• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tipping on National Express Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
Due to the post strike effects of the RMT action, I travelled by coach from the South Coast to London Victoria and back yesterday.

This morning I have received a survey from NExp which after asking views on yesterdays journeys then sought my opinion on tipping drivers (attitude towards, when, how much, methodology - cash, card etc etc).

I have to say that this rather concerns me in that it seems to be trying to encourage to normalise and promote what hitherto has been an informal optional process. Is this a way in which National Express is seeking to find a means to boost drivers earnings without it coming from the company itself?

I am undecided on my views on this and would welcome others thoughts.

BTW yesterdays journeys were excellent other than we were 25 minutes late arriving at Victoria on the up service and 20 minutes late arriving back in the evening. Due visibly to traffic congestion in London. I had thought that the price of fuel would impact car journeys but obviously not if this is anything to go by.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Utterly stupid idea. Tips are for exceptional personal service. You don't, by definition, receive personal service on a coach. Thus under no circumstances would I ever tip a public transport coach driver.

On the other hand if American tourists like giving their money away, why not provide a facility for them to do so?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Utterly stupid idea. Tips are for exceptional personal service. You don't, by definition, receive personal service on a coach. Thus under no circumstances would I ever tip a public transport coach driver.

On the other hand if American tourists like giving their money away, why not provide a facility for them to do so?
You do experience personal service on a coach. A cheery greeting from the driver, assistance with luggage, advice about fares or a safe and comfortable journey. Some drivers are better than others, so why shouldn't they be recognised?

It's not something I personally would have thought to do, to be honest, but it has happened on private hires where there was a whip round for the driver. At the end of the day it's the passenger's choice to decide what they want to do with their money.

I would rather have drivers being adequately paid in the first place, though.

Typhoon

Established Member

I think it is possible to receive 'exceptional personal service' but, by its very definition, it occurs very, very rarely, indeed so rarely that I don't think there should be rules for it. If I wanted to tip, I would give the driver cash, certainly not pay by card, I wouldn't want NExp to know anything about it, it is between me and the driver. How much - no fixed amount, it would depend on the service in the same way that my annual tip to the postman, binmen, etc are. All of this leaves the tax arrangement to the tradesperson.

I have seen passengers tip drivers when removing luggage from the hold. That is not 'exceptional' to me so I don't, but that is their choice.

If a driver provides very good service, I would contact the (vehicle owning) company and inform them, with a request that they notify me that it had been passed on. I am not so naive that I don't realise that a confirmation may mean not a fat lot.

Genuinely don't know but do Americans actually use National Express?

This morning I have received a survey from NExp which after asking views on yesterdays journeys then sought my opinion on tipping drivers (attitude towards, when, how much, methodology - cash, card etc etc).

I have to say that this rather concerns me in that it seems to be trying to encourage to normalise and promote what hitherto has been an informal optional process. Is this a way in which National Express is seeking to find a means to boost drivers earnings without it coming from the company itself?
Seems like it to me. 'We estimate that a driver earns on average £** in tips per journey, this pushes the average salary to ...'. If I was offered the survey, I would respond in as negatively a way as possible to try to drill it into the heads of NExp bosses that the public don't like the idea so steer clear.
I'm trying to get it into my head how paying by card works. A restaurant is easy as it is added to the bill, which is paid at the end. Coach, you pay before travel, you can't sensibly tip before travelling. I have visions of people queuing to use the hand held device at some out of the way bus station, while the driver looks at their watch, waiting to depart for the next stop.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You do experience personal service on a coach. A cheery greeting from the driver, assistance with luggage, advice about fares or a safe and comfortable journey.

All of those are basic expectations. OK, some drivers fail to give you some of them and are right misery guts (most aren't), but I don't think any of those things worthy of a financial gratuity.

Some drivers are better than others, so why shouldn't they be recognised?

That's the purpose of bonus and disciplinary schemes as appropriate.

It's not something I personally would have thought to do, to be honest, but it has happened on private hires where there was a whip round for the driver. At the end of the day it's the passenger's choice to decide what they want to do with their money.

It is, yes, and nothing stopping them slipping them a fiver now.

I would rather have drivers being adequately paid in the first place, though.

As would I (in hospitality, too - basically all restaurants need to put their prices up 12% or thereabouts, increase the staffs' wages by the extra income, and apply service compris).

Titfield

Established Member
I'm trying to get it into my head how paying by card works. A restaurant is easy as it is added to the bill, which is paid at the end. Coach, you pay before travel, you can't sensibly tip before travelling. I have visions of people queuing to use the hand held device at some out of the way bus station, while the driver looks at their watch, waiting to depart for the next stop.

The survey mentioned passengers being sent a link post travel asking them to provide feedback and tip if they wished to do so.

I am sorry I didnt take screen shots of the survey as it was quite interesting in that Nexp asked quite a few questions to gauge both likely customer reaction and the means by which tipping could be made possible (and simple).

Out of interest Thomas McLachlan in his excellent two volume history of Grey Green mentions that back in the 50s and 60s drivers could make a living in the summer season on tips alone! Some may find this fanciful but a former colleague of mine who had been a driver at that time (but working for a coach operator in Bushey) had previously told me that self same fact and was quite proud of the fact that he had been able to buy his house (pay his mortgage) on his tips. RIP Frank.

Typhoon

Established Member
The survey mentioned passengers being sent a link post travel asking them to provide feedback and tip if they wished to do so.

I am sorry I didnt take screen shots of the survey as it was quite interesting in that Nexp asked quite a few questions to gauge both likely customer reaction and the means by which tipping could be made possible (and simple).
That is interesting. While I was opening this up, I had an incoming 'reminder' to leave feedback for my supermarket visit last weekend. If I complete it I might win some points (very, very unlikely, I almost never win anything); the visit was unremarkable so I probably won't bother. I suspect others take the same view. They might complete the feedback on the coach but once away from it, the chances of doing so diminishes (especially if there is no, or little, incentive for doing so). I once complied a questionnaire which had a fairly low response, the committee that charged me with compiling expressed disappointment until one member indicated that their understanding was that the standard rate of return was about 10%. May have changed.
I'm no psychologist but some of those who give overwhelmingly positive feedback may feel guilty if they don't leave a tip so could be tempted to tone their praise down.

Regarding the drivers of the 50's and 60's, I would be interested in knowing whether they stayed with the party and took them on excursions because that may make a difference. Also, whether they were all going on holiday, or whether some were going on working holidays, the latter would also make a difference. Additionally, and I am old enough to remember, holidays were once a year, if that; an event. No 'second holidays', 'winter breaks' or 'weekends away' when i was a kid.

Titfield

Established Member
Regarding the drivers of the 50's and 60's, I would be interested in knowing whether they stayed with the party and took them on excursions because that may make a difference. Also, whether they were all going on holiday, or whether some were going on working holidays, the latter would also make a difference. Additionally, and I am old enough to remember, holidays were once a year, if that; an event. No 'second holidays', 'winter breaks' or 'weekends away' when i was a kid.
Grey Green principally operated year round express services from London to East Anglia and Kent, seasonal services to Sussex, Hampshire, Dorset and Devon.
They also carried out some private hire work and excursions but the core were the licensed express services. Extended (holiday) tours came later.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
FWIW I think holiday tour coaches are to some extent different. The drivers stay with you for your whole trip and are a key part of the experience.

Scheduled express coaching isn't an experience to anyone other than a bus enthusiast (other than a bad one, I suppose), it's a cheap way from A to B.

Simon75

On Moderation
With some National Express routes, they are 'double crewed', would you tip both ?

Last edited by a moderator:

S&CLER

I organise 2 coach holidays a year for our walking club, and receive refunds for 2 or sometimes 3 "free places" if we have a specific number of passengers. I use this free place money to pay my own expenses and the driver's tip, usually around £200, or £1 per person per day on a 5-day holiday, which I think is reasonable. It's a painless procedure, as I avoid having to collect tips. We have our favourite driver, whom I ask for by name and who has been coming with us for a few years. I wouldn't tip on a scheduled service unless there was something exceptional to reward.

Forty29

What next tipping train drivers? Seriously l think you pay your fare and shouldn't expect to pay anymore. Only time expected and usually asked is an excursion whilst on holiday abroad.

Even Americans don't do this, and I can't put it any better than someone called nathanaz from a reddit thread.

nathanaz said:
If you had tip money, you probably wouldn't be riding the bus....

So, no.

edit: I'm talking specifically about Greyhound-type ****. Not tours or airport (where they handle bags, etc)

David Burrows

High time tipping was abandoned. One should expect people to give the service they are paid to give, not be expected to give more. If staff in say restaurants are not paid sufficiently by their employers, why should we be expected to make up their earnings? Disgusting habit.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
High time tipping was abandoned. One should expect people to give the service they are paid to give, not be expected to give more. If staff in say restaurants are not paid sufficiently by their employers, why should we be expected to make up their earnings? Disgusting habit.
Don't tip, then. Nobody is forcing you, and ultimately it's down to the customer to decide whether or not they think the service they've been provided with is worthy of a little bit extra. If a service meets my expectations I'm unlikely to tip, but if someone exceeds expectations I'll happily do so if I can afford it.

I have never seen anyone tipping on a regular coach journey in the UK, although private hires are a different matter. When I travelled on the Greyhound in the USA some drivers seemed to be pushing for a tip.

I once had a £50 tip from a decker full of people on a local water company party private hire. That was more than a day's wages at the time. Plus, I was paid 10 hours but only drove about 4, and they let us access the BBQ. Happy days.

I did once tip a service bus driver. I bought a £5.70 day ticket, gave him a tenner and told him to keep the change and get himself a breakfast. It was the day I retired.

Mawkie

I used to work for Nat Ex, mainly doing the airport runs - it was quite common for people to give me a tip after I'd dragged their bag out of the depths. This could have been them trying to get rid of their 'English money' before they flew home.

When I would do private hires for a different company, it would be very unusual not to receive a substantial tip at the end of the day or evening (£50+).

philthetube

Established Member
I have occasionally tipped a bus driver if deserved, It is not the cash, I know from experience that it will make their day and be a tale to tell in the mess room for years.

richw

Veteran Member
With some National Express routes, they are 'double crewed', would you tip both ?
Driver Etiquette for double manned workings in the private hire world is to pool all tips and split 50/50. I would assume the same in this scenario.
Likewise when I’ve done work with a tour guide we put all tips at the end together and split equally.

At the risk of going off topic, as a service driver we often got things off the passengers; sweets, bags of crisps, I once had a woman give me a fiver for giving her the shoes she had left on the bus, I had never even left the cab as they were handed to me, but she insisted. The odd phone number in my salad days.

richw

Veteran Member
At the risk of going off topic, as a service driver we often got things off the passengers; sweets, bags of crisps, I once had a woman give me a fiver for giving her the shoes she had left on the bus, I had never even left the cab as they were handed to me, but she insisted. The odd phone number in my salad days.
We have a bloke who gives us a banana and a pack of hard boiled sweets when he gets on the bus at Morrisons after doing his shopping. He explained to me once he gives a banana with the sweets as a driver once declined the sweets due to being diabetic, so felt the need to ensure catering for all!

philthetube

Established Member
when I did a regular express service from Heathrow I used to have a passenger who brought me a cup of coffee every morning.

MotCO

Established Member

I think for 'went out of their way' , 'above and beyond the call of duty' etc may warrant a tip. As a non-coach example, I once left my coat on the train. The ticket collector phoned ahead and arranged for my coat to come back on the next service. I was reunited with my coat within half an hour. Now that is what I call service, and next day I gave the ticket collector a box of chocolates.

Status
Not open for further replies.