• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOCs view of relocating

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
As I have been applying for quite a few railway jobs in the last few months I have been looking a bit further afield at vacancies in other parts of the country.

I've noted that some vacancies explicitly state that you cannot live more than a sixty minute drive from the location of the prospective role. Again this is only mentioned on a very small number of operational roles such as a conductor or a driver.

As I'm not married with no children or commitments I would be willing to relocate if the right TOC vacancy came along but I wondered if generally HR people would just exclude you from the application process once they see your address on the cover letter or other personal forms.

Has anyone on this forum aware of any bench rules the TOCs use about considering prospective applicants from other parts of the country?

Any experience of this would be greatly appreciated.

C J

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
As I have been applying for quite a few railway jobs in the last few months I have been looking a bit further afield at vacancies in other parts of the country.

I've noted that some vacancies explicitly state that you cannot live more than a sixty minute drive from the location of the prospective role. Again this is only mentioned on a very small number of operational roles such as a conductor or a driver.

As I'm not married with no children or commitments I would be willing to relocate if the right TOC vacancy came along but I wondered if generally HR people would just exclude you from the application process once they see your address on the cover letter or other personal forms.

Has anyone on this forum aware of any bench rules the TOCs use about considering prospective applicants from other parts of the country?

Any experience of this would be greatly appreciated.

C J
Someone I work with relocated from Newcastle upon Tyne to London .

Aivilo

Many relocate, some TOC/FOCs are fine with it. Bare in mind that some companies have a minimum period you must remain in the business should you relocate.

Also moving back to a depot after any said relocation isn't always simple

Red1980

Unless it's obvious they want local people on the advert go for it. The key is convincing them that your relocation will be smooth and that you're there to stay.

Bigfoot

Some will expect proof of address in the area required before you start with them.

craigybagel

Established Member
As with most things on the railway, it depends. Some TOCs are very strict with it, and your application won't be considered if the address you put down is too far away. Others will allow you to move for the job.

Best thing you can do is apply anyway and let the company decide! But if you do get far enough to explain yourself, make sure you do make it clear that A you are ok with moving and B you're not planning on moving back at the first opportunity.

Trico382

I lived in a different city when applying to my TOC for a driving job (I came from outside the rail industry). The TOC did say you had to live within an hour on the app but I wrote a covering letter saying I would move back and it wouldn’t be a problem etc etc. I got the job so I would say it would at least be worth applying....I’m glad I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.