• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Toilet waste 'sprays' track staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
From BBC News:

BBC News said:
Rail workers have said their health is at risk because they are being sprayed with human waste from passing trains.

The Rail Maritime and Transport union said excrement on board GNER trains is being released on to tracks when they travel at speed or brake heavily.
The problem was raised by workers in Darlington and at the North East depot in Heaton, Newcastle, 18 months ago.
GNER said it had carried out an investigation and was spending £500,000 on a new tank emptying facility.

'Safety rules'

Bob Crow, general secretary of the RMT, said the train company was flouting safety rules.
He said: "GNER have finally admitted that they have known for years that their trains are spraying human excrement into the atmosphere but they have yet to stop it happening.
"At one point it was suggested that track workers simply turn their backs when one of these trains approached, but not only would that not stop anyone breathing in the spray, it is completely contrary to safety rules."
A GNER spokesman said the problem related to a lack of tank emptying facilities at the Heaton depot.

Hygiene advice

He said: "The problem related to a lack of tank emptying facilities at the Heaton depot, run by Northern Rail. Heaton is one of six depots used to stable GNER trains overnight.

"All of the other depots we use have dedicated tank emptying facilities which allow retention tanks to be routinely emptied nightly as normal procedure.

"A temporary tank drainage facility was introduced at Heaton, and the frequency of tank emptying increased.

"GNER, in partnership with Network Rail and Northern Rail, are installing a permanent tank emptying facility at Heaton at a cost of more than £500,000."

He also said there was no risk to the health of passengers and that track workers had been given hygiene advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

Metroland said:
Never complained about it before, it's only been like it for about 150 years lol

Yea, but modern day Rail Workers aren't use to it, they're use to these retention tanks arent they?

Dennis

Established Member
Absolutely agree - in this day and age, dumping crap out of a train is unacceptable now matter how it occurs. However, given the odours associated with CET, I know which system I, as a passenger, prefer.

Next time you see a trespasser on the line where toilet waste is emitted, mention it; :puke: :sign5: .

O L Leigh

Established Member
Chaps,

GNER stock has CET tanks. As the BBC piece clearly says, the problem only happens when they are not emptied.

Effluent dumped out the underside of a train travelling at even modest speeds is atomised by the airflow, turning the liquid part into a fine aerosol that gets carried by the breeze into some surprising places. You can see the effect on FGE Cl321's which still have pale grey coach ends. All are clean except for the inner ends of the middle coaches which are, unsurprisingly, right by the on-train lavs. These are heavily stained by dried effluent, part which is carried up between the coach ends.

It's unpleasant stuff and certainly toxic. It doesn't matter that effluent has been dumped on the tracks for 150 years, as back then trains went much more slowly than they do now which limited the spread. Also, track workers have always complained about getting covered with all manner of unpleasantness. Just because the BBC picks up on it now and makes it a news item does not mean that it's a new phenomena.

one TN

metrocammel

I was reading the article, and Im not sure if actually understand it. It refers to the "waste" tanks not being emptied at Heaton (due to lack of resources) however, I was under the impression all mk3s (including mk3 based units) directly dumped it onto the tracks, without the waste being retained at all. The article give the impression that the waste tanks are getting too full (suggesting mk4? - as I thought the only GNER train with retention tanks are mk4's) , and then "overflowing". Otherwise I cant see why this problem is just linked to GNER, as surely TPE and Northern services on this part of the ECML *edited* travelling upto 90mph will also cause the same problem?

Guinness

Established Member
metrocammel said:
I was reading the article, and Im not sure if actually understand it. It refers to the "waste" tanks not being emptied at Heaton (due to lack of resources) however, I was under the impression all mk3s (including mk3 based units) directly dumped it onto the tracks, without the waste being retained at all. The article give the impression that the waste tanks are getting too full (suggesting mk4? - as I thought the only GNER train with retention tanks are mk4's) , and then "overflowing". Otherwise I cant see why this problem is just linked to GNER, as surely TPE and Northern services on this part of the WCML travelling upto 90mph will also cause the same problem?

GNER travel on the WCML now? Wonders never cease. ;) :)

ChrisM

Recently i was at Swindon and the bay platform tracks used by Sprinters (i believe) were covered in **** and toilet roll,not a pleasent sight.

Dennis

Established Member
ChrisM said:
Recently i was at Swindon and the bay platform tracks used by Sprinters (i believe) were covered in **** and toilet roll,not a pleasent sight.

Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who are incapable or reading the notices posted in train bogs about not flushing in stations.

Out of interest, how large are waste tanks (typically) and how frequently are they emptied? I often wonder just how many miles my turds might cover (and if I should add it to my route coverage maps).

Back OT, if the problem is aerosol formation, that is considerably more serious than the more traditional dumping of waste. Aerosols are capable of being inhaled and the risk of infection from many serious diseases is vastly increased. Traditional dumping of waste will result mainly in large scale splashes which if normal avoidance measures and hygiene precautions are followed should not be a problem.

metrocammel

metrocammel said:
I was reading the article, and Im not sure if actually understand it. It refers to the "waste" tanks not being emptied at Heaton (due to lack of resources) however, I was under the impression all mk3s (including mk3 based units) directly dumped it onto the tracks, without the waste being retained at all. The article give the impression that the waste tanks are getting too full (suggesting mk4? - as I thought the only GNER train with retention tanks are mk4's) , and then "overflowing". Otherwise I cant see why this problem is just linked to GNER, as surely TPE and Northern services on this part of the ECML *edited* travelling upto 90mph will also cause the same problem?

CHAZ said:
GNER travel on the WCML now? Wonders never cease.

Ooops! It was late, and I was tired! Plus I must have an obsession with the WCML, what with it's wonderful dildo style trains, that don't spray cr*p....

Status
Not open for further replies.