• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Timetabling during the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas31

On Moderation
How badly affected were services during this time? I know there was a wartime timetable in effect but were services affected further during the pandemic?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
How badly affected were services during this time? I know there was a wartime timetable in effect but were services affected further during the pandemic?
That's a very interesting question. I've no idea but I know the Flu DID have a bigger impact than is perhaps thought today as of course overshadowed by war time events.

I certainly recall my grandfather (who fought in WW1) and my grandmother talking about it in a way that made it clear it had a big impact on them. I can't recall if they knew people who died of it but I suspect that at least indirectly they did.

But I wonder if then even despite the war, railways had higher levels of staffing in general, and less strict restrictions on length of hours worked etc so easier to 'keep things rolling' from those who were not struck down with it?

WesternLancer

Established Member
My copy of Rail Magazine arrived today - full history feature article in it about impact of the Spanish flu - not read it yet but it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.