• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tokenless Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cin88

If it runs on ETB regulations, am I right in thinking the signaller can authorise a train to pass the signal at danger and enter the single line for shunting purposes?

Under ETB regulations, you need the token to be able to shunt if said shunt requires entry into the single line section concerned.

Tomnick

Established Member
Rainford signal box has a single token machine for both Knowsley and Kirkby.

Trains to Kirkby collect the token from the signaller at Rainford and return it on the way back. There's an auxiliary token machine at Dale Lane for trains to Knowsley, so that they can lock-in, and allow the passenger trains access to the single line.

It has in the past been shown as OT(S) in the section appendix, but is now shown as NST. Talking to a colleague who works the box at Rainford, he assures me he definitely exists and operates the line under ETB regulations. :lol:
I'm confident that the Sectional Appendix is correct, in that case. NST, perhaps confusingly, doesn't mean that there's no signaller at all ("you will need this module if you carry out the duties of a signaller in a no-signaller token area"). It means, effectively, that there's no signaller at the far end of the section, so the signaller at one end (or at a remote location?) oversees the single line in its entirety.

It wouldn't make sense for it to be worked under ETB regs - the majority of the content of TS4, and the differences from TS7, relates to the method of working between two signal boxes, which isn't the case at Rainford!

matchmaker

Established Member
The Scottish Region Tokenless Block was as I understand it designed to replicate as near as possible the operation of traditional tablet/key token instruments, minus of course the tablet/token!
I've done a search and found a post by the late Peter Jordan in the SRS forums that confirms the above. In particular, Peter states that the ScR Tokenless Block was designed to replicate a Tyers No. 6 tablet instrument.

MarkyT

Established Member
I've done a search and found a post by the late Peter Jordan in the SRS forums that confirms the above. In particular, Peter states that the ScR Tokenless Block was designed to replicate a Tyers No. 6 tablet instrument.
Were tablet machines more common in Scotland than England and Wales, where I've only had experience of key tokens, both on National Rail and heritage lines?

paul1609

Established Member
Were tablet machines more common in Scotland than England and Wales, where I've only had experience of key tokens, both on National Rail and heritage lines?
We (Kent & East Sussex Railway) Tenterden Town to Rolvenden and I believe the Swanage Railway still have tablet machines. I believe they were once common throughout GB but were gradually replaced by key tokens as the machines were easier to maintain.

matchmaker

Established Member
Tablet instruments are still in use on parts of the Stranraer line. When I bashed the signal boxes between Crianlarich and Oban in the early 1970s it was mostly tablet instruments, whereas the Fort William line and from Craigendoran to Crianlarich was mostly No 9 key token instruments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.