• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets to "Edinburgh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscbrown

If I have a ticket to Edinburgh, does that include any Edinburgh station.

I'd love to be able to go from Lockerbie to Edinburgh Park possibly breaking my journey at Edinburgh Waverly. Would that be possible?

Would my ticket need to say 'Edinburgh Park' on it or could I get away with a ticket reading 'Edinburgh'?

There does not appear to be a cost difference between an Edinburgh and Edinburgh Park ticket.

It would be good as I study in Edinburgh and work out at Edinburgh Park.

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just ask the guard to excess it. If the fare is the same, it's a zero excess.

Officially you should get it excessed as there is no "Edinburgh stations" but some guards may just say not to bother with the excess.

glynn80

Established Member
Just ask the guard to excess it. If the fare is the same, it's a zero excess.

Officially you should get it excessed as there is no "Edinburgh stations" but some guards may just say not to bother with the excess.

Couldn't the OP just "double back" within the Edinburgh Group of which Edinburgh Park is a member?

rosscbrown

I think I made this overly complicated.

Say I buy a single between Lockerbie and Edinburgh Park (Change at Haymarket or Waverly), can I break my journey at Waverly, come back in a few hours and with the same Lockerbie to Edinburgh park go between Waverly and Edinburgh Park.

And just to confirm, NXEC website says an Anytime single ticket between Lockerbie and Edinburgh, Edinburgh Waverly, Haymarket or Edinburgh park is £18.30 regardless of which destination I select.

John @ home

Established Member
Couldn't the OP just "double back" within the Edinburgh Group of which Edinburgh Park is a member?

No.

Edinburgh Park is not a member of Edinburgh Group.
GROUP STATIONS
The stations listed at the bottom of this page are grouped together ...
EDINBURGH GROUP
Dalmeny Edinburgh Haymarket South Gyle

from http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/Routeing_Guide/instructions.htm

Even if it had been, doubling back is not allowed here for two reasons. First, Edinburgh Park is not on the route Lockerbie - Edinburgh. Haymarket to Edinburgh Park is overdistance travel beyond the validity of the ticket, so a (zero) excess fare should be requested. Second, the doubling back concession does not apply to origin or destination stations:
A customer may travel via any station in a group, including doubling back, provided that the group is on one of the permitted routes between their origin and destination stations. This extended availability is for interchange purposes only and does not apply where the origin or destination stations are part of a group.
also from http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/Routeing_Guide/instructions.htm

Finally, I notice that the restriction code for the £14.60 CDR from Lockerbie to Edinburgh or Edinburgh Park is shown in NFM 01 as
Restriction : H2
OUTWARD & RETURN TRAVEL
NOT VALID on Jacobite Steam Train.

Is this an error?

John

Last edited:

glynn80

Established Member
Ah cheers for clearing that up john, I could of sworn seeing EDB Park on the list but then looking again its not there!

TEW

Established Member
If you have bought a Lockerbie to Edinburgh Park Off Peak Return or Off Peak Day Return then you may break your journey at Edinburgh Waverley and leave the station if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.