• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tissue begging on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I didn't say public spaces as you quoted me, I said public places. They are definitely public places.

Network Rail though being owned by the taxpayer. That is the point I was getting at.

No they are places where the public are allowed subject to certain Rules and Regulations.

Just because something is owned by Network Rail (or any other government owned company) does not give the public any rights over their behaviour in it, especially where that "place" has By-laws covering it.

Definitely. I'm not condoning it. The issue probably being that them being there in itself, I imagine, wouldn't be illegal if either it was an open station, or, they had a valid ticket or local pass. So they would have to be caught begging by authority to be removed I assume.

I think it might be a good idea if you read the Railway By-Laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cmovcc

there's been the same guy day in day out off-peak at whittlesford towards london doing this for 3 weeks now

the TOC don't seem interested in dealing with it

michael74

While not railway themed, there was a guy in my local Spoons who would walk in, and go around the whole pub telling people how he has just been bin bagged and needs 20p to get the bus home, by the time he finished, he would be at the bar with enough for a pint.. Problem was he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box and would start again asking the same people he asked about half an hour ago, the staff would rumble him and he would go to the next pub, but would invariably come back later that night....

I used to work in Drug and Alcohol services, as has been wisely said up-thread, do not give money to beggars at all, donate to a charity of your choice.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I used to work in Drug and Alcohol services, as has been wisely said up-thread, do not give money to beggars at all, donate to a charity of your choice.

Yes, this. Much better to donate to (ideally smaller, local) homeless charities who work to get people off the streets (or to provide a hot meal rather than drugs and alcohol) than direct. You also know the money will go to people who are actually homeless rather than fakes, who do exist - organised crime is a big part of begging.

I often don't have coinage on me these days anyway, and they aren't getting a tenner.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
BTP were at Waterloo last Friday interviewing some tissue sellers under caution and confiscated (I understand) a large quantity of tissues.

michael74

BTP were at Waterloo last Friday interviewing some tissue sellers under caution and confiscated (I understand) a large quantity of tissues.

This is quite serious, not to be sneezed at.... (would someone be so kind as to pass me my coat).......

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
At least we (and now the authorities) know where to obtain a supply of disposable paper tissues when Coronovirus takes hold.
In a few weeks time, these sellers will be regarded as saviours of the nation. Alternatively, they will get mugged for their supply of tissues and find that their business model has failed.

As an aside, does anyone encounter this trade outside London and the South East?

gnolife

Established Member
This is quite serious, not to be sneezed at.... (would someone be so kind as to pass me my coat).......
No, but I will pass you a pack of tissues. (For a suitable price, of course)
At least we (and now the authorities) know where to obtain a supply of disposable paper tissues when Coronovirus takes hold.
In a few weeks time, these sellers will be regarded as saviours of the nation. Alternatively, they will get mugged for their supply of tissues and find that their business model has failed.

As an aside, does anyone encounter this trade outside London and the South East?
I've had it on the Tyne & Wear metro, heading from Stadium of Light towards Newcastle, and on Metrolink they seemed to be shuttling between Whitefield and Crumpsall

Silver Cobra

My most recent experience of encountering a tissue beggar was on the Jubilee line between West Ham and Canning Town on Saturday February 21st. Up until that point, I hadn't seen any for a good year or two.

Tomp94

Thameslink trains are rammed with beggars

couple of weeks ago I got on at st Pancras on a train heading towards Brighton. Train was busy, I was walking through the train trying to find a seat. I asked a woman who was standing in the carriageway to move so I could get through, only as I walked past her did I realise what she was doing - asking for money.
As I sat down, tried to load my phone camera to take a picture to later describe the woman to BTP, she got off before the train departed.

I’ve also had them on thameslink services out of Brighton, before arrival to the London stations, with the paper messages on empty seats asking for cash in exchange for tissues.

crablab

Yesterday at London Victoria I saw two people dragging large whiteboards through the concourse with something along the lines of spending their last £50 on said whiteboard and would people please donate...

Taunton

Established Member
With the toilet paper shortage they will be able to put their prices up ...

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
There's a toilet paper shortage? Have to admit I didn't notice one last time I was in my local coop. They seemed well stocked to the point of even having a cheap offer on Andrex.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Orpington-Victoria has drug addict beggars on it every day. Usually around Brixton and Herne Hill. It never fails to amaze me how many people give them money. A lot of the people coughing up seem to be locals too so you would have thought they'd know better. I've never seen anyone attempt to stop them.
From Victoria starting in p.m. peak and going right through the evening, I'd say. As you say, some people cough up, so they'll keep on coming back. Some people feel intimidated, hence the giving, not entirely voluntary.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
You do have to wonder, if they are so under-resourced to achieve anything meaningful, why therefore they have launched on such an extensive publicity campaign about their abilities.
It’s a DfT mandated campaign apparently, so the train operators are obliged to run these messages, regardless of how many complaints they get about their frequency.

I did see on twitter recently someone praising the service when they had an issue, only for others to chip in and say “yes, but why don’t they advertise it better.”

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Are any of these individuals non Eastern European?!

Yes, some appear to be. However, most seem to be Bulgarian or Roumanian (certainly not Polish or Baltic states). I am not sure why it matters where they came from, it's the activity that's the perceived problem. Would you view it differently if they were Swedish or Dutch ?

extendedpaul

Had them on a train to Victoria last week. Chap at a table near me put the card and tissues in his pocket and went back to reading his paper.
Seller stopped by his table for a moment or two but said nothing and walked on. I guess there's nothing they can do in that scenario and it must be quite satisfying to scam the scammer.

L401CJF

Established Member
They are extremely common in Europe in places such as Berlin, Barcelona etc. Cant count how many times I have had people get on, beg the whole train length then get off and try the next. I have also seen this every time I have been in London over the past 5 years.

Also in both of these locations It seems common for people to jump on a train, then as soon as it leaves whip out a violin or some other instrument, do a quick performance then whip out a cup and flash it in everybodys faces after some change! Usually get off at the next stop and repeat. Some even get on dressed up in full performance outfits and try some comedy sketches, prepared with speakers and microphones etc! Last time I was in BCN I ended up in the middle of a drag act doing a comedy sketch (in Spanish so couldnt understand a word he said), he had a huge speaker on a trolley, mic, even had buttons on his belt to play canned laughter!

The begging issue definitely doesnt seem as common over here as it does on Berlins U-Bahn and Barcelonas Metro from my experience, but it certainly happens a lot

Paulie558

I'm wondering if one of these 'tissue sellers' is the baby that was always being swapped between 'poor down and out' Eastern European women on the tube a few years back
The crying baby was frequently touted at the junction of Oxford Street/Tottenham Court Road.
Another was the woman who found a gold ring on the floor outside Evans in Oxford Street.
Asked me twice 5 years apart if I wanted to buy it!
She may not have remembered me,but I remembered her!

SlimJim1694

I saw the Scottish bloke who has been plying the Orpy Vics for years with the same tired big issue story get given a tenner by some woman today. All the while people are daft enough to hand over sums of cash like this it's only going to encourage it.

sciisfun

They are extremely common in Europe in places such as Berlin, Barcelona etc. Cant count how many times I have had people get on, beg the whole train length then get off and try the next. I have also seen this every time I have been in London over the past 5 years.

Also in both of these locations It seems common for people to jump on a train, then as soon as it leaves whip out a violin or some other instrument, do a quick performance then whip out a cup and flash it in everybodys faces after some change! Usually get off at the next stop and repeat. Some even get on dressed up in full performance outfits and try some comedy sketches, prepared with speakers and microphones etc! Last time I was in BCN I ended up in the middle of a drag act doing a comedy sketch (in Spanish so couldnt understand a word he said), he had a huge speaker on a trolley, mic, even had buttons on his belt to play canned laughter!

The begging issue definitely doesnt seem as common over here as it does on Berlins U-Bahn and Barcelonas Metro from my experience, but it certainly happens a lot

Had the bands going around the circle line coming up to christmas just gone, one lot got off at i think temple, then two or so stops after the next lot got on, they weren't too happy when I laughed when they were asking for money, and told them that the guys before were much better, and were doing christmas songs as well, before being met by platform staff (guessing someone reported the last lot and they copped the punishment)

Trainfan344

Established Member
The bands on the underground must love the S-Stock being able to get an entire train in one go, hop off and hop on the next train and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.