cheaper.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
In the case of the Derby-Gatwick tickets, perhaps the premium for the unrestricted ‘Any Permitted’ fare has more to do with it also being valid on Gatwick Express trains, rather than for being valid on the tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.