tomonthetrains trips - The Northern Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
And the reason its called the Northern Duo is because I had 2 days of Northern Rail loveliness!

Day One - Friday 30 March 2012

I got to Wolverhampton to get a SVR to Stockport with my railcard for the simple reason of the Virgin Trains railcard easement. Coffee in hand and a sausage bap from Pumpkin on platform 1, 221112 and 221143 was the first 2 units that I had which took me to Crewe on VT 1S39. Upon arrival at Crewe, I had a scheduled +4 connection. I managed to get to the platform in time for 390016 from there to Stockport operating VT 1H61. Whilst on 1H61 I approached the TM to get me a Stockport to Heaton Chapel SDS. At £1.40 non discounted I could not complain!

On arrival to Stockport, I checked what time 2J45 was due to depart then I got required 323230 from there to Heaton Chapel on 2H11. Went up to the booking office to get my Northern Day ranger (At a tenner I can't complain!) however, one problem, the person who was at the he didn't know what one was or even how to issue one! It took him 10 minutes to issue it! Anyhow, 150222 and 150138 was the next duo (Northern Duo, geddit?) from Heaton Chapel to Stockport on 2H94.

Then it was the one I've been waiting for! A taste of home with ex London Midland 150214 operating service 2J45 between Stockport and Stalybridge a.k.a The Denton Flyer. Upon arrival at Stalybridge, I nipped down to the ticket office to have TRUST checked to see what was on the last Friday 1K39 of the financial year which I found out would be 90044

150139 was next up on a busy 2M63 between Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria via Ashton-Under-Lyme. I nipped up to McDonalds at Victoria to get me a Sausage and Egg McMuffin Meal and to use the free wifi. It was here where I ripped up, and scrapped the plan! Next up was 156440 and 142001 from Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street on 2F21. Now, if the pacer had not been locked out of passenger use, no prizes had the pacer been in use where I would have sat!

A quick run around the platform to get another train to leave Liverpool Lime Street, 150225 was my unit to Huyton operating 2J34. At Huyton, I got 156481 to Preston as 2N88. I even managed a nice run up the WCML! That was a shock! I then got a Stagecoach Enviro400 from the Train Station to the Bus Station and a Preston Bus Optare Solo back from the Bus Station.

Finally, A bashable pacer!!! 150136 and 142048 from Preston to Bolton operating 2H08. No guessing where I could be found! It was Pacerlicious! At Bolton, I got 150273 to Salford Crescent operating 2J66.

Next up from Salford Crescent was a double pacer (YES!) to Manchester Airport. The beauties were 142003 and 142063 on 2A16. I could tell that '063 was ex FGW because of the seating! Sausage bap later, 323231 was next between Manchester Airport and Manchester Piccadilly operating 2A80. A quick bendydildo (390003) later between Manchester Piccadilly and Wilmslow as service 1A56, I got 323231 to Crewe on 2A91.

At Crewe, I waited for 1L83 to Stafford which turned to be a delayed 350108. After a short wait at Stafford, I got Cross Country 220008 to Birmingham New Street operating 1O28. On this set I tried to make a ten minute reservation between Stafford and Birmingham but couldn't get one, even with many ways of trying to get one!

Next up was 390047 between Birmingham New Street and Coventry on 1B84. And then, the big one, 90044 on 1K39!!! I caught this beast with WB64 from Coventry to Wolverhampton. This had a 9 minute late departure and a 1 minute early arrival. This was thanks to some lovely lovely lovely padding at Birmingham New Street. Upon arrival at Wolverhampton, I had my tea, got a bus home, arrived home and bed!

Saturday 31 March 2012

Another 0500 wake up, I headed to Stourbridge Junction to get mega dud 168108 to Smethwick Galton Bridge on 1H18. Why do I can't I seem to find required 168219 so I can clear the Class 168 fleet that Chiltern have?

A quick jog down the stairs at Smethwick Galton Bridge to see a woman and her 5 kids and 20 suitcases and the kitchen sink waiting to board the 0707 1F32 Liverpool Lime Street service which got formed of 350102. I caught this only as far as Crewe where I brought a Crewe - Manchester VT Only CDS. Only problem I had was on 350102, I kept falling asleep because of lack of sleep, having been up at 0500!

After having to wait for the 08:08 Arriva Trains Wales service which had ended up on my platform, 390016 was my service to Stockport on 1H61. Now why was this familiar? It was because I had bashed it yesterday :( I had to visit the TM to get another Stockport - Heaton Chapel SDS but because it wasn't a weekday, I could use my railcard so it ended up 85p.

Next up was required 323239 operating between Stockport and Heaton Chapel on 2H11. Went up to the ticket office to find the same person I had yesterday had served me. He said Do you want <strong>another</strong> Northern Rail Day Ranger to which I said yes please!

I left Heaton Chapel on 323235 to get to Manchester Piccadilly where I had a portion of Hash Browns and a Sausage Sandwich from The West Cornwall Pastry Company then it was a slow stroll over to platform 14 for my next train. 156475 was my train from Manchester Piccadilly to Preston operating 2N23. The guard on there was the same as one of my services yesterday! What's the odds of that?

After a short break at Preston, including nabbing the first class wifi off a Virgin Voyager, I got 150136 to Blackpool South operating 2S19 and returning on the same unit as 2N10 although this was 7 minutes down. 158757 was next up heading from Preston to Blackpool North as 1B26. At Blackpool Station I saw this cardboard cutout of a Northern Teddy explaining how to use the barriers.

I then went into town as I knew I had 25 minutes to get lunch so I got a Sweet Chilli Chicken baguette (shown below) and also a Sausage Barm (Bap/roll/cob for us Midlanders!) from a place called The Abingdon Chicken Barbecue and photographed a couple of Blackpool Transport buses there too. I then had to run to the station to get a decent seat on the 158 back!

158757 again was my ride, this time between Blackpool North and Leeds operating 1B31. We got stuck outside Preston for 5 minutes and then waited inside the platform at Preston. This turned out to be due to some idiot walking around on the tracks. We got to Leeds 19 minutes late and I did slightly regret not getting the pacer I saw on the other platform at Blackpool heading to Liverpool - however I stucked to the 158 because I wanted to clear the line to Leeds.

After a +7 at Leeds to 158853 operating 1Y45 between Leeds and Sheffield. This got followed by me going RA to Pumpkin to get a Hot Dog. I left Sheffield on 142036 operating 2S55 to Manchester Piccadilly. We did get held outside
Sheffield for a late running TPE service but I did get to see a XC HST which was quite nice! That along with the sights of the Hope Valley Line, where I managed to get some pics of the scenery! Because of having to wait for the late running TPE, we got into Manchester late which meant I couldn't get my usual Mancunion meal.

After a Chicken Royale with Cheese at Manchester Piccadilly, 323224 was my Northern service to Crewe operating 2K20. I got into Crewe in time for me to get 390051 to Birmingham New Street where I finished the weekends mileage on 1M60!

Total Mileage - 761m 10ch
Friday Mileage - 337m 61ch
Saturday Mileage - 423m 29ch

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

So you had a ride on me did you? :)

Funny that we were just metres apart and didn't even know it. (My house backs onto the Blackpool to Leeds line near Todmorden).

And the reason its called the Northern Duo is because I had 2 days of Northern Rail loveliness!

Day One - Friday 30 March 2012

I got to Wolverhampton to get a SVR to Stockport with my railcard for the simple reason of the Virgin Trains railcard easement. Coffee in hand and a sausage bap from Pumpkin on platform 1, 221112 and 221143 was the first 2 units that I had which took me to Crewe on VT 1S39. Upon arrival at Crewe, I had a scheduled +4 connection. I managed to get to the platform in time for 390016 from there to Stockport operating VT 1H61. Whilst on 1H61 I approached the TM to get me a Stockport to Heaton Chapel SDS. At £1.40 non discounted I could not complain!

On arrival to Stockport, I checked what time 2J45 was due to depart then I got required 323230 from there to Heaton Chapel on 2H11. Went up to the booking office to get my Northern Day ranger (At a tenner I can't complain!) however, one problem, the person who was at the he didn't know what one was or even how to issue one! It took him 10 minutes to issue it! Anyhow, 150222 and 150138 was the next duo (Northern Duo, geddit?) from Heaton Chapel to Stockport on 2H94.

Then it was the one I've been waiting for! A taste of home with ex London Midland 150214 operating service 2J45 between Stockport and Stalybridge a.k.a The Denton Flyer. Upon arrival at Stalybridge, I nipped down to the ticket office to have TRUST checked to see what was on the last Friday 1K39 of the financial year which I found out would be 90044

150139 was next up on a busy 2M63 between Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria via Ashton-Under-Lyme. I nipped up to McDonalds at Victoria to get me a Sausage and Egg McMuffin Meal and to use the free wifi. It was here where I ripped up, and scrapped the plan! Next up was 156440 and 142001 from Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street on 2F21. Now, if the pacer had not been locked out of passenger use, no prizes had the pacer been in use where I would have sat!

A quick run around the platform to get another train to leave Liverpool Lime Street, 150225 was my unit to Huyton operating 2J34. At Huyton, I got 156481 to Preston as 2N88. I even managed a nice run up the WCML! That was a shock! I then got a Stagecoach Enviro400 from the Train Station to the Bus Station and a Preston Bus Optare Solo back from the Bus Station.

Finally, A bashable pacer!!! 150136 and 142048 from Preston to Bolton operating 2H08. No guessing where I could be found! It was Pacerlicious! At Bolton, I got 150273 to Salford Crescent operating 2J66.

Next up from Salford Crescent was a double pacer (YES!) to Manchester Airport. The beauties were 142003 and 142063 on 2A16. I could tell that '063 was ex FGW because of the seating! Sausage bap later, 323231 was next between Manchester Airport and Manchester Piccadilly operating 2A80. A quick bendydildo (390003) later between Manchester Piccadilly and Wilmslow as service 1A56, I got 323231 to Crewe on 2A91.

At Crewe, I waited for 1L83 to Stafford which turned to be a delayed 350108. After a short wait at Stafford, I got Cross Country 220008 to Birmingham New Street operating 1O28. On this set I tried to make a ten minute reservation between Stafford and Birmingham but couldn't get one, even with many ways of trying to get one!

Next up was 390047 between Birmingham New Street and Coventry on 1B84. And then, the big one, 90044 on 1K39!!! I caught this beast with WB64 from Coventry to Wolverhampton. This had a 9 minute late departure and a 1 minute early arrival. This was thanks to some lovely lovely lovely padding at Birmingham New Street. Upon arrival at Wolverhampton, I had my tea, got a bus home, arrived home and bed!

Saturday 31 March 2012

Another 0500 wake up, I headed to Stourbridge Junction to get mega dud 168108 to Smethwick Galton Bridge on 1H18. Why do I can't I seem to find required 168219 so I can clear the Class 168 fleet that Chiltern have?

A quick jog down the stairs at Smethwick Galton Bridge to see a woman and her 5 kids and 20 suitcases and the kitchen sink waiting to board the 0707 1F32 Liverpool Lime Street service which got formed of 350102. I caught this only as far as Crewe where I brought a Crewe - Manchester VT Only CDS. Only problem I had was on 350102, I kept falling asleep because of lack of sleep, having been up at 0500!

After having to wait for the 08:08 Arriva Trains Wales service which had ended up on my platform, 390016 was my service to Stockport on 1H61. Now why was this familiar? It was because I had bashed it yesterday :( I had to visit the TM to get another Stockport - Heaton Chapel SDS but because it wasn't a weekday, I could use my railcard so it ended up 85p.

Next up was required 323239 operating between Stockport and Heaton Chapel on 2H11. Went up to the ticket office to find the same person I had yesterday had served me. He said Do you want <strong>another</strong> Northern Rail Day Ranger to which I said yes please!

I left Heaton Chapel on 323235 to get to Manchester Piccadilly where I had a portion of Hash Browns and a Sausage Sandwich from The West Cornwall Pastry Company then it was a slow stroll over to platform 14 for my next train. 156475 was my train from Manchester Piccadilly to Preston operating 2N23. The guard on there was the same as one of my services yesterday! What's the odds of that?

After a short break at Preston, including nabbing the first class wifi off a Virgin Voyager, I got 150136 to Blackpool South operating 2S19 and returning on the same unit as 2N10 although this was 7 minutes down. 158757 was next up heading from Preston to Blackpool North as 1B26. At Blackpool Station I saw this cardboard cutout of a Northern Teddy explaining how to use the barriers.

I then went into town as I knew I had 25 minutes to get lunch so I got a Sweet Chilli Chicken baguette (shown below) and also a Sausage Barm (Bap/roll/cob for us Midlanders!) from a place called The Abingdon Chicken Barbecue and photographed a couple of Blackpool Transport buses there too. I then had to run to the station to get a decent seat on the 158 back!

158757 again was my ride, this time between Blackpool North and Leeds operating 1B31. We got stuck outside Preston for 5 minutes and then waited inside the platform at Preston. This turned out to be due to some idiot walking around on the tracks. We got to Leeds 19 minutes late and I did slightly regret not getting the pacer I saw on the other platform at Blackpool heading to Liverpool - however I stucked to the 158 because I wanted to clear the line to Leeds.

After a +7 at Leeds to 158853 operating 1Y45 between Leeds and Sheffield. This got followed by me going RA to Pumpkin to get a Hot Dog. I left Sheffield on 142036 operating 2S55 to Manchester Piccadilly. We did get held outside
Sheffield for a late running TPE service but I did get to see a XC HST which was quite nice! That along with the sights of the Hope Valley Line, where I managed to get some pics of the scenery! Because of having to wait for the late running TPE, we got into Manchester late which meant I couldn't get my usual Mancunion meal.

After a Chicken Royale with Cheese at Manchester Piccadilly, 323224 was my Northern service to Crewe operating 2K20. I got into Crewe in time for me to get 390051 to Birmingham New Street where I finished the weekends mileage on 1M60!

Total Mileage - 761m 10ch
Friday Mileage - 337m 61ch
Saturday Mileage - 423m 29ch
The Hope Valley Line does offer some fantastic scenery:D

Hudds_Bungle

Did you not have the time to go Leeds to Sheffield via Huddersfield and Penistone? You'd have certainly bagged a pacer on there, probably a 144(3), the views around Oxspring are quite good too.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Did you not have the time to go Leeds to Sheffield via Huddersfield and Penistone? You'd have certainly bagged a pacer on there, probably a 144(3), the views around Oxspring are quite good too.
LAst 8 times ive caught the line, its been a 158/150 and 144(3) operating the line. Which isnt bad for an hourly rural line!

Status
Not open for further replies.