• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Today's "Missing link" Rail Tour - was it worthwhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

I heard about this tour too late, so contented myself videoing the train both ways crossing the flyover at Bletchley. Inspection of some of my still snaps suggests that seeing out from the train this morning could have been poor due to misted up windows...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I hope it was a good trip, I should have liked to have gone on it but it clashed with something else. I wonder if it was successful, if they will repeat it at some stage.

PeterY

Established Member
IMG_0368.JPG Yes for me it was worth the trip. I completed a few missing links, in my line bashing, albeit not a lot of mileage. I'd never rode over the Dudding Hill line, Poplar Curve, Greenford LTE Bay Jct to Greenford West Jct, Quainton Road to Claydon and Acton Canal Wharf Jct down to the West Coast Mainline.
The carriages were lovely and warm but the windows kept steaming up.
Worthwhile, then yes.

Last edited:

I saw it through Tring in the morning (had planned to go to Bletchley but didn’t have time) and again at Marsh crossing in the afternoon... made an unusual sight on the single track to Aylesbury!

Established Member
Easy answer to steamed up windows on tours, invest in one of these (£3.50 from Wilkos)

0225140_l.jpg

DelW

Established Member
At least on mk1s you can wipe the condensation away, unlike misted up double glazing. We used a fair few paper towels which worked fine.
My new mileage was Aylesbury - Claydon - Oxford, and a short link from the Dudding Hill line to Wembley yard. Plus doing the flyover in daylight, unlike the one previous time I'd been over it.
Everything ran more or less to time, and we had nearly an hour and a half at Quainton Road, which I'd not visited before. So all in all I thought it worthwhile.

gazthomas

Established Member
841A973F-36BD-4C5C-B322-3B317EB372D6.jpeg At Quainton Road

D3DBF2D3-3884-4042-8000-319272FA61DF.jpeg
And earlier in the day at Husborne Crawley on the Marston Vale line.

It was snowy and very cold!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I learnt a good trick when it comes to dealing with condensation on Mk1 windows, basically you get a couple paper towels and put a small amount of soap on it (wet the towels if it is hard soap). Wipe the window with said soap so that there is a thin layer of soap, which prevents condensation from forming so easily. :)

gazthomas

Established Member
I learnt a good trick when it comes to dealing with condensation on Mk1 windows, basically you get a couple paper towels and put a small amount of soap on it (wet the towels if it is hard soap). Wipe the window with said soap so that there is a thin layer of soap, which prevents condensation from forming so easily. :)
Good advice!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

(I have tried that too a couple of months ago.)

The whole trip sounds excellent and covering a lot of unusual bits of track. Glad it all went so well.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I am just trying to work out in my head, by what routing did that train run? I presume it was along the normal West Coast Line from Euston to Milton Keynes, then reverse back to Blecthley and onto the flyover, did it then go back into Bletchley & onto Bedford, or did it go direct from the Flyover to Bedford.? I presume it was then southbound on the MML to the Mill Hill area for the Dudding Hill Line, but from there towards Aylesbury I am a bit lost. Did it then go forward from Alyesbury to Quainton Rd and Claydon/Calvert? for another reversal to join the Line through to Islip and Oxford and then on the GWR to Acton & up and round to Euston?

PeterY

Established Member
The tour from Dudding Hill went down the Poplar Curve, West Ealing, Northolt, South Ruislip, Alyesbury Quainton Road (rest) and Claydon Jct. Back via Oxford, Acton Wells, Wembley South Jct, Harlesden Jct back to Euston. It also went direct from the Blatchly flyover to Fenny stratford.
I am just trying to work out in my head, by what routing did that train run? I presume it was along the normal West Coast Line from Euston to Milton Keynes, then reverse back to Blecthley and onto the flyover, did it then go back into Bletchley & onto Bedford, or did it go direct from the Flyover to Bedford.? I presume it was then southbound on the MML to the Mill Hill area for the Dudding Hill Line, but from there towards Aylesbury I am a bit lost. Did it then go forward from Alyesbury to Quainton Rd and Claydon/Calvert? for another reversal to join the Line through to Islip and Oxford and then on the GWR to Acton & up and round to Euston?

Kite159

Veteran Member

RTT links if they help:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53330/2018/03/17/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53331/2018/03/17/advanced

Reversed at Sharnbrook junction on the MML due to being too long to reverse at Bedford.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Euston>MKC>Swanbourne>Fenny Stratford>BEdford>Sharnbrook>Bedford> south

Status
Not open for further replies.