• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC's that hand out their own Card Holders (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I was given a blue National Rail one at the ticket office at Inverness last month. I'm feeling left out!

Scotrail seem to give you a blue NR unless you ask for Scotrail or its out of stock.

route101

Established Member
Asked if ScotRail do ticket wallets at Glasgow Queen Street a few years back on my first trip North of the border.

"Aye pal, how many are ye wantin'?" Was the reply and I was given plenty! Other TOCs have said they'd give me one when I renewed my railcard/season ticket, so it seems to depend who you speak to!

Depends who you ask i suppose . If i want one i either show them my railcard or have a ticket

rich r

My TPE ones only seem to last about 3 months before tearing on the hinged bits. I might pop into Leeds station to see if I can get a Northern or plain one :)

furgus2

I was given a 4 section London Northwestern one in the Travel Centre at Lime St recently. I’m not using it though

Deafdoggie

Established Member
My personal favourite is the Disabled Railcard one, but alas they do not seem to do these anymore. I find it good, as it gives an immediate clue that I may not know what is going on (often the case!) and why I wasn't ready with my tickets, even though the guard has been shouting "TICKETS PLEASE" for half an hour. I know the railcard does that in its own right, but the disabled Railcard holder does that before you have unfolded it.

kev1974

Get them while you still can. my Two Together railcard is just in an app on my phone (only ever been asked to call it up and show it once), the days of paper railcards and passes are numbered, as more people switch to the app-based railcards then the less call the rail operators will have to produce plastic wallets. Not to mention the pressure to eliminate plastic these days as well.

PeterC

Established Member
There have been a variety of promotional wallets around over the years. I have had a Thameslink one for over 10 yeas which holds my Oyster Card and a Mastercard "London in your Pocket" wallet for my bus pass. The surface of the older card is so worn that I can distinguish them in my pocket by touch.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I have a First Scotrail [sic] wallet, but it is the one that is designed for season tickets.

As well as the standard National Rail tri-fold wallets, I also have a few red Virgin (West Coast) and a white Virgin WC wallets as well.

Also, for my Oyster card, I have the yellow Ikea wallet listing the stores in Greater London. Perhaps Transport for London could do an updated run of those so as to promote the recently opened Meridian Water station for the Angel Road store?

PeterY

Established Member
I assume that the wallets must be collectable . Has anyone got a full set?

route101

Established Member
Wonder if LNER ones are handed out at Edinburgh?

Got a Scotrail one today at Glasgow Central for my plusbus and tickets

Mogster

My TPE ones only seem to last about 3 months before tearing on the hinged bits. I might pop into Leeds station to see if I can get a Northern or plain one :)

I wouldn’t bother with a Northern one. The new white Northern branded ones are rubbish and are dead in a couple of months... The old blue ones used to last for years.

rich r

Get them while you still can. my Two Together railcard is just in an app on my phone (only ever been asked to call it up and show it once), the days of paper railcards and passes are numbered, as more people switch to the app-based railcards then the less call the rail operators will have to produce plastic wallets. Not to mention the pressure to eliminate plastic these days as well.

To be fair, my three section TPE one has my photocard (not actually needed any more but handy to keep there just in case I need it), my TPE Smartcard and the bottom section contains the paper receipt for the ticket on the smartcard - because Northern staff don't appear to be able (or willing) to scan them. Invariably just waving a photocard and smartcard at them is good enough - the card may well have no valid ticket on it but if they don't seem bothered.

James2810

To be fair, my three section TPE one has my photocard (not actually needed any more but handy to keep there just in case I need it), my TPE Smartcard and the bottom section contains the paper receipt for the ticket on the smartcard - because Northern staff don't appear to be able (or willing) to scan them. Invariably just waving a photocard and smartcard at them is good enough - the card may well have no valid ticket on it but if they don't seem bothered.
Most tocs dont really check in all areas like that. E.g. at gwr ticket barriers if your smartcard denies access because its expired just show them and they'll give you BOD

rich r

Most tocs dont really check in all areas like that. E.g. at gwr ticket barriers if your smartcard denies access because its expired just show them and they'll give you BOD

That's fair enough if there were ticket barriers - but only one (out of eight) stations on this route does. Makes you wonder why they bother checking at all. To be fair, TPE don't check on the busy services, but only because there's too many people standing to get through ;)

James2810

That's fair enough if there were ticket barriers - but only one (out of eight) stations on this route does. Makes you wonder why they bother checking at all. To be fair, TPE don't check on the busy services, but only because there's too many people standing to get through ;)
I don't know anything about that route, never even seen a TPE in real life

Bantamzen

Established Member

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
GWR hand out normal National Rail blue ones

Ah ok, I mostly use them for debit cards and stuff, very rarely tickets haha. Could you send photos of the ones you mentioned? I didn't know that those tocs did them

Here are photos of two of the GWR ones.

The Green one was given out as a promotional thing. The "Still Got A Paper Ticket?" ones from the ticket office.

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 76

James2810

Every time I've been out recently, I've used a different wallet and found that SouthEastern are the most durable. Greater anglia has colouring falling off and TFL is too tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.