• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC's liability to get you to your destination on PRIV tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapy

Established Member
Recently I was delayed on a train for over two hours when travelling with 4 friends. As we had originally planned to arrive at around 21.30 we were in plenty of time to catch the last connecting train at 23.00. The delay was caused by an infrastucture problem so admittedly wasn't the fault of the TOC concerned. I was travelling on a PRIV (25%) ticket and my friends were travelling on full fare off peak tickets. The train manager made an anouncement for anyone who had problems with onward conections to contact him. I did on behalf of the group and was told a taxi would be ordered for my friends, however 'due to the rules concerning staff travel' I would be liable for my own journey onwards but could get in the taxi if there was space. In the end there was no problem me getting in the taxi as it was a minibus.

As far as I was concerned staff travel was still subject to the NRCOC and relevant passengers charter, I simply had a discount, so what are these 'rules'?

It is not as though I had a particularly cheap ticket as I was traveling on as 25% of an Anytime open return is more expensive than an ordinary passenger travelling on a railcard discounted off peak return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
Recently I was delayed on a train for over two hours when travelling with 4 friends. As we had originally planned to arrive at around 21.30 we were in plenty of time to catch the last connecting train at 23.00. The delay was caused by an infrastucture problem so admittedly wasn't the fault of the TOC concerned. I was travelling on a PRIV (25%) ticket and my friends were travelling on full fare off peak tickets. The train manager made an anouncement for anyone who had problems with onward conections to contact him. I did on behalf of the group and was told a taxi would be ordered for my friends, however 'due to the rules concerning staff travel' I would be liable for my own journey onwards but could get in the taxi if there was space. In the end there was no problem me getting in the taxi as it was a minibus.

As far as I was concerned staff travel was still subject to the NRCOC and relevant passengers charter, I simply had a discount, so what are these 'rules'?

It is not as though I had a particularly cheap ticket as I was traveling on as 25% of an Anytime open return is more expensive than an ordinary passenger travelling on a railcard discounted off peak return.

That's an interesting query, though one that I am not at liberty to answer with any accuracy unfortunately. What I do know is that I personally have been offered alternative transport due to circumstances such as above whilst travelling on either a privilege ticket or a box. There may well be some sort of 'staff' clause, though the best people to ask would probably be rail staff travel or the small print on your travel facilities guidelines if you still have them. What I would also say is that I would fully expect fare paying passengers to be sorted before myself.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've never had trouble getting replacement transport provided with a Priv. On two separate occasions over 2 yrs ago FGW provided me and my family with a taxi with a Priv Redland - Bristol Temple Meads return after the train was cancelled, and also once a taxi Bristol Temple Meads - Bristol Parkway after there was a signal failure at Slough and we were 2 hours late and would have had to wait 40 Min for a replacement bus. Also a very long time ago when I was still a Child, Chiltern got me a taxi from Princes Risborough - Aylesbury when I was on a High Wycombe - Aylesbury single and the shuttle at Princes Risborough failed to wait for the train on the main line which was late.

barrykas

Established Member
Also a very long time ago when I was still a Child, Chiltern got me a taxi from Princes Risborough - Aylesbury when I was on a High Wycombe - Aylesbury single and the shuttle at Princes Risborough failed to wait for the train on the main line which was late.

If memory serves, the shuttle can be held for either 5 or 10 minutes (can't remember which off the top of my head), if the connecting train from Marylebone is late, without it messing up the pathing on the branch. Any more than that then, as you discovered, it's a taxi job.

Cheers,

Barry

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd imagine free travel (boxes) wouldn't (and, I'd argue shouldn't) be at the railways expense.

However as you had a PRIV discounted ticket, then surely that is covered?! The only way it couldn't be is if it's a term of the PRIV product, which is theoretically possible... anyone got the rules to hand?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If memory serves, the shuttle can be held for either 5 or 10 minutes (can't remember which off the top of my head), if the connecting train from Marylebone is late, without it messing up the pathing on the branch. Any more than that then, as you discovered, it's a taxi job.
I think at the time it was something like 15 Min - I had to show the ticket office where this was stated in the timetable as they wanted me to wait an hour and a half for the next train! The train actually left on time, exactly as the connection was pulling in to the other platform!

fgwoll1e

Not seen it written anywhere myself. At the end of the day you have still bought a ticket, the fact it's discounted is not the point. TOC's have to get you from A to B, and I've personally not seen that refused to people with staff travel. Even on free boxes/passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.