• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tie collection query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato185

Hello all,

So it's become more apparent recently that I have a growing collection of railway ties. My current total brings me to 40, and yes - that's quite a lot.

Most of them I know what they are, and roughly when they were used. But some I don't have any information on, and so I've attached a few photos below of the ties I'd like to know a bit more about.

If you can help, that's great! And yes, I've got a list of them on my computer should I need to make a reference. Oh, and if anyone can sell me a life, a girlfriend, or both, then please also advise :p

IMG_20180220_164838_edit.jpg

Left to right:
Regional Railways I have this and a twin-stripe one. Was it for different grades or regions?
British Rail Seen this a few times, but never know who it was issued for?
Arriva Northern Spirit x2 I know nothing about these and never seen them before. Anyone know why the two designs? The left-hand one is much silkier and the one on the right much more traditional
First Group x3 I think the pink one was for catering staff, but not sure about the other two? The left hand of the 3 is more 'heritage' and so my guessing is maybe an old Great Western design?

Any information on the above ties would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Arriva Northern Spirit x2 I know nothing about these and never seen them before. Anyone know why the two designs? The left-hand one is much silkier and the one on the right much more traditional

Why the two designs? Because the corporate look changes from time to time and uniforms change. I believe that's the reason!

The darker design ('silkier') is not very good for wearing. There is not enough padding inside so the knot goes tiny and really tight.

Ianigsy

I wonder whether somebody pointed out that the pattern of dots and lines on the right hand Northern Spirit tie looks a lot like SOS in Morse code...

Established Member
The tie 5th from the left was given to First Great Eastern employees back in 1997ish, but it is a general First Group tie according to the label on the back.

Established Member
I'm assuming I've worked rather a similar job to you as (somewhere in the loft) I've got 3, 4, 5 and 6.

3 was the 'new' Northern Spirit tie 2000.
4 was the humourous S-O-S Northern Spirit tie - note at the morse code - 1999
5 was the original FTPE tie - 2004 onwards
6 was the cancer research FTPE special tie - 2007

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't remember the exact details, but when First Great Western launched their new uniform in 2007(Ish) I remember two ties being worn by staff; pink and navy blue; I could not say if they were the exact, but they were very similar to ties 6 and 7 in the above photo. I asked a staff member at the time what the difference and they advised me that it was a matter of personal preference as to what they wear; rather like at CrossCountry where Traincrew can choose to wear either the herringbone or vertically striped shirts.

pdeaves

Established Member
I can't remember the exact details, but when First Great Western launched their new uniform in 2007(Ish) I remember two ties being worn by staff; pink and navy blue; I could not say if they were the exact, but they were very similar to ties 6 and 7 in the above photo. I asked a staff member at the time what the difference and they advised me that it was a matter of personal preference as to what they wear; rather like at CrossCountry where Traincrew can choose to wear either the herringbone or vertically striped shirts.
I have one of the pink ties; it came to me via a FGW contact so I suspect it wasn't 'just' a FTPE one. First tends to support one charity as a whole group, so maybe it was a charity issue, but for all First TOCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.