• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Timetables 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireMix

Hi All. I am looking for some information on a timetable that my parents used for our family holiday in Margate. This will be in July 1966 and going from Sheffield Victoria to Manchester Piccadilly then down to London and from London to Margate. We was stood on Sheffield Midland Station at 02:00am only to be told the Train would be going from Sheffield Victoria I can remember arriving at Margate Station at about 14:00. Any help on this thread would be much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
My timetable is a from 1963 and I would guess that your train was whatever replaced the sleeper that it shows from Glasgow St Enoch to St Pancras.

St Enoch closed about a month before you travelled so the service would have been altered.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
If you were heading to Manchester for an early morning departure it would suggest a specific summer relief train, otherwise you’d have started later and gone to St Pancras?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Seems like a most bizarre itinerary.

You must have caught the 0306 Sheffield Victoria-Manchester Piccadilly (the last leg of the 2155 Marylebone-Manchester Piccadilly) and arrived at 0417. Then hung around for the first super-whizzo new electric express of the day to Euston at 0720, arriving at 1010.

Was a family member an enthusiast wanting to sample the new electrics? The alternative was the 0710 Sheffield Midland-St Pancras, arriving at 1016.

A bit odd to get up around five hours earlier to get to London a mere six minutes 'sooner'.

Last edited:

PeterC

Established Member
Seems like a most bizarre itinerary.

You must have caught the 0306 Sheffield Victoria-Manchester Piccadilly (the last leg of the 2155 Marylebone-Manchester Piccadilly) and arrived at 0417. Then hung around for the first super-whizzo new electric express of the day to Euston at 0720, arriving at 1010.

Was a family member an enthusiast wanting to sample the new electrics? The alternative was the 0710 Sheffield Midland-St Pancras, arriving at 1016.

A bit odd to get up around five hours earlier to get to London a mere six minutes 'sooner'.
More likely they thought that the Glasgow St Enoch to St Pancras overnight service was still running. This was only as month after St Enoch closed. Previously that train left at around 03:30 and got to St Pancras at 07:00.

earthmover

Eastern Region Timetable April 66 to March 67, does show 00:45 from Sheffield Victoria arriving London Marylebone 05:48 via Nottingham Victoria, unlikely, but interesting range of overnight services then available, started at Manchester Central 23:05, calling at Guide Bridge 23:36, Penistone 00:04, Nottingham Victoria 01:58, and Leicester Central 02:46

YorkshireMix

Thank you everybody for answering the thread I will see if I can get hold of the Eastern Region Timetable from April 66 to March 67.

I should have pointed out that I come from Sheffield born and bred and I think that the time was 00:45am and not 02:00am because if my memory serves me correct it was mid morning when we arrived in Margate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.