• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tipping on the Caley Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Would have added to this thread http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32842 if it hadn't been closed.

The 4th and final post on that thread
I tried to tip a very polite and helpful first class attendant on EMT a few weeks back and he informed me he couldn't take a tip as they were not aloud!

I usually give a tip on the Caledonian Sleeper.

made me want to contact Scotrail and see what they had to say in case I unwittingly embarrassed one of their staff. I just had a reply today:

Your comments were very encouraging and I am grateful to you for taking the time and trouble to write.

Since taking over the franchise we have spent a great deal of time and effort in our attempts to improve our overall standards on ScotRail. We are therefore delighted to receive such nice letters from our customers when we have provided them with a first class service. I can confirm that sleeper staff can accept tips if the passenger wishes to give them one, it is then up to the individual staff member whether they accept the tip.

I was also delighted to learn of your satisfaction with the level of service provided by members of our telephone staff of ScotRail. We have set ourselves high standards and I am glad these have met with your expectations.

I will ensure that your comments are passed to the relevant manager for the staff members concerned and I am sure you will continue to receive this standard of service when you travel with us in the future.

Thank you for contacting ScotRail. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

I wonder if they are so effusive with complaints :D

BTW, what is it with all the closed threads on this forum? On any other forum I use that's reserved for problem threads.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
After a while thread here automatically lock. it stops people bringing up a thread from 1906 asking if the MML still uses steam locos and stuff :)

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
After a while thread here automatically lock. it stops people bringing up a thread from 1906 asking if the MML still uses steam locos and stuff :)

Thanks, I see - though some older forums seem to cope without this.
Tends to generate multiple/duplicate threads I would have thought.
Do the Mods ever reopen/merge threads here?

BestWestern

Established Member
Tends to generate multiple/duplicate threads I would have thought. Do the Mods ever reopen/merge threads here?

Yup, the Mods are very proactive around here and will happily split/merge threads as necessary, keeps things nice and tidy ;)

Yew

Established Member
Quite interesting that you can tip on the sleeper, I might be travelling on it in a few months so ill have to see :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BTW, what is it with all the closed threads on this forum? On any other forum I use that's reserved for problem threads.
Old threads get closed by our system after a period of time (it's a process that automatically locks all threads that have had no posts within a specified period of time). Best to contact one of the team using PM or the Contact Us form (link at the bottom of each page) with any questions as, sadly, we are unable to read every post posted (there was once a time that I could do that; that has long gone!) and we may miss your question/feedback otherwise.
That is true, in this case re-opening the old thread would have been no problem at all, but in some cases it causes massive confusion.

I see this on MSE (MoneySavingExpert) all the time, I've even seen someone dig up a 2-year-old thread about Penalty Fares to ask about an Unpaid Fare Notice for an Anytime Fare and threat of prosecution if they did not pay it. The original issue was in a different part of the country, a different TOC, with different policies and rules in place, and the issues were separate.

Locking old threads keeps such occurrences to a minimum and helps avoid confusion. I admit it's not perfect but we find it does help.

Yup, the Mods are very proactive around here and will happily split/merge threads as necessary, keeps things nice and tidy ;)
Thanks! :) Splitting in particular can be quite time consuming, but where necessary I will do it if it makes the threads a lot easier to follow. Merging is much easier. However we generally can only act when we receive a report using the report button (
report.gif
) as otherwise we may be unaware that there's an issue.

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. I can see the mods are active!

Sorry if that sounded a bit cheeky from a new member. Slap me down if required:D

MarkyMarkD

I see this on MSE (MoneySavingExpert) all the time, I've even seen someone dig up a 2-year-old thread about Penalty Fares to ask about an Unpaid Fare Notice for an Anytime Fare and threat of prosecution if they did not pay it. The original issue was in a different part of the country, a different TOC, with different policies and rules in place, and the issues were separate.
This is a consequence of people using search engines to find the threads, rather than the forum indices. It can be quite annoying if there is a current thread on exactly the same subject and yet an ancient one gets revived instead.

On the other hand, there are occasions when it is good to (for example) get an update on the subject of a thread which "went cold" a long time ago.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On the QE2 forum, "grave digging" ( the use of old threads ) is actively encouraged, although admittedly that is rather different cirumstances.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the QE2 forum, "grave digging" ( the use of old threads ) is actively encouraged, although admittedly that is rather different cirumstances.

Conversely on another forum I frequent necroposting (posting in dead threads) is strongly derided and can lead to the posting of rather odd pictures to try and dissuade others from doing it:

15324d1247793304-countries-most-beautiful-women-necropost-kitten.jpg

What can I say, they're a strange bunch :lol:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Conversely on another forum I frequent necroposting (posting in dead threads) is strongly derided ...

The mere invocation of the expression 'necroposting' would be enough to put me off.

Makes it sound very weird and antisocial :D

bnm

Established Member
Back on topic:

Last year on the Highland Caley I tipped the Customer Host after I'd demolished my haggis, neeps and tatties. OK, so this was only microwaved fare, with haggis from a tin, but it was delish nonetheless. Perfectly accompanied by a glass of Scottish ale, although the name of said ale escapes me....

rmt-driver

You've always been able to tip on east coast services I believe. Even back to GNER days I remember when paying by card, it asked if you wanted to add a gratuity

Sapphire Blue

Back on topic:

Last year on the Highland Caley I tipped the Customer Host after I'd demolished my haggis, neeps and tatties. OK, so this was only microwaved fare, with haggis from a tin, but it was delish nonetheless. Perfectly accompanied by a glass of Scottish ale, although the name of said ale escapes me....

Hopefully for you it was the delightful Innis and Gunn.
Perfect accompaniment.

Back on thread, I feel a bit guilty now for not tipping on the occasions, on the sleeper, the service has merited it.
I too was under the false impression that tipping was not allowed/welcome.

mralexn

Quite interesting that you can tip on the sleeper, I might be travelling on it in a few months so ill have to see :)

They Awlsow Recermend yew yews a spel checkar ;)

Sorry, Wrong Quote there :P

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
They Awlsow Recermend yew yews a spel checkar ;)

Sorry, Wrong Quote there :P

A spell checker won't have any problem with 'ill' or 'I'll'
A grammar checker should pick up contextual errors though.

I have a Masters in Pedantry :D

Roylang

Would have added to this thread http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32842 if it hadn't been closed.

The 4th and final post on that thread

made me want to contact Scotrail and see what they had to say in case I unwittingly embarrassed one of their staff. I just had a reply today:

I wonder if they are so effusive with complaints :D

Nice to see them reply in such a manner. I wrote (email) to FGW a while ago to praise the train manager after she helped me with a problem with my travel and got back an email telling me that I could not claim compensation.

Roy

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You've always been able to tip on east coast services I believe. Even back to GNER days I remember when paying by card, it asked if you wanted to add a gratuity
Sometimes there was a less than subtle hint!

A host weilding a payment card reader would nicely ask if it was "alright to take payment now?" with a lovely smile, while at the same time firmly dropping a tupperware bowl of loose change on the table within convenient reach of everyone.

The journeys always concluded with all the loose change (after balancing the till receipts with the cash) being divided among the crew. I understand that this was one of the practices which was to be undermined by the 'free' First Class catering offering on EastCoast [see other threads here and here].

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.