• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

To The Manor Born Railway episode-Where was it filmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi, I was watching an old episode (1981?) of "To The Manor Born" recently, this was about the proposed closure of the local railway station, which in the programme was called, I think, Marlbury? I was wondering if anyone knows where the train and station shots where filmed.? Some of the programme, the grand house etc, was located in and around Cricket St. Thomas in Somerset and a couple of times the destination of the train mentioned was Taunton. They did show a train, which seemed to be a 3 carriage, all blue DMU, similar to those used in the Western Region of BR around that time, the first class section was at the drivers end of the front carriage. The station seemed quite large with at least 2 platforms and possible a 3rd bay platform too, there was a concrete overbridge as well. I did wonder if it may have have been one of the stations on the LSWR line between Salisbury & Exeter Central? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The station was at Maiden Newton on the Heart of Wessex line between Chetnole and Dorchester West apparently. You can briefly see the real station name near the end of the programme on the platform signage when the DMU on which the Richard De Vere character is travelling (played by the actor Peter Bowles) pulls out of the station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Maiden Newton apparently - the bay platform will have been for the Bridport branch.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Presumably the clumsy pixellation / blurring of one of the railway information/publicity hoardings in the sequences filmed just outside the station entrance was because they showed the face of a certain now-disgraced (and deceased) individual.

Taunton

Established Member
They did show a train, which seemed to be a 3 carriage, all blue DMU, similar to those used in the Western Region of BR around that time, the first class section was at the drivers end of the front carriage.
Bit of a conundrum here, if it was all blue it would be a suburban unit, of which the WR (and the Bristol Division, which covered Maiden Newton) had many, the cross-country units were blue/grey. But the suburban units all had standard class at both ends, it was only those two-tone livery cross-country units which had first class at one end. Both types appeared about 50-50 on the line through Maiden Newton.

The WR did get a few Met-Cam low density units as the old fleets ran down, but I think not until post-1980 when everything was getting blue/grey.

If the first class was interior shots, they could have used a different set.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Presumably the clumsy pixellation / blurring of one of the railway information/publicity hoardings in the sequences filmed just outside the station entrance was because they showed the face of a certain now-disgraced (and deceased) individual.
Thanks for the replies, (I wondered why they did that Blurring of the poster, I just realised what/whom you are referring to.)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The three car DMU featured midway into this particular episode was a Metropolitan-Cammell Class 101, set number B823, in blue livery, with first class accommodation immediately behind the driver's cab. The Audrey fforbes-Hamilton character (played by Penelope Keith) is seen alighting from the train before walking up to the front of the train to thank the driver for a very pleasant ride, having supposedly travelled back to "Marlbury" after a day trip to/from Taunton.

Not sure if it was the same train set as the one shown at the end of the episode.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Some further observations / questions...

If the episode was filmed in c. 1981, presumably the Bridport branch line from Maiden Newton would have been closed (lifted/filled in) by then?

Anyone reckon that the interior scene where Audrey fforbes-Hamilton is seen queuing to purchase ticket(s) was filmed in a studio rather than at the actual station?

Any thoughts as regards the (other?) DMU trainset seen towards the very end of the programme?

Taunton

Established Member
Think it's the same train at the end, a Met-Cam, characterised by its windows. Though the actor boarding at the rear does so with first class accommodation behind, at the rear door. Now the train is departing in the same Up direction, towards Yeovil, we have already seen that there was first class at the Yeovil end, and yet Met-Cam 3-car units could not be formed with first at both ends because that would mean no brake, which were only in second class vehicles. I would expect all the scenes to be filmed together. Surprising.

Being a Bristol unit it's a shame that a destination of Taunton was not wound on the front of the unit. Possibly this element of the script was not passed to the railway beforehand. In fact the unit has no destination blind even fitted, as if it had just been transferred from elsewhere, which somehow fits with the few Met-Cam sets coming to the WR around 1980 still in blue livery.

Maiden Newton long had a wrought iron footbridge, but some time in the early 1960s it was replaced by the typical Southern Region pre-fab concrete footbridge seen here, made from the standardised panels produced at the SR concrete works at Exmouth Junction, quite out of keeping with the station building period and giving a misleading Southern air to a classic old GWR (actually originally the Wilts Somerset & Weymouth, or WS&W Railway) station. The Southern was only responsible for the line for about 10 years, 1953 to 63. The local ragstone-faced station buildings are a characteristic of the line - the similar one at Dorchester West was long boarded up but I see recently has become a pizza restaurant!

Remnants of the Bridport bay are just visible on the right in the very last second of the filming as the train departs.

If obtained locally, presumably the driver seen briefly would be from Westbury depot, which covered the line (and the Bridport branch; the crew for this spent half the shift travelling to and fro on the cushions). Now Westbury depot crew had appeared on the screen before, as they crewed the Titfield Thunderbolt back in the 1950s, when they actually spoke and thus were given credits at the end.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I would expect all the scenes to be filmed together. Surprising.
Perhaps, although the lead actress (Penelope Keith) can be clearly seen wearing completely different clothes in the two scenes, so more than likely that they were NOT filmed together; there were also additional scenes of the volunteer work group filmed when there was no train in platform. Maybe also different DMU trainsets were being used given that the first class compartment was at the leading end of the train in the first scene, but at the rear in the second when actor Peter Bowles boards the train. If it was the same trainset, where would the formation have been reversed?

Taunton

Established Member
Just as you wrote that I had a look again at the train, and was surprised that the guard sent it off from leading end of the intermediate trailer. This must be one of the onetime Met-Cam 4-car units, with the trailer removed. These were indeed formed with a composite motor car at each end, a trailer with brake (never seen on the WR before), and a plain trailer, this last being the one removed.

And a quick search finds the actual formation of WR set B823. Transferred Leeds to Bristol October 1979. Motor Composite 51505, Trailer Brake 59082, Motor Composite 51511. The Trailer Brake was older than the power cars.

Given that Bristol division dmus generally operated with nobody in the first class accommodation at all, apart from the occasional BR manager above a certain level on their passes, having a 3-car unit with TWO first class sections must have been a right inconvenience and wastefulness.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Given that Bristol division dmus generally operated with nobody in the first class accommodation at all, apart from the occasional BR manager above a certain level on their passes, having a 3-car unit with TWO first class sections must have been a right inconvenience and wastefulness.

I suppose they could have downgraded one if it was too much of an issue.

FQTV

I suppose they could have downgraded one if it was too much of an issue.

The 101s that I used in the North East in the mid to late 80s often had at least one First Class section, but declassified and perhaps even unmarked save for the plumper seating.

I was never very interested in ‘bogies’ and so didn’t pay much attention to the consist; the sole preoccupation being getting front seats and hoping that the cab blinds were up!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The 101s that I used in the North East in the mid to late 80s often had at least one First Class section, but declassified any.
I was never very interested in ‘bogies’ and so didn’t pay much attention to the consist; the sole preoccupation being getting front seats and hoping that the cab blinds were up!

Yes, the forward view would have been a good selling point for rail.
Pity BR didn't carry it on in some ways.

Taunton

Established Member
The WR never did declassify their first class, as you can see in the programme; it always just ran back and forth, effectively all year, as an empty stock part of the formation. The same was true of the substantial buffet space in the Cross-Country three-car units, which I never ever saw in operation.

When Taunton to Barnstaple was dieselised mid-1960s, just two years before closure, it always used a couple of two-car sets each day, being spare three-car ones with the centre trailer removed. One would be a Swindon Cross-Country set, with the big first class saloon at one end, and the other a Birmingham RCW suburban set, which being without its trailer had no first class at all. No attempt was made to advertise any distinction between them in the timetable, I presume it was just not felt necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.