• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tirana / Albania - anyone been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Just found some decent flights for January 2016, and I'm tempted to go with the Mrs for a week. We like going to 'different' locations. Any tips / advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kingston_toon

Just found some decent flights for January 2016, and I'm tempted to go with the Mrs for a week. We like going to 'different' locations. Any tips / advice?

Myself and a friend flew into Tirana around 6 years ago... we travelled by train to Durres then up to Shkoder. Blagged a lift across the border into Montenegro with the local chief of police! The attached was genuinely one of three carriages on our Durres - Shkoder train. The other two carriages were marginally better, but not a lot. The train departed packed.

Great trip. Thoroughly recommended before they either close the railway or buy second hand Desiros.

Attachments

• IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 93

kingston_toon

Myself and a friend flew into Tirana around 6 years ago... we travelled by train to Durres then up to Shkoder. Blagged a lift across the border into Montenegro with the local chief of police! The attached was genuinely one of three carriages on our Durres - Shkoder train. The other two carriages were marginally better, but not a lot. The train departed packed.

Great trip. Thoroughly recommended before they either close the railway or buy second hand Desiros.

And this is the arrival of said train at Shkoder.

Attachments

• IMG_1686.jpg
    IMG_1686.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 74

gazthomas

Established Member
I stayed in Tirana while on a charity drive to Skopje in Macedonia 2 years ago. The station was closed and almost derlict when I went, so I am not surprised to hear it has been demolished. I liked Tirana, a real Cold War feel about the main square with its mosaic mural, but plenty to do and the food and drink was really cheap. Buzzing night scene too. Will it be really cold in January?

stuartmoss

Thanks for replies, I'm certainly tempted. January average is 7 degrees C, so pretty good I'd say.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've been to Albania and I found it an interesting place to visit. Was years ago, but I did get a ride on the trains - to be fair to them, the carriage pictured above is meant I think to be a luggage van!

I wonder how long the poshed up ones will stay posh :)

Also, at the risk of being called stupid (it was going at about 20mph!) it seemed to be one of those countries where the attached was permitted... They also seem to like the idea of HSTs! :)

For getting around, though, the "fourgon" minibuses are a lot more practical. Only thing to watch out for is that the last services tend to leave places around 4pm - for historical reasons it's not somewhere you travel in the evening (though these days it's pretty safe).

Attachments

• albaniantrain.jpg
    albaniantrain.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Albanian railways poster.jpg
    Albanian railways poster.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

dutchflyer

Established Member
Yes, have been, in spring-early may and quite some time ago by now. I highly doubt that there is enough in 1 week to keep you+the missus amused in cold winter. You might consider a circle trip via Macedonia-the Ohrid Lake to see more. Traffic-on the road-is extremely chaotic, it also appeared that a real man could only drive in a (battered) Mercedes. Even at that time of year it was pretty cold and also windy/rainy.
Lower airfares could be found to Skopje (WIZZair=the RYAN of the east) or to Corfu (if there are any charters in winter). Onward transport is easy.

cf111

Established Member
I went on a day trip to Albania from Corfu about five years ago. It was a bit grim I thought, and 40 degrees!

Rick1984

Wanted to do that myself but our rep was conspicuous by her absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.