• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC's serving Rugeley Trent Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I have just been looking at some old Virgin timetables and, after looking at London Midlands predecessors (Central Trains and Silverlink), I was wondering which TOC used to serve Rugeley Trent Valley station. I can't see it mentioned on any timetables for these TOC's, but trains must have called there!

The station is currently served by the hourly Crewe to Euston service which I believe has only been introduced recently. Which service called there before Virign's VHF timetable?

Thanks

Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I have just been looking at some old Virgin timetables and, after looking at London Midlands predecessors (Central Trains and Silverlink), I was wondering which TOC used to serve Rugeley Trent Valley station. I can't see it mentioned on any timetables for these TOC's, but trains must have called there!

The station is currently served by the hourly Crewe to Euston service which I believe has only been introduced recently. Which service called there before Virign's VHF timetable?

Thanks

Ryan

It used to get the hourly Stafford - Birmingham via Cannock service. Since the introduction of VHF/LM Trent Valley service, that service now terminates at Rugeley Trent Valley, no longer continuing to Stafford.

dave_wm

There was also a very irregular (about 4-5tpd IIRC) local service along the Trent Valley, operated by Central Trains.

At privatization this was run using 153s, often as an extension of Coventry - Nuneaton trains (running Coventry - Stafford or Coventry - Stoke-on-Trent), then was replaced by buses for a few years during the West Coast upgrade, then came back operated with 350s as various incarnations of London/Northampton - Stafford/Crewe/Liverpool.

Established Member
There was also a very irregular (about 4-5tpd IIRC) local service along the Trent Valley, operated by Central Trains.

At privatization this was run using 153s, often as an extension of Coventry - Nuneaton trains (running Coventry - Stafford or Coventry - Stoke-on-Trent), then was replaced by buses for a few years during the West Coast upgrade, then came back operated with 350s as various incarnations of London/Northampton - Stafford/Crewe/Liverpool.

It was a lot more frequent than that in the early 1990s, every 90 minutes or so throughout the day. That lasted into 323 days so at least 1995.

Most of the trains were Rugby - Crewe but some started at Coventry (few DMU turns) or ran through to Stoke and Manchester.

50010 Monarch

Way back in the day (October 1990 - May 1991 timetable) Rugeley TV was served by a Coventry to Stafford (via Nuneaton) local service.

There were five or six return trips Monday to Saturday & nothing on Sundays. One southbound service terminated at Rugby instead of Coventry.

The Chase line at the time only ran as far as Hednesford so the Cov - Stafford services were the only ones that served Rugeley TV.

In common with most stations (excluding Polesworth...) the current Rugeley TV service is very good compared to what it was back in BR days.

Welshman

Established Member
Way back in the day (October 1990 - May 1991 timetable) Rugeley TV was served by a Coventry to Stafford (via Nuneaton) local service.

There were five or six return trips Monday to Saturday & nothing on Sundays. One southbound service terminated at Rugby instead of Coventry.

The Chase line at the time only ran as far as Hednesford so the Cov - Stafford services were the only ones that served Rugeley TV.

In common with most stations (excluding Polesworth...) the current Rugeley TV service is very good compared to what it was back in BR days.

Even further back in the day, in the 1970s, there used to be an irregular stopping service from Rugby/Nuneaton to Stafford, worked by 304 & 310 units.

Status
Not open for further replies.