• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Timetable issue - Route 479 in Epsom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Please could someone have a look at the linked timetable http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/479.pdf and tell me if the driver is entitled to refuse an adult ( not me ) access to the 07.52 from Epsom High Street to Leatherhead "because this is a school bus only so get off; you can't come on here!" or not?

It's not a dedicated school bus route number, it's a slight school days only variation to a normal part of the public timetable. There are no notes visible on the timetable that place any apparent restriction on the use of it.

Note: It's a .pdf so I can't produce a quote from it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
Please could someone have a look at the linked timetable http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/479.pdf and tell me if the driver is entitled to refuse an adult ( not me ) access to the 07.52 from Epsom High Street to Leatherhead "because this is a school bus only so get off; you can't come on here!" or not?

It's not a dedicated school bus route number, it's a slight school days only variation to a normal part of the public timetable. There are no notes visible on the timetable that place any apparent restriction on the use of it.

Note: It's a .pdf so I can't produce a quote from it.
It is not my area but my initial thought was to check the provider's website (http://www.busesetc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/479Timetable-4thSeptember2017.pdf).

It does indicate that journey runs on school days only but no indication that it is restricted to certain types of passengers.

Likewise Surrey CC (https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/7892/479-040917.pdf)

If no members of the public can get on, I would hate to think how many passengers get on the school holidays version.

I did notice that the High Street stop appears to be served only on this school service (it is very difficult to track the route in the centre of Epsom on the bus map). Maybe the bus gets packed? The best bet would to be enquire with the provider (Buses Excetera).

Wirewiper

I would definitely encourage the passenger to make a written complaint to Buses Excetera. The designation SDO simply means that that particular journey operates on school days only; it is NOT restricted to schoolchildren only. The management will probably want to speak to the driver and put him right.

If Buses Excetera does not get back to them with a satisfactory response, they should take the matter up with Bus Users UK.

http://www.bususers.org/complaints/

PeterC

Established Member
It isn't clear from the OP. Have drivers been refusing access or is this a hypothetical question?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
There's nothing on Traveline to suggest that there's any restriction - just SDO.

embers25

Established Member
It's perfectly acceptable to travel on that service. Buses Excetera have form on this in Woking. When the 73 ran just from Chobham to Kingfield for the college the drivers always tried to refuse all passengers boarding at the station or stops after. Before anyone says there are alternative services such as the 34, that is true but the 73 was the most reliable and the cheapest. The same issue applied with the reverse 1615 journey from the college where boarding at the college wishing to go to the Station or York Road was frowned upon.
With the changes to the 81 the morning 73 got extended back into Woking after Kingfield and so drivers now have to pick up at all stops in the morning but the afternoon journey is still an issue with some drivers. Buses Excetera 'can' also a bit flexible with timetables with the 73, 28 and 479 often laws unto themselves.

alex397

Established Member
If its a registered service, which the 479 most certainly is, then anyone can use it. Many companies tend to forget this.

londonbridge

Established Member
Have posted this before, but I once had a woman arguing that I wasn't supposed to be using a Tfl mobility bus. I replied by asking her to point out where it said non-disabled people weren't allowed to use it, which she didn't like. Have also used one of the school bus routes (the number usually starts with a 6) on a couple of occasions with no issues.

Wirewiper

TfL is very clear that its 6xx school routes are public bus services and may be used by all passengers. There were complaints from parents of pupils at the Jews Free School on Kingsbury about this policy, citing security concerns, but it was pointed out that if they wished to have private transport for their children to and from the school it was not TfL's place to provide this and they would have to contract and pay for it themselves.

Similarly, the 9xx Mobility Bus routes (although there are hardly any left now) have always been open to all passengers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It isn't clear from the OP. Have drivers been refusing access or is this a hypothetical question?

It happened on Wednesday, but not to me.

Thank you to everyone for confirming my suspicions. I am encouraging the person in question to make a formal complaint, openly copied to the relevant Travel Commissioner(s).

To respond to a couple of the points raised above:

* Most of the time when I see a bus run by this company in Epsom, it is virtually empty.

* I am not at all surprised that this company has form for this kind of bovine generated fertiliser.

* The "flexibility" on timetables is no surprise to me; I have also observed them being a bit flexible on stops as well and have on more than one occasion seen their ( 318? ) dropping someone off where there is no bus stop anywhere nearby. Specifically right here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3...4!1sEqF7zST4-DD0peZphW2cUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 outside the nail shop - yes, completely blocking the road...

Typhoon

Established Member
There are two seemingly popular secondary schools on route (one a faith school), hence my concern that this particular journey might be packed. If so then the driver could have explained this to the passenger, not adopt this aggressive stance. I asked at my local travel centre about using a 'school bus' listed in a timetable, the answer was 'provided you can stand the noise'.

Incidentally, the Buses Excetera website quotes 'So never be afraid to tell us what you think'. The passenger has an open invitation!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Most of the pupils for those secondary schools use the dedicated 6xx bus routes and the 408 ( which is half the price of the Buses Excetera school bus fares ) or go by train school minibus connection from Ashtead or walk from Leatherhead ).

Incidentally, the Buses Excetera website quotes 'So never be afraid to tell us what you think'.

I'd be tempted to tell them that I think they live up to their nickname... but that might not help with the complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.