• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

To Vienna and back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I have just booked our next jaunt, by rail to Vienna. Eurostar to Paris; Paris to Zurich; Zurich to Vienna; Vienna to Frankfurt; Frankfurt to Brussels; Brussels to London. As it is something of a celebration trip, we are indulging in First Class (OK Standard Premium on Euro). So, my question is what sort of "offer" are we likely to receive, fillet steak or a limp lettuce?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anme

Established Member
Nice trip! On the Eurostar, you will get bigger seats and a quieter environment than in standard. You also get what's best described as a snack - typically a small salad or a cheese plate or similar, and 1-2 free drinks (including alcohol). I find it pleasant enough but no substitute for a full meal, which is fine as there are plenty of dining options in London and Paris (less so around the station in Brussels).

Others will likely post here that standard premier is very bad. Personally I think it's worth 10-20 pounds extra per leg, but probably no more than that.

WestCoast

Established Member
I have just booked our next jaunt, by rail to Vienna. Eurostar to Paris; Paris to Zurich; Zurich to Vienna; Vienna to Frankfurt; Frankfurt to Brussels; Brussels to London. As it is something of a celebration trip, we are indulging in First Class (OK Standard Premium on Euro). So, my question is what sort of "offer" are we likely to receive, fillet steak or a limp lettuce?

TGV Lyria Paris to Zurich - complimentary snacks and/or a "light meal".
OBB RailJet Zurich to Vienna - nothing complimentary but the steward(ess) will serve you at seat from the bistro, and the meals are rather nice in my experience.
IF OBB RailJet Vienna to Frankfurt, then same as above, otherwise if DB ICE then it's much the same.
DB ICE Frankfurt to Brussels - again nothing complimentary, but you can visit the restaurant and I think you will be offered at seat service too.

Some menus for you:

OBB RailJet: www.henryamzug.com/media/161615/henryamzug_2016_fruehling_menuekarte02.pdf
DB ICE: https://db-bordgastronomie.de/speisekarten/Am Platz Service/?chapter=1587

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

Oddly enough, that itinerary is almost identical to one I am planning for about a dozen people later on in the year (altho' we'll be stopping in Salzburg for a family 'do' for a couple of nights). I'm particularly looking forward to the Zurich-Salzburg leg, supposed to be rather spectacular, I hear.

Veteran Member
Oddly enough, that itinerary is almost identical to one I am plahnning for about a dozen people later on in the year (altho' we'll be stopping in Salzburg for a family 'do' for a couple of nights). I'm particularly looking forward to the Zurich-Salzburg leg, supposed to be rather spectacular, I hear.

It is! Even better for maximum mountain scenery would be to take EC Transalpin via Kitzbühel and Zell am See, changing at Schwarzach St Veit for Salzburg.

Groningen

Established Member
It is! Even better for maximum mountain scenery would be to take EC Transalpin via Kitzbühel and Zell am See, changing at Schwarzach St Veit for Salzburg.

If allowed one should not change at Schwarzach and go to Salzburg, but go the otherside to Villach (or go direct to Leoben; also with mountains) and go over the Semmering.

Zurich 8.40 - Schwarzach-St.Veit 14.48
Schwarzach-St.Veit 15.11 - Klagenfurt 17.18
Klagenfurt 17.39 - Wien Hbf 21.35

Zurich 8.40 - Leoben 17.29
Leoben 17.34 - Wien Hbf 19.35

Due to still limited daylight at this moment i would selected the last train if you go over Saalfelden. Schwarzach-St.Veit to Wien via Salzburg and Linz is fast, but boring.

Veteran Member
If allowed one should not change at Schwarzach and go to Salzburg, but go the otherside to Villach (or go direct to Leoben; also with mountains) and go over the Semmering.

Due to still limited daylight at this moment i would selected the last train if you go over Saalfelden. Schwarzach-St.Veit to Wien via Salzburg and Linz is fast, but boring.

Good idea, but not if you want to stopover in Salzburg.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

That looks good, but we have to spend a couple of days in Salzburg....another time, perhaps!

Also....can anyone recommend a good European Rail Atlas? Not too bulky, but with enough information to see where we are going!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.