• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Too many announcements? BBC report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaddie

I sometime wonder if the continent could be a good inspriation. For example from Switzerland

[German] "Welcome aboard the Intercity to Thun, Spiez, Visp & Brig, We wish you a pleasant journey. The next stop is Bern. For drinks and snacks please visit the restaurant car in the middle of the train" [/German] (repeats in French and English)

It takes less time to do all three languages then most UK announcements take to do English (and before the Buffet staff do their own announcement)
And then, about a minute prior to each stop, there's a simple "Next stop, Filisur" (in two or three languages, as appropriate). That really is all a passenger needs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
What drives me nuts is on a 455 in the cab, each time the PIS system goes to make an announcement, it goes ping and on certain journeys you'll hear the ****ing ping nearly 50 times. Arrrgh! <D

DelayRepay

Established Member
A few of the "change here for..." announcements annoy me a bit (when they list practically half of England!). Who would set off on a journey to the other end of the country and not know where to change.

The buffet announcements also annoy me. I think most people will be able to work out that a buffet will sell a selection of food and drink. I don't need to know that you have Lattes, Americanos, Cappuccinos, Hot Chocolate, English Breakfast Tea, Earl Gray Tea, a selection of fruit teas, coca cola, lemonade......

amateur

On Moderation
Do I really need to "Remember to take all of your personal belongings with you when leaving the train"?)

I thought that was the polite way of saying please take your rubbish with you and don't leave it for us to clean up eg newspapers empty tea cups etc

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The thing I find about announcements is that I don't want too many (some EC guards), but I definitely prefer manual to automated announcements (like on Virgin). Some East Coast guards have it just right, speeding through the basic announcements, but there's always a food bar announcement just after it, that takes about three times the length and is full of someone stumbling through their lines :P

Could you do any better?

Soyyo

As a passenger, I feel very strongly that there are far too many announcements made. Automated ones are the worst.

The one I dislike most intensely is Transpennine Express, where we have to suffer a load of nonsense about reporting anything suspicious, reading the safety notices, etc after almost every station.

Their Liverpool to Newcastle service has automated disinformation. Every time you get about 3 or 4 minutes out of MCV in the direction of Huddersfield, you are informed by the electronic woman that you will shortly be arriving at Manchester Victoria (which you have just left) and to take all your belongings with you. But its superflous - the people who wanted MCV had managed to leave the train there quite nicely thank you, and dont suddenly jump up from their seats.

The most annoying human ones are the Virgin "BING BONG" - because they are preceded by this ridiculous, distorted, over loud and disturbing electronic chime, which I am informed cannot be turned off.

There are some useful and welcome announcements. These are the ones made by train staff when something unusual is happening. It's very reassuring to be advised e.g. that we are crawling along because a slow stopper is running late but that we will probably arrive in a few minutes. Many train staff are excellent at knowing the value to us passengers of this sort of update.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I have always found that announcements are made for people who don't know where they are going rather than those who do.

I try and view it that they are not solely for me and there is someone on the train who is benefiting from them.

On a side note. Is there a requirement for specific train announcements to be made at certain frequencies/locations ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A few of the "change here for..." announcements annoy me a bit (when they list practically half of England!). Who would set off on a journey to the other end of the country and not know where to change.

I'd actually quite like the German or Swiss style "Your next connections: InterRegio to Brig platform 5, Regio to Spiez platform 2" etc. I note some VT guards have started doing these manually using what seems to be Realtimetrains, but I see no reason they shouldn't be built into the automatic PIS.

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a passenger, I feel very strongly that there are far too many announcements made. Automated ones are the worst.

The one I dislike most intensely is Transpennine Express, where we have to suffer a load of nonsense about reporting anything suspicious, reading the safety notices, etc after almost every station.

Said by an autoannouncer with IMO a very rude, clipped voice, which perfectly sums up the arrogant attitude that pervades TPE.

(Other than the Class 185s themselves those who have encountered me on uk.r will know I have very little time for anything to do with that operation - the best thing that could happen to it would IMO be to merge it back into Northern).

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The most annoying human ones are the Virgin "BING BONG" - because they are preceded by this ridiculous, distorted, over loud and disturbing electronic chime, which I am informed cannot be turned off.

Some actually like it as it ensures it wakes them up for their stop. But I agree - the old Mk3 guitar strum was far more civilised. I hear that a new autoannouncer is being tested on one Pendolino set and has done away with it - it will be good riddance if it goes!

Neil

johntea

Established Member
The automatic announcements on 333 are more a hindrance than a help! Especially when they end up confusing themselves and it insists the 'Next station is Connonley' despite the fact the train is now closer to Shipley!

They also repeat far too often, 'The next station is Shipley' at least 5 times during the 10 minute journey to Shipley. Not like you've picked up any passengers along the way so I'm sure everyone on the train is fully aware of that! Sit on the wrong unit in the wrong carriage and it bloody deafens you too! :lol:

I also don't know who does the 321 announcements and I know it is probably more to do with the Yorkshire accent but some of the stop names are read out in a manner that isn't too far off what you would hear on the other end of an 'adult line' ;)

O L Leigh

Established Member
Yes there is; treat passengers as adults and not naughty children and stop patronising them with irrelevant information.

"Naughty children"...? Really?

I stand by what I say. You may not need them and find them annoying, but some people are not as confident about rail travel as you and need the information and reassurance. The numbers who come and ask where my train is going even though it says it plainly on the front and on the screens on the platform next to it suggests that this proportion is not insignificant. Indeed some seem to need to be met at the station door and lead by the hand to their destination.

Announcing the stopping pattern is commonsense as, in the light of the hullabaloo about the £1000 excess handed to the group travelling on a Virgin service using LM tickets, is announcing ticketing restrictions. I'm not sure of the legal requirements for giving safety announcements, but given the prevalence of such announcements telling the location of fire exits in theatres and the like I imagine that these are mandated. Announcements about onboard services are likely best described as advertising.

I'm a seasoned rail traveller and professional and really don't need to know a lot of the information given in announcements but I appreciate that there are some who do. However, even for me there are times when I travel to a new destination on an unfamiliar service where the announcements are useful. For the rest of the time I can simply filter them out as background noise and find them no more annoying than track noise. In the grand scheme of things, is it really something to be getting so very upset about? It's no less a part of the railway landscape now than the door warbles.

Anyone unfamiliar with train travel could find out all the information they need in advance either through websites or station staff. We all managed perfectly well up until the current mania for over-announcing started.

You think...?

I seem to recall suggesting something similar when it came to ticketing restrictions but the response I got suggested that this was somehow unreasonable.

O L Leigh

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The announcements quoting "the train will call at the following principal stations:-
xxxxx etc. on ATW 175s on Marches listing all the stations from Manchester to Milford Haven is just a drag. Some of these announcements you hear are so tedious people just switch off and don't bother to listen.

When I was travelling from West Wales to Cardiff one weekend and the Marches Line was blocked between Newport and Shrewsbury with bustitution, trains were announced as Trains to Newport. This is due to the inflexibility of the system, and although technically correct, info telling passengers to change to a bus seems to be too trivial to mention. That is the sort of information passengers need and not info such as place rubbish in bins on trains and stations and then when you arrive at Cardiff Central as you next station, there are no bins.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
We had the same on the RER in Paris (and the metro) - every station that the train called at would be lit, and then the light would flash when that stop was next up.

Announcements were kept to a minimum and we were only reminded (in 3 languages!) of the destination of the train at the last station before the two branches split off.

There was an occasional mind the gap, but only for stations that warranted it.

I quite like the Paris Metro approach for simplicity. The station name is said twice (once before the station, then again as it hits the platform) in differing tones. Mind the gap announcements were made where necessary in three languages. I noticed a similar approach on Line N of Transilien along to Rambouillet.

Qwerty133

Established Member
needed: stations called at, any short platforms
not needed: location of first, quiet coach, buffet, day of the week, weather, 'do not feed the
llamas/ salamanders / (any other random animal) (although that was quite funny), don't alight from the rear x coaches as you'll break your leg, safety posters, ticket check (especially if you're not doing one), wifi, plug sockets etc.
Although some of the above are useful, they're seriously not appreciated twice in 5 minutes.

class26

Humour also works

Recently a Hull Trains announcement on arrival at Kings X over 5 mins early simply said they were early due to the driver having an extra Weetabix that morning !

Just shows the staff are human

bengley

Established Member
I made a trip to into town earlier and in the 2 minute journey from Hastings to Ore:

"Welcome aboard the Southern service to Ore calling at Ore only. This is Coach 1 of 4. We are now approaching Ore. This is Coach 1 of 4. We are now arriving at Ore where this train terminates. Please ensure you take all of your personal belongings with you when leaving the train. All change."

The journey between Hastings and Ore is so short, there's no point having a "we are now approaching" message. It usually ends up being cut off by the next GPS (?) trigger anyway. The coach information is superfluous in a verbal announcement on this part of the service as there's no car length issues at Ore.

"Welcome aboard the Southern service to Ore, the next station, where this train terminates."

"We are now arriving at Ore, please take all belongings with you upon alighting. This train terminates here. All change please, all change."

It's worse than that!

Southern now announce 'This train is the Southern service to x' before every 'we are now approaching' announcement!

I don't need to know the destination of the train before every station and after every station!

Hophead

Established Member
It's worse than that!

Southern now announce 'This train is the Southern service to x' before every 'we are now approaching' announcement!

I don't need to know the destination of the train before every station and after every station!

And, if you're alighting, the final destination is of limited interest (unless there are people on board who say "Caterham? Really? Think I'll stay on for the ride then".

Taunton

Established Member
At least you lot out on the national network are spared the absolutely unremitting and continuous announcements on the London Underground, both at stations and on board, about there being a "Good Service" everywhere. This is especially galling when you are waiting and waiting on the platform in the rain for a train which has already been three times the published frequency.

I am convinced that when the Day of Armageddon comes and everything is reduced to a smoking ruin, all that will remain audible is a continuous TfL announcement from under the rubble that "There is a Good Service on all lines".

Squaddie

At least you lot out on the national network are spared the absolutely unremitting and continuous announcements on the London Underground, both at stations and on board, about there being a "Good Service" everywhere. This is especially galling when you are waiting and waiting on the platform in the rain for a train which has already been three times the published frequency.
Although, to be fair, the other day when there were 20-minute gaps between trains on the entire Victoria Line in the rush hour due to a broken-down train they did warn the hundreds of passengers waiting six-deep on the platform at Highbury that there were "minor delays" on the line.

ComUtoR

Established Member
DelayRepay said:

Are you kidding me? Seriously, lot's of people.

I planned a Journey today and it gave me 3 changes. I know the network pretty well and I know that 1 of those stations is a regular stop so will not have an interchange announcement although I will need to change there for HS1 The other 2 are changes for the tube.

Most of the "Change here for..." are Major interchange stations or a station where you can switch lines. Automatic announcements serve a purpose and are there for EVERYONE. IF anyone has an issue with them I would suggest dropping a line to Passenger Focus with suggestions and changes. A big passenger grip that constantly comes up is the lack of announcements. Now we are in a situation where there is too many ? Are we all that fickle ?

My only gripe is where there is a automatic one and the guard will speak over it and repeat the same information. If they feel that they can do a better job please please switch off the robot first. (Yes I know it may be unit specific here)

scarby

Automated announcements on TPE trains at Scarborough about "seeing anything suspicious"... seriously, GET REAL. The last time a bomb exploded in Scarborough was when the Luftwaffe dropped some in 1941.

Phillipimo

On London Midland yesterday:
"The next station is Liverpool South Parkway for John Lennon Airport; change here for Liverpool John Lennon Airport"
I wouldn't have guessed haha!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Automated announcements on TPE trains at Scarborough about "seeing anything suspicious"... seriously, GET REAL. The last time a bomb exploded in Scarborough was when the Luftwaffe dropped some in 1941.

I believe the Security Stuff is required by the Government if the Terror Threat Level is above a certain level. Announcments must be made at a certain frequency (IIRC they are supposed to be made at least every 30 mins but I don't know any TOC that does so willingly unless the train has stopped) The Wording is set by the Government as well IIRC.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
I believe the Security Stuff is required by the Government if the Terror Threat Level is above a certain level.
Well the "Terror Threat" :roll: is always above "A Certain Level" now, this keeps thousands of security bureaucrats, including those who set the level and made such a ludicrous stipulation, in a job.

I don't get these announcements in the bus, I don't get them on the radio or the TV, why should I get them on a train?

Established Member
I think the approach used on DB Regio trains in Germany is good. Apart from sometimes a 'welcome aboard' announcement at the start of the journey, the only automatic announcements are the next station, and sometimes which side the doors will open on. At interchange stations, the guard announces connecting trains and their platforms, which is actually useful if you have a tight connection. On newer stock, connection information is also displayed on LCD screens. You don't need to be reminded of where the train is going every 5 minutes, as you surely would have seen this when boarding the train, either from a platform display or destination indicator on the front/side of the train!

I also like the Paris approach of having an illuminated map, the new Alstom units on the Amsterdam Metro have this feature too.

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I don't get these announcements in the bus, I don't get them on the radio or the TV, why should I get them on a train?

Very good point, that. A bus was blown up in the London bombings in 2007 so buses are just as likely to be targeted as trains, yet you never hear any such announcements about "anything suspicious" on a bus.

Where will it end? Will the government install massive speakers on every street corner telling us to not leave our bags unattended or report anyone who looks a bit suspicious to the "security services"? Will we be told not to run, cycle or rollerblade on the pavement and informed that security services patrol these streets 24 hours a day?

At the end of the day it's all nonsense. Just tell me where my train's going, where it calls at on the way and don't bother me again unless there's a delay or other problem. Otherwise, STFU!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.