• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC Privilege Travel Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqUaShIe P

Has anyone else got one of these?
it gets you 75% off full fare tickets with other TOCs
I know its for leisure use only, but what I want to know is: say me and some friends want to go to the seaside for the day by train, does the TOC privilege travel pass allow us all to get a 75% discount on our tickets, or is it only me that gets a discount?

Not that Im that bothered about it... usually use groupsave anyway.

(sorry for the poor structure of this question, I couldnt think of how to ask it)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
Has anyone else got one of these?
it gets you 75% off full fare tickets with other TOCs
I know its for leisure use only, but what I want to know is: say me and some friends want to go to the seaside for the day by train, does the TOC privilege travel pass allow us all to get a 75% discount on our tickets, or is it only me that gets a discount?

Not that Im that bothered about it... usually use groupsave anyway.

If you have a Privilege Travel Card contact your Retail Manager to discuss exactly what you are entitled to. It really depends who you work for an for how long, which determines what Privilege's you are entitled to.

Its just you

This isn't wholly true as widowed and retired Staff Travel Card holders can take four accompanied children at the Priv £2.00 flat fare.

Tom C

This isn't wholly true as widowed and retired Staff Travel Card holders can take four accompanied children at the Priv £2.00 flat fare.

Thats very true however as his avatar said that he is a trainee conductor I didn't think it was worth mentioning retired/widowed.

glynn80

Established Member
Thats very true however as his avatar said that he is a trainee conductor I didn't think it was worth mentioning retired/widowed.

Didn't read his avatar tbh, wasn't even sure if he worked on the railway or not from the wording of the question. I however thought it relevant enough information for anyone else reading the topic who had the same question in their minds (which can often be the case).

Death

Established Member
On the subject of Priv's... 8)
Many thousands of years ago (Up until late 1999CE, if I remember rightly) I used to hold a dependants BR Priv concession as my father was (And still is) a long serving LuL employee, but I eventually lost the concession due to my taking up full-time employment after leaving college. :?

However - After several unsuccessful attempts at employment later (Including one at LuL) - I wound up in the DoSS "benefits trap", became diagnosed with a rather job preventing disability, and since 2001CE I've been formally signed off as incapable of employment. :(

My question here - Although I appreciate that a lot of water has passed 'neath the bridge since then - Is that given my circumstances above and the high probability that I won't be able to return to employment within this lifetime, is there any way that I could regain the Priv concession that I once held? :?:

Although I currently hold a Railcard and have on rare occasions managed to purchase fares that work out similar to (Or even lower than) Priv rate, I would find that having a Priv concession would make my rail travel a lot more affordable - Especially where ALRs are concerned! 8)

Also - Out of pure curiosity, given that Railcard discounts are available on all tickets whereas Priv can only be used for Standard and First type fares - Would a Priv holder also be allowed to hold a public Railcard at the same time? :)

Cheers in advance for any info! <D

scrapy

Established Member
On the subject of Priv's... 8)

Also - Out of pure curiosity, given that Railcard discounts are available on all tickets whereas Priv can only be used for Standard and First type fares - Would a Priv holder also be allowed to hold a public Railcard at the same time? :)

Cheers in advance for any info! <D

Certainally have never heard of anything to stop you holding both a Priv card and a railcard. I know of someone who holds both a priv and a family railcard as it works out cheaper on occasions to use with friends and friends kids. You obviously can't get the railcard discount on top of a priv discount, you have to use one or the other.

glynn80

Established Member
My question here - Although I appreciate that a lot of water has passed 'neath the bridge since then - Is that given my circumstances above and the high probability that I won't be able to return to employment within this lifetime, is there any way that I could regain the Priv concession that I once held? :?:

Although I currently hold a Railcard and have on rare occasions managed to purchase fares that work out similar to (Or even lower than) Priv rate, I would find that having a Priv concession would make my rail travel a lot more affordable - Especially where ALRs are concerned! 8)

All Privilege issuing companies are extremely strict and once you have lost the Privilege's you cannot regain them. Even staff moving to Network Rail from other TOCs have to negotiate to keep their benefits and IIRC have to pay £800 tax on those benefits when brought over.

If you hadn't gone into employment, to of kept the Privilege's, you would have had to remain unmarried, still be under the age of 25 and also earning under a set scale.

"Permanent invalids" are irrespective of age, able to keep their Privilege's but they are persons who have never been able to follow any employment for their lifetime and are thus eligible for state benefits on that basis.

You are not a "permanent invalid", as ATOC class them, as you were previously fit and healthy and able to take up employment but are now unable to work after contracting your condition, you have thus unfortunately lost your facilities and will not be able to regain them.

ChrisMcFall

Random question for PRIV holders here...
Who actually buys tickets..and who just shows the pass to the guard once they're onboard?

First class

Established Member
Well I think we've all tried it...

I usually ask the conductor before boarding if I can buy a ticket on the train- and they usually just say jump on.

TOCs that have been ok:

1. CrossCountry, Sheffield-Leeds
2. TPE, Hull-Manchester, Liverpool-Manchester, Manchester-Sheffield
3. EMT, haha Norwich-Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester-Liverpool, Manchester-Sheffield
4. Virgin, Liverpool-Crewe
5. ATW, Chester-Cardiff, Cardiff-Manchester, Chester-Holyhead
6. London Midland, Liverpool-Birmingham, Crewe-Stoke
7. ScotRail, Invergordon-Inverness, also had an ALR 1st and they gave me a spare berth for free :)

Get free travel on Northern/Merseyrail so :)

Many of the train conductors/guards/train managers that operate out of Liverpool Lime Street tend to use our Merseyrail network, just flashing their TOC card. It tends to work out that on an unofficial level, staff are generally ok. Be weary of Virgin trains staff though- heard stories that Train Managers have reported staff to their TOCs who board without a ticket. Just ask before you get on and everything should be ok. Also bear in mind TPE can't issue PRIV tickets on-board, as apparantly they're 'not authorised to'. Would probably mean another free journey if you board at an unstaffed station.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd never recommend just getting on board, speaking to a TM and a Senior Conductor only this evening about the same thing they both said it was quite rude and they would be more likely to charge them.

I think you should *always* ask. On some local routes it's just not worth it for a low fare and risking having your pass confiscated and the like.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I have never been asked to buy a ticket on local journeys on Southern between Pompey and Havant and I did once blag a ride from Fareham to Southampton on FGW but other than that I always gay the fare even though it is increasingly awkward to do so given the reducing numbers of ticket office staff on various companies.

Matt

dan_atki

Established Member
However - After several unsuccessful attempts at employment later (Including one at LuL) - I wound up in the DoSS "benefits trap", became diagnosed with a rather job preventing disability, and since 2001CE I've been formally signed off as incapable of employment. :(

You are not a "permanent invalid", as ATOC class them, as you were previously fit and healthy and able to take up employment but are now unable to work after contracting your condition, you have thus unfortunately lost your facilities and will not be able to regain them.

Dragging this thread from back beyond the grave (:oops:), having read the latest dependent declaration form from ATOC RST it reminded me of this question.

The annual declaration is not on ATOCs website, however the facility terms and conditions are (which, strictly speaking, are for administrators only but this one isn't password protected like the others)...

http://www.atoc.org/rst/_download/rules_guides/TOC PRIV TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT 2009-2010.pdf

In condition 4. (c)(i) of this document it states:

Staff will be permanently disqualified from receiving privilege travel facilities for their children as soon as the latter take up employment which renders them ineligible, except: -
(i) Where employment is permanently relinquished on account of the child's ill-health provided he or she is eligible for State Benefit.

So, based on that, I'd say Death is entitled to get the facility back...

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Well I think we've all tried it...

I usually ask the conductor before boarding if I can buy a ticket on the train- and they usually just say jump on.

TOCs that have been ok:

1. CrossCountry, Sheffield-Leeds
2. TPE, Hull-Manchester, Liverpool-Manchester, Manchester-Sheffield
3. EMT, haha Norwich-Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester-Liverpool, Manchester-Sheffield
4. Virgin, Liverpool-Crewe
5. ATW, Chester-Cardiff, Cardiff-Manchester, Chester-Holyhead
6. London Midland, Liverpool-Birmingham, Crewe-Stoke
7. ScotRail, Invergordon-Inverness, also had an ALR 1st and they gave me a spare berth for free :)

Get free travel on Northern/Merseyrail so :)

Many of the train conductors/guards/train managers that operate out of Liverpool Lime Street tend to use our Merseyrail network, just flashing their TOC card. It tends to work out that on an unofficial level, staff are generally ok. Be weary of Virgin trains staff though- heard stories that Train Managers have reported staff to their TOCs who board without a ticket. Just ask before you get on and everything should be ok. Also bear in mind TPE can't issue PRIV tickets on-board, as apparantly they're 'not authorised to'. Would probably mean another free journey if you board at an unstaffed station.

I regularly travel around the country, and I always ask before boarding. It is polite, and normally always ends up in a free trip, often in First Class should space be available. I have found most TOCs perfectly ameniable to this. Often I will be using a RailRover or similar, so there is no need to ask in that case however.

I would also expect other staff to do the same when they get on my trains - which 99% do. It is that 1% that don't which annoy me, and will normally end up being charged. The 99% that ask will always get a free ride. Railway Staff are Railway Staff in my mind (providing they can show me a travel pass, and not just say " I work for xxx TOC" or turn up with a jacket / pullover / bag carrying someones logo. The Arriva Bus Driver who kept trying it on by saying "I work for Arriva Trains Wales" soon got rumbled!) On a similar matter, retired / widowed / dependents / spouses etc using free boxes, who try and fiddle it by either "forgetting" to fill in the box prior to inspection, or using pencil so they can rub it out later, will ALWAYS end up with me fully adhering to the rules outlined by Rail Staff Travel, thus:

"A retired employee, partner or dependant using a Staff Travel Card for free
rail travel purposes must complete a box on the card with the appropriate
date. If the person concerned travels with an undated box the ticket
examiner/inspector will cross out the next available box as a penalty and
request the Staff Travel Card holder to complete the next box. If the card
is wrongly dated the same procedure will be followed. Alteration of dates
already inserted is not permitted."

As regards TPE Guards not being able to sell PRIV tickets, to be honest, that is complete rubbish. We can sell any ticket we like, although we are instructed to fully comply with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, which means if you joined at Liverpool Lime Street you would not be able to buy Priv tickets, Cheap day Returns or use a Railcard - as that station has a ticket office. Should you join at an unstaffed station (such as Howden, Seamer or lots of stations in the North West) or the ticket office if closed, then we will sell you a ticket with a discount without problem. It is not the case that we are 'not authorised', it is merely that we are instructed to comply with NRCoC. And yes, management do monitor it!

janb

As regards TPE Guards not being able to sell PRIV tickets, to be honest, that is complete rubbish. We can sell any ticket we like, although we are instructed to fully comply with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, which means if you joined at Liverpool Lime Street you would not be able to buy Priv tickets, Cheap day Returns or use a Railcard - as that station has a ticket office. Should you join at an unstaffed station (such as Howden, Seamer or lots of stations in the North West) or the ticket office if closed, then we will sell you a ticket with a discount without problem. It is not the case that we are 'not authorised', it is merely that we are instructed to comply with NRCoC. And yes, management do monitor it!

I hope thats the case. I have seen TPE guards selling discounted tickets to passengers boarding at major mainline stations on several occasions.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Does this thread not sum up that some of the biggest 'effers' on the railway are in fact railway staff?

First class

Established Member
My (several) incidents with TPE saying they weren't permitted to sell a PRIV ticket was when I was travelling from Manchester Piccadilly early in the morning and the Booking Office wasn't open. You can't get a PRIV TVM ticket, so what else are you supposed to do? The station IS unstaffed.

Equally, however, during a recent journey between Winchelsea & Ashford, the Southern conductor told me that he was unable to issue a PRIV rate ticket.

I think maybe some staff are confused/weary of how to deal with a member of staff trying to purchase a DISCOUNTED ticket onboard, when every other person can get a ticket from a TVM that is operational.

Saying that though, on all of these occasions, I've been let on effectively for "free". I only recently realised my Merseyrail staff pass opens ANY ticket barrier designed by Cubic!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Personally I would consider it rude if I didn't ask before jumping on, furthest I've gone for free on another TOC's services (other than XC) is probably Bridgend or Bristol, but usually I will buy a ticket to Bristol when I go, it's only £2.50ish anyway... hardly breaking the bank!

Status
Not open for further replies.