• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Til - failing to produce valid ticket for travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzy

My son received a letter this morning from Transport investigations Ltd for Transport for Wales
He caught the train at Bargoed station and as he was running late jumped on the train without going to the ticket office with the intention to pay onboard instead which he has done many times before, he didn’t see the ticket conductor on the train and so purchased a ticket via Trainline.com on his phone.

He was stopped by revenue protection staff before the barriers at Cardiff Central and asked to produce his ticket when he showed them his phone he had stupidly bought a child ticket - he is 18 (yes his own fault I know)

He was then asked lots of questions, And they filled out a form and told him to expect a letter, he apologised and offered to pay for an adult ticket but they refused and let him go.

He is entirely at fault for not paying the correct fare and he has had a serious talking to about this, I’m just wondering now what he can write in reply to the letter, he is willing to pay any fine that they wish to give but I wouldn’t like to see him have a criminal charge because of his stupidity and it’s his first time doing this also.

Attachments

• F3F2A84F-1136-4198-B326-D699ACC9991C.jpeg
    F3F2A84F-1136-4198-B326-D699ACC9991C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Firstly, are you sure it's the first time he's bought a child's ticket? In responding, it's important to be completely honest, if you want them to be convinced that you are genuine. If he's made a habit of it then it may well be trackable through similar transactions on the app.

It's probably of little consequence, but the ticket he bought wouldn't have been valid even had it been an adult, as you are not allowed to buy on board with an app, to prevent "short-faring" fraud. (eg board at Bargoed, buy a ticket from Heath and alight at Central.)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's probably of little consequence, but the ticket he bought wouldn't have been valid even had it been an adult, as you are not allowed to buy on board with an app, to prevent "short-faring" fraud. (eg board at Bargoed, buy a ticket from Heath and alight at Central.)

As an aside it's not to prevent short faring which you can also do if you buy before you board, it's to prevent people not buying until challenged.

Emzy

Thanks for the reply - I can’t be 100% certain it’s the first time I’m going by what he’s told me, he’s in work now so can’t ask/check
I was wondering if the ticket he bought would have been valid or not but I think he was thinking he would cover himself as he’d not seen anyone on the train to purchase a ticket, but it makes sense what you say about the short-faring.

I’m really not up on trains these days as I rarely use them myself.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks for the reply - I can’t be 100% certain it’s the first time I’m going by what he’s told me, he’s in work now so can’t ask/check
I was wondering if the ticket he bought would have been valid or not but I think he was thinking he would cover himself as he’d not seen anyone on the train to purchase a ticket, but it makes sense what you say about the short-faring.

I’m really not up on trains these days as I rarely use them myself.
see other threads on here, but he's going to have to go down the route of apoplogising profusely, saying won't do it again showing remorse, and hoping they will accept an out of court settlement.

Unless he really did not know over 16 was adult fare he can not make any other excuse that i can see. Buy a young persons railcard or 16-18 railcard if eligible if probably a good idea too.

scrapy

Established Member
Unless he really did not know over 16 was adult fare he can not make any other excuse that i can see. Buy a young persons railcard or 16-18 railcard if eligible if probably a good idea too.
If you select a child ticket on the Trainline.com you also have to select your age on the day of travel. Nothing over 15 is available, so I fail how this can be done in error.

Status
Not open for further replies.