• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Time restricted Tickets and Delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Just a hypothetical question really but it has had me wandering...

If you have a time restricted ticket (e.g. A Devon Evening Ranger which is only valid after 18:00) And the 17:57 XC Service roles in at 5 minutes late
(18:02) would the ticket be valid on it becuase it is late?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goatboy

Established Member
Yes.

(This sentence is useless and I have typed it purely so the forum lets me post my single letter reply to your thread)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You do have to be a little careful of how the time restriction is worded, but if it is simply valid after 1800, then I would expect you to be allowed to use it.

Many time restrictions, mostly for singles and returns it must be said, refer to trains scheduled to depart or arrive after or before a set time and those tickets would not be valid on an earlier train that was delayed until after the time stated.

Goatboy

Established Member
It's worded as such that it is merely valid for use after 18:00.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
No such thing as peak trains. Off-peak is defined by time restrictions on the ticket held, which can vary. This is why I mentioned the wording of the restriction.

clagmonster

Established Member
National Rail say:
"The Devon Evening Ranger provides unlimited travel after 18:00 (also valid on the 1724 Gunnislake to Plymouth service (Mon-Fri) or 1730 Gunnislake - Plymouth on Saturdays) on National Rail services from St Budeaux Ferry Road and the Tamar Valley to Axminster and as far as Tiverton Parkway."
http://nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pre884ec0a04000200ad4c9439053fea/details.html
So, as you are travelling after 18:00, I would say ticket valid.

Established Member
Ok I just wanted to be sure as there was this situation last night but I waited for the 18:03 to PNZ just to make sure that I was covered.

Established Member
Ok I checked with FGW facebook after a slight dispute with a guard and they said it is for trains that are Scheduled to depart after 18:00. Who is right?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ask them to provide documentary proof.

What was the dispute btw?

IanD

Established Member
From FGW website:

Unlimited travel after 18:00 on National Rail services from St Budeaux Ferry Road and the Tamar Valley to Axminster and as far as Tiverton Parkway.

From NRE website:

Devon Evening Ranger available after 1800, 7 days a week. Also valid on the 1724 Gunnislake to Plymouth service (Mon-Fri) or 1730 Gunnislake - Plymouth on Saturdays.

No mention of scheduled departure time on either and as we know NRE is the definitive source of all information.

barrykas

Established Member
In this particular case, The Manual uses the same wording as NRE, namely travel after 1800, as opposed to travel on services scheduled to depart after 1800, so FGW and the Guard in question are wrong to say otherwise.

Established Member
In this particular case, The Manual uses the same wording as NRE, namely travel after 1800, as opposed to travel on services scheduled to depart after 1800, so FGW and the Guard in question are wrong to say otherwise.

Thanks for that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.