• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC Connections - Glasgow to Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianTheLion

I've got a ticket booked via East Coast to travel between Glasgow and Newcastle, involving a change at Edinburgh Waverley [[stn]EDB[/stn]]. The train leaves EDI at 09.30, my original booking states boarding the Scotrail connection at GLQ at 8.30, arriving at [stn]EDB[/stn] at 09.19, thus leaving me 11 mins to catch my connection.

As the [stn]GLQ[/stn] - [stn]EDB[/stn] service is every 15 mins is there anything stopping me from getting an earlier train, e.g the 08.15 to allow me extra connection time?

Also, as the ticket states EC & Connections, does this mean I could get the XC service at 07.50 from [stn]GLC[/stn]?

Or could I even take my pick of which route to travel on with Scotrail as you can travel between Glasgow and Edinburgh via either Falkirk High, Airdrie/Bathgate or Shotts?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
You can use any reasonable connecting service if you have not been given a reservation coupon for this leg. 15 minutes earlier is without almost all doubt reasonable. The XC service is reservable so you should not use this one.

I don't know the layout of the lines between Glasgow and Edinburgh but I would imagine any of the regular routes on an unreservable train would be deemed a reasonable connection.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Scotrail won't ask for your east coast reservation, but yes this is OK in fact they would encourage it considering the congestion and typical delay at that time of morning. They would much rather have you on the 0815 rather than miss the connection and pay out compensation.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One thing is that the code for Edinburgh is EDB not EDI and we prefer it if you're going to use them that the correct three letter code is used (it helps avoid confusion) :)

Otherwise I think calc7 has hit the nail on the head you're fine using any unreservable service between the two so stay away from the XC service. Personally I would recommend the Queen Street to Edinburgh service would be your best bet.

BrianTheLion

One thing is that the code for Edinburgh is EDB not EDI and we prefer it if you're going to use them that the correct three letter code is used (it helps avoid confusion) :)

Sorry, I think I was in airline mode when I was writing it!!

Thanks for the replies everyone, Looks like it'll be the 8.15 for me then!!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Or could I even take my pick of which route to travel on with Scotrail as you can travel between Glasgow and Edinburgh via either Falkirk High, Airdrie/Bathgate or Shotts?

I've done Glasgow-Edinburgh via A2B when my suggested service was via Falkirk High, no problem at all.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I see you have Port Glasgow as your location therefore I'm assuming that you will be arriving at Glasgow Central (GLC). ScotRail have a fast service from GLC direct to EDB via Benhar at 08:03 arriving at EDB at 09:10. No 1st class or catering on board these services though.

If you choose to travel via GLQ then I prefer the 00 & 30 departures as they only stop at Croy & Falkirk en route (some peak hour exceptions though) so you don't have to mix with the Polmont Mafia and Lithgae Peasants. Running time is the same so must just be a psychological perception.

Just to confirm above replies you will have no bother using an earlier connecting train - in fact it makes sense to do so.

Cheers & happy travelling. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.