• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets routed "Kensington Olympia"

Status
Not open for further replies.

John @ home

Established Member
An issue has arisen on http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ where the holder of a Coventry to Gatwick via Kensington Olympia ticket found that some journeys on the journey planners were via Euston, then Willesden Junction and Kensington Olympia.

I had previously regarded route London and route Kensington Olympia as mutually exclusive, but a glance at Quail has convinced me that the journey planners are probably right.

The route is permitted unless it is regarded as "doubling back", which is defined as passing through an intermediate station more than once. But Willesden Junction is several hundred metres east of the West Coast Main Line and none of the three intermediate stations have platforms on the fast lines used by Coventry - Euston trains. So it seems to me that it is correct that there is no "doubling back" in this instance.

But how far can one extrapolate from this example? Can one travel via Euston with a route Kensington Olympia ticket from a WCML station south of Milton Keynes, where it is by no means certain that the train to Euston will use the fast lines at Queens Park and avoid "doubling back"?

John

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
There is an easement which may apply:

000085 Journeys from Kensington Olympia and Willesden Jn made on tickets
with a cross-London marker may double back from Euston. This
easement applies in both directions.

Does the ticket have a "cross-London marker" ?

Peter

John @ home

Established Member
There is an easement which may apply:

000085 Journeys from Kensington Olympia and Willesden Jn made on tickets
with a cross-London marker may double back from Euston. This
easement applies in both directions.

Does the ticket have a "cross-London marker" ?

Peter

I don't think this easement applies to a Coventry to Gatwick journey. I think the journey planners are allowing travel via Euston because they deem that there is no station which one passes through more than once. I didn't think this would be possible but, having examined Quail's track diagrams, I'm convinced.

The NFM 02 CD shows that the two routes with walk-on fares from Coventry to Gatwick are KENSINGTON OLYMPIA and + ANY PERMITTED.

John

Established Member
Possibly something to do with Virgins effective removal of Watford from the Intercity network? No trains unless you want to go to Cov now.

Status
Not open for further replies.