• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Time Travel, what would you go back and see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinsh

Established Member
Would have to be early 1950s to see the Irish Narrow Gauge - Tralee & Dingle, County Donegal, Donegal, West Clare etc.

Early 1960s, Great Central main line Sheffield - London

1963, Somerset & Dorset - no, wait, I actually did that at the time !

Non transport : 1965 Buffalo Springfield Concert - hang on, I did that time travel trip 2 years ago !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzSjPBbxAqU

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Rail related: These are not specific years but things I would like to have experienced.
1 - Travelling on trains from Treherbert to Swansea via the Rhondda Tunnel
2 - Travelling from Bideford to London on a direct steam service.
3 - Been around just when the railways were starting.

Not rail related:
1 - The 1927 FA Cup final when Cardiff City won it.
2 - The 1971 European Cup Winners cup match where Cardiff beat Real Madrid (although we then lost the second leg and lost on aggregate).
3 - To have seen all my grandparents. All but my father's mother died before I was born so I never knew them.

The 375 King

1981 so I could snog Gene Hunt.

2000 So I could prevent Pendos.

1981 So I could save the Deltics.

1991 So I could keep Mrs Thatcher in power.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I doubt just yourself could have kept her in power, it seems to me by the end of it she went power crazy (if you like) - that's when her Cabinet and party turned against her.

LE Greys

Established Member
On thinking about it, if I paid a visit to 1950. As well as going on The Capitals Limited, I could visit Sir Geoffrey de Havilland at Hatfield armed with a laptop, a DVD documentary about the Comet and my copy of his autobiography. That might prevent the Comet disasters, give de Havilland enough time to get the aircraft right, maybe produce the upgraded Comet 5 (which was supposed to be DC-8 size with podded engines) and do wonder for British aviation. Maybe we'd still have airliner production at Hatfield, but who's to say.

Of course, that creates a temporal paradox . . .

Schnellzug

Established Member
On thinking about it, if I paid a visit to 1950. As well as going on The Capitals Limited, I could visit Sir Geoffrey de Havilland at Hatfield armed with a laptop, a DVD documentary about the Comet and my copy of his autobiography. That might prevent the Comet disasters, give de Havilland enough time to get the aircraft right, maybe produce the upgraded Comet 5 (which was supposed to be DC-8 size with podded engines) and do wonder for British aviation. Maybe we'd still have airliner production at Hatfield, but who's to say.

Of course, that creates a temporal paradox . . .

I suspect any British long-haul airliner, designed to Government specification, would still be designed for about 24 passengers max, mind. The only way to have made British airliner designs competitive would have been to free BOAC from being a tool of the Government.
Which brings me to another idea; if BR had been denationalised when the Conservative government came in in 1951? How would things have been different then, I wonder? What if it could be arranged so that the Government could be persuaded to do that? <:D

LE Greys

Established Member
I suspect any British long-haul airliner, designed to Government specification, would still be designed for about 24 passengers max, mind. The only way to have made British airliner designs competitive would have been to free BOAC from being a tool of the Government.
Which brings me to another idea; if BR had been denationalised when the Conservative government came in in 1951? How would things have been different then, I wonder? What if it could be arranged so that the Government could be persuaded to do that? <:D

Hmm, might be interesting. Would we see Deltics, or would the LNER have driven through their plans to electrify with 1,500V d.c.? Well, we've had threads about that in the past.

Still, in the 1950s, de Havilland was a commercial enterprise, and only became part of Hawker Siddeley in 1960, then that was nationalised in 1977. The Hawker buyout probably wouldn't have happened if the Comet 5 had been in full production, the share price would have been far too high, but nationalisation probably would. Would de Havilland have screwed up their market forecasts with the Trident design? Probably not, the original design was 727-size, and they might well have stuck with it. Would they have build a 737-size mini-Comet? It seems likely, and if they had got the Lufthansa contract that Boeing got with the 737, then what?

I wish I knew.

Ivo

Established Member
I'd like to go back to the early 50s - the early days of F1. A time when small privateer teams could enter races easily. I would have attempted to enter an event myself and built a car to challenge the likes of Fangio, Farina, Ascari et al with :p

Schnellzug

Established Member
I'd like to go back to the early 50s - the early days of F1. A time when small privateer teams could enter races easily. I would have attempted to enter an event myself and built a car to challenge the likes of Fangio, Farina, Ascari et al with :p

ooh, now there's an idea. I think i'd choose the 1930s; the days of the Mercedes Silver Arrows and Auto Unions. I've seen some footage of the times they appeared at Donington, and they just looked awesome.

The Informer

Aberystwyth 37s. No question of it. The best railway experiences of the golden summers of my '80s youth. <sigh>

Still happens!
Although the 37s are now 97s but its still a growler. We had one 2 weeks ago at Aber parked up for towing tampers up and down due to ERTMS. :)

As for time travel to witness a railway event it would have to be..
July 3rd 1938, Stoke bank 90.20 milepost and watch in awe a STEAM LOCO achieve 126mph. That would be awesome!!!

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I'd like to go back to a time when smokers faced no silly rules and regs.

Ah for a can of McEwans Export and a Benson in the Buffet onboard - followed by a BR BLT......:lol: those were the days...cue Mary Hopkin !!!

Established Member
I'd go to the heyday of slammers and various old tube stocks. I'd love to go on a 1962 Stock, the Northern line with 1959 and 1972Mk1 Stock, and unrefurbished 1967 Stock on the Victoria line. The pre-war stock on the Berlin S-Bahn I'd also love to travel on as well.

On a non-rail related note, there are various bands who I would love to see live but no longer tour (at least not in original line-up), such as The Smiths, The Jam and Dr Feelgood.

VTPreston_Tez

I'd go back to Preston 2002 and stop the massive bus route change over as well as shortly after the Stagecoach changeover, I'd make sure an operator that weren't going to ruin Prestons travel system permanently took over.

Heinz57

I'd go back to the best era of Formula 1 in the 80s and early 90s. For one reason...

Senna

Butts

Veteran Member
I'd go back to the best era of Formula 1 in the 80s and early 90s. For one reason...

Senna

Never mind Senna (although a great Driver), if you want to see an era of even greater skill and courage go back to Jim Clark , Jackie Stewart and Graham Hills time. :p

LE Greys

Established Member
Never mind Senna (although a great Driver), if you want to see an era of even greater skill and courage go back to Jim Clark , Jackie Stewart and Graham Hills time. :p

I'd love to go back and see Nuvolari at the German Grand Prix in 1935. The year he took on the Auto-Unions and Mercedes in an old Alfa, and beat the lot of them. There wasn't a World Championship in those days, so we'll never know how many titles Nuvolari would have won, but I just want to see that race.

Heinz57

Yeah those champs from the 60s such as Clark and Stewart were good.

But its all about Senna in my books, he was the greatest of them all. Plus he was in the Turbocharged era. The cars going close to 200mph, slick tyres, little downforce and one-handed because they had manual gear boxes.

I'd also go back to 1998 and watch the spa GP. Back in 98 I didn't have as big interest in F1 so I didn't see the race, plus I was only 8 at the time so wouldn't remember it now. But what I've heard and read it was a pretty good race.

SS4

Established Member
26th January 1983 to see Villa beat Barcelona at Villa Park and lift the European Super Cup.
I'd like to see Curzon Street station in it's glory days

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Well, if I could go anywhere, absolutely anywhere at all in time,
I think I'd probably choose to go back to a week last Tuesday.
I did all the laundry, and then we watched TV.
Wow, we won't see the like of THOSE sorts of days again.

SS4

Established Member
Well, if I could go anywhere, absolutely anywhere at all in time,
I think I'd probably choose to go back to a week last Tuesday.
I did all the laundry, and then we watched TV.
Wow, we won't see the like of THOSE sorts of days again.

Damn you, I was looking for that quote!

Crimson_Quiff

The 1980s. Everything loco-hauled and even proper units! Plenty of Class 37 and 40 action to enjoy and no need to do railtours when there was plenty of timetabled passenger work. Music-wise, 80s were awesome for the Metal scene. Thrash-galore! <D

Toad

1966 - Start Western Bashing for 11 years, see England win the World Cup !

1930 - Work on and Travel on the GWR

1991 - Meet Mrs Toad again, sure its a different person these days ??:cry:

LE Greys

Established Member
I would go back and see the original (NY) Penn Station, before it was torn down by overzealous developers.

I agree with that, in those few years when T1s were in service. It's such a pity that none were preserved, they looked like absolute beasts!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
By a similar token, I'd go back and see Manchester Vic before the over-zelous redevelopment.

chris89

Established Member
Nothing to much railway based.

Apart from Ride on a APT-P and few other bits off stock.

Main ones though.

Euromillions go back and drop off hints for numbers and so on.

Go and see a Mosiqutio fly before the last Airworthy one crashed and sadly killed the crew.

After Winning Euro Millions

Go back in time again and buy large amounts of Shares from Google, Apple, Microsoft, So even greater money after.

After that go forward in time to see what happens, as don't want to change history at all (Big events etc)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.