• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Toilet facilities currently on trains and in stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I think it's bad enough when station toilets are closed before the end of service as it certainly is not customer friendly. What about if a train is delayed or the train's onboard toilet is locked out of use, or if it doesn't have one in the first place!

But from what others have said it's even worse during the current pandemic. Key workers have always been able to travel, so what were/are they supposed to do if they need to use the toilet while waiting for their train? Not everyone lives next door to a station, and of course pubs/cafes/departments stores were all shut for three months so the usual potential alternatives were unavailable. As restrictions are lifted and more people travel, this is clearly going to become even more of an issue.

I understand them closing waiting rooms and removing catering to keep staff and passengers safe, but toilets should be open. Aside from the issue of needing to use a toilet, we are being advised to wash our hands often for at least 20 seconds. How is this possible if toilets are closed? Keeping them shut may help with social distancing, but it does no favours in encouraging the excellent standards of hygiene we all need to have to control the virus.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ryan125hst

Established Member
That's not as bad if they are opened up on request. Still a bit of a pain to have to go and find a member of staff to use a toilet though.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think it's bad enough when station toilets are closed before the end of service as it certainly is not customer friendly. What about if a train is delayed or the train's onboard toilet is locked out of use, or if it doesn't have one in the first place!

But from what others have said it's even worse during the current pandemic. Key workers have always been able to travel, so what were/are they supposed to do if they need to use the toilet while waiting for their train? Not everyone lives next door to a station, and of course pubs/cafes/departments stores were all shut for three months so the usual potential alternatives were unavailable. As restrictions are lifted and more people travel, this is clearly going to become even more of an issue.

I understand them closing waiting rooms and removing catering to keep staff and passengers safe, but toilets should be open. Aside from the issue of needing to use a toilet, we are being advised to wash our hands often for at least 20 seconds. How is this possible if toilets are closed? Keeping them shut may help with social distancing, but it does no favours in encouraging the excellent standards of hygiene we all need to have to control the virus.

Many stations with toilers that are only open part time which is usually the same hours that the station (often Booking Office only) is open. This is due to potential vandalism.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Thank you, that's reassuring.

One thing to watch though is the one way system, depending on which end of the platform you are on you may be directed to the walkway which only goes to platforms not the lounges. If directed that way by a pink hi-viz bod tell them you want to stay in the lounge (or use the toilet if you want) then they'll direct you.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LNER did not consult with, nor seek approval from, DfT regarding the closure of their toilets (which have since reopened).

....Can you detail any relevant correspondence between yourselves and either Northern Rail / LNER regarding the following matters ... The decision by LNER to close toilet facilities at major stations, which resulted in no handwashing facilities, denying passengers the ability to comply with Government guidance to wash hands regularly....

The Department does not hold information in regard to toilet closures.

adc82140

Established Member
Interesting. My town council has now reopened their facilities. It may be coindidence, but I mentioned informally to one of the councillors that I was considering going down the FOI route.

matt_world2004

Established Member
We've been on short shifts throughout our job because we are dependent on public toilet facilities and they have been closed

Status
Not open for further replies.