• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tissue begging on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can safely say that I've never heard of 'tissue begging' let alone encountered it. I've had a few beggars using the 'I'm a little short for my journey' line but I usually cut them off before they finish by telling them I've got no change

If you did want to help someone in that position and be sure they were genuine, ask them what ticket they need and offer to purchase it for them by card (if it's an expensive one, ask them to give you the cash they do have towards it). If they're just after money they will soon mumble and wander off.

Kris28

The central line seems to be getting worst for this every morning I get the Newbury Park service from Perivale at 9.35am. normally around North Acton there's a lady gets on with a note. Works the train as far as Notting Hill Gate, then heads back westbound.

Dave W

I echo the views this is largely organised, especially those around Westminster, who I often recognise sharing “props”. It is once again becoming more prevalent - probably 1 in 5 journeys on the tube I see someone.

Re traffic lights... I actually called 101 last week because I saw a man on crutches tottering out on to the North Circular as the lights changed. I sat waiting in the right turn lane as he dodged between three lanes of 40mph traffic, waving a Costa cup. How much of it was an act I can’t say, but I certainly didn’t fancy being a captive audience... Of course by the time I got through to 101 I was at the other end of Palmers Green.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Its common in many cities in the ´continent´ too. The general imperssion is these are Romanians (occasionally Bulgarians) having developed a well-trained method and moving on once the heat becomes to big (or; TP comes along too often). If they ride ´black´=ticketless or not depends on he local situation and/or if cheap ride-at-will-tix are available. Anyway, even if fined it would not really hurt them that much-no fixed adress, you simply move on. Many also suspect them to keep an eagle eye out for any things worth stealing (anyone has a mobile fone), like laptops and the like. Plan B are the ladies with rented babies to solicit on your pitifullness, though this is likely not yet much seen in that island across the Northsea. Plan C is copy-copy of ¨streetwise´ etc mags that earnest homeless sell to make a minimum of income.
One must admire the smartness that these people are able to develop in finding routes where this is viable, where enough takings are to make it all worthwhile (compare: the average salary in those countries for normal jobs is in the 5/600 EUR range, per MONTH-as anyone here never gets paid by the week, plus these are tipically people who cannot make it into normal jobs) and to feel when its time to move on etc. Also how to share out the trips made (so not to bump into others) and when the times are when most people with ´golden hearts´ sit in trains. Thus not usually morning peaks-too full and too many who do same ride every day. Thats logistics that any TOC would envy!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I echo the views this is largely organised, especially those around Westminster, who I often recognise sharing “props”. It is once again becoming more prevalent - probably 1 in 5 journeys on the tube I see someone.

Re traffic lights... I actually called 101 last week because I saw a man on crutches tottering out on to the North Circular as the lights changed. I sat waiting in the right turn lane as he dodged between three lanes of 40mph traffic, waving a Costa cup. How much of it was an act I can’t say, but I certainly didn’t fancy being a captive audience... Of course by the time I got through to 101 I was at the other end of Palmers Green.

The A406 at the sharp corner where the road off goes to Arnos Grove? Yeah, I've seen him so he's obviously a regular. Also a guy hobbling around, without crutches, near Silver Street station also on the A406, going up to cars with a cup.

I remember when they used to try and wash windows. Now they must intimidate people, who I note keep their windows firmly closed and ignore them.

20 years ago when I lived near there, many cars didn't have air conditioning so on a hot day it was far easier for beggars to, well, beg on roads.

Belperpete

Established Member
Always thought this quote summed it up well, Henning Wehn: “We don't do charity in Germany. We pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities."
Seemed to be no shortage of homeless and beggars in Cologne when I visited last year, some very persistent.

Black Lane

At Manchester Victoria I encountered a gang of east european women selling roses.

They thrust a card (laminated!) in peoples hand with a sob story written on it.

When I refused to buy one they were not best pleased.

GodAtum

On Moderation
2 beggars has the unfortunate luck of getting on a train full of football fans, surprisingly they didn't get any money!

03_179

Established Member
I've seen them many times between London and Croydon on various route.

Did the old 61016 text and nothing happens.

pt_mad

Established Member
They aren't "public spaces". They are places open to the genereal public; there is a big difference.

But they aren't owned by the public, are they? They are owned by (generally) Network Rail.
You may also note that they are covered by Legislation that does not allow begging.
I didn't say public spaces as you quoted me, I said public places. They are definitely public places.

Network Rail though being owned by the taxpayer. That is the point I was getting at.

VinnieManc

At Manchester Victoria I encountered a gang of east european women selling roses.

They thrust a card (laminated!) in peoples hand with a sob story written on it.

When I refused to buy one they were not best pleased.

being of a somewhat permanently grumpy disposition this particular group get some colourful words from me.

Manchesters bad enough with the spice rats and general homeless people up around Piccadilly Gardens never mind these aggressive (or rather forceful) organised gangs getting in your face at Victoria

Last edited by a moderator:

pt_mad

Established Member
You may also note that they are covered by Legislation that does not allow begging.
Definitely. I'm not condoning it. The issue probably being that them being there in itself, I imagine, wouldn't be illegal if either it was an open station, or, they had a valid ticket or local pass. So they would have to be caught begging by authority to be removed I assume.

AgentGemini

This is happening in Birmingham too, focused on the Cross City and Snow Hill commuter lines. BTP already in operation to stop it.

D6975

Established Member
In London I’ve encountered tissue beggars on suburban services out of Victoria and also on the 378s on the East London line.
Slightly OT but the amount of Beggars as you come out of New Street heading towards Tesco Metro is amazing... I used to go for a drink round there but not been for ages.
At New St beggars go bothering people in the McDonalds by the top exit. They ask for money and for the coffee bean stickers off cups that you collect for a free drink.

Had the "I am a pound short for my fare" at Cardiff Central from a man who sounded and looked genuine.I believed him and gave him a pound.On my return a few hours later he was still at it!
Same thing happened to me at Warrington bank quay the person concerned still in the station 2 hours later

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom B

Established Member
I've encountered that at London termini. Like you, I feel sympathetic and, on a number of occasions, have offered to buy the 'stranded' person a ticket but, funnily enough, they always disappear on the way to the booking office.
Maybe one day I'll meet someone who calls my bluff because they know how to get a refund on an unused ticket...

As I recall, refunds must now be by the same method of purchase - so if you paid by credit card the refund must go back on that card, cash to cash, cheque to cheque. Anti money laundering I believe.

A few years ago I got one asking for a quid to make a phone call on the payphone. I told him how to get a reverse charge call - he made an allegation about my parents marital status in the 80s!

gazzaa2

being of a somewhat permanently grumpy disposition this particular group get some colourful words from me.

Manchesters bad enough with the spice rats and general homeless people up around Piccadilly Gardens never mind these aggressive (or rather forceful) organised gangs getting in your face at Victoria

Aggressive beggars hassling people need to be moved on by the police or charged.

evergreenadam

Seen it regularly in London in recent weeks for first time in a long while. District Line around Hammersmith.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
One must admire the smartness that these people are able to develop in finding routes where this is viable, where enough takings are to make it all worthwhile (compare: the average salary in those countries for normal jobs is in the 5/600 EUR range, per MONTH-as anyone here never gets paid by the week, plus these are tipically people who cannot make it into normal jobs) and to feel when its time to move on etc. Also how to share out the trips made (so not to bump into others) and when the times are when most people with ´golden hearts´ sit in trains. Thus not usually morning peaks-too full and too many who do same ride every day. Thats logistics that any TOC would envy!

Nah, I doubt you need to be that smart to do that. Just organised enough to do a bit of trial and error, combined with some educated guesses about when/where suitably busy-but-not-too-busy trains will be. Everything else you say seems very plausible though.

Blinder

There was one on my train between Kings x & Baker Street on Saturday. Her laminated card now says, under the list of "I don't have" are the words or "a F*****g ticket"

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've seen them many times between London and Croydon on various route.

Did the old 61016 text and nothing happens.

Really? I have had responses within 60 seconds after texting. I then send a photo and other info and get a reference number. Obviously I don't expect army helicopters or jets to be scrambled, but they can look out.

2L70

On Moderation
61016 is a great service. Best result off it I’ve seen is illegal immigrants being picked up trying to get to London.

Rhinojerry

Extortion.Pure and simple,time to stop feeling sorry for professional con artists.Shelters etc in place for the true homeless.

trebor79

Established Member
None are as aggressive as the beggars/touts on the Paris metro. I once made the error at Gare du Nord of studying the route map to work out how to get to Versailles.
2 little scrotes come up asking if I want help. No I don't. Where are you going? Versailles (should have said none of you business). You take this train and change here. Yes I know, I can see that. Now give me 5 Euros. Eh what for? For information.
Told him to beat it. Fortunately I'd already bought a ticket, but he actually followed me to the barrier shouting at me to give him money.

ExRes

Established Member
I'm wondering if one of these 'tissue sellers' is the baby that was always being swapped between 'poor down and out' Eastern European women on the tube a few years back

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
If they were doing face masks they’d make a bomb!

I wonder what would happen if you said to a beggar that you had the coronavirus, I wonder what the reaction would be?

On the odd occasion I've had that one my approach has been to say I don't have any change but I'll happily buy them a ticket from a TVM in exchange for the cash they've got.

So far, no takers of my offer :lol:

I once managed to expose one beggar at a station in the north who tapped me for cash so that he could get to Manchester, got him to go to the nearby TVM and I said "bung your cash into the slot". He turned round and said "nah I need the cash". I turned round and said "so your not wanting Manchester, you're simply wanting free cash to fund your drug taking." He wasn't happy when I rumbled him and he walked off.

Every now and again the moron who asks for 8p rocks up outside of Huddersfield railway station, marching back and forth until he is challenged by TransPennine staff. There's a well steamed bloke who is unkept, completely legless and often has arguments with himself who also asks for 8p but usually with a can of special brew in hand. There's two (related?) beggers who often ask as they're 50p short of the fare.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
None are as aggressive as the beggars/touts on the Paris metro. I once made the error at Gare du Nord of studying the route map to work out how to get to Versailles.
2 little scrotes come up asking if I want help. No I don't. Where are you going? Versailles (should have said none of you business). You take this train and change here. Yes I know, I can see that. Now give me 5 Euros. Eh what for? For information.
Told him to beat it. Fortunately I'd already bought a ticket, but he actually followed me to the barrier shouting at me to give him money.

Which is why I always research the route in the hotel or at friends the night before (or even at home a couple of days before) and write some scatty notes!

Dave W

The A406 at the sharp corner where the road off goes to Arnos Grove? Yeah, I've seen him so he's obviously a regular. Also a guy hobbling around, without crutches, near Silver Street station also on the A406, going up to cars with a cup.

Not quite - a couple of junctions further east at Green Lanes, although I’m sure it’s not beyond him to jump (or hobble) on to a bus up to the next junction when he’s told to move on.

I had this before and the answer to them is I don’t carry cash and say do you take cards?
Usually I get learn new foreign words and occasional a good response.

Status
Not open for further replies.