• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tooting by-election

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
With the murder of Jo Cox the fact that there was a by-election in Tooting yesterday (caused by Sadiq Khan standing down) hasn't got as much media attention as it would otherwise have got.

While there's no surprise that Labour kept the seat there, one thing I find surprising is the seat has been won by an A&E Doctor who seems to be planning to be a MP as well as a Doctor.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

There was minimal coverage of the by-election before yesterday's events.

Regarding remaining as a Doctor whilst serving as an MP, lots of MPs famously have second jobs, many are practising GPs - many roles especially medical ones require continuous work in order to avoid full retraining so all in all it's not a bad move if you ask me.

Phil.

Established Member
So, if I've got this correct these M.P.s who whine about having no family life because of their job and how little time they have are all liars. It seems in fact that they have loads of time - enough to have second jobs.
Time to make your M.P. work - don't vote for them.

ExRes

Established Member
Not to be pedantic but an A&E Doctor and a GP are slightly different when it comes to finding the available time to do both jobs properly and effectively, if she can though then more power to her elbow

Not to be pedantic but an A&E Doctor and a GP are slightly different when it comes to finding the available time to do both jobs properly and effectively, if she can though then more power to her elbow

Oh I agree, but does anyone really have a problem with someone working as a MP and an A&E Doctor? Large sections of society often claim that politicians are remote and don't know what it's like on the front line especially when it comes to the NHS.

I'd also point out that I think it's highly unlikely that she will work full time in Hospital, we have no idea what time commitment she will give her local hospital - so before people like Phil start shouting from their armchair maybe, just maybe we should wait and look at the facts?

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Oh I agree, but does anyone really have a problem with someone working as a MP and an A&E Doctor? Large sections of society often claim that politicians are remote and don't know what it's like on the front line especially when it comes to the NHS.

Exactly. I'd much rather see an MP spending a day a week or whatever they can effectively manage working in Health or Social care rather than as a QC, on the board of a bank, multinational company or as an 'adviser' to a Hedge Fund or armament manufacturer! Apparently they are far more likely to take the latter options rather than the former.

pemma

Veteran Member
Large sections of society often claim that politicians are remote and don't know what it's like on the front line especially when it comes to the NHS.

I'd also point out that I think it's highly unlikely that she will work full time in Hospital, we have no idea what time commitment she will give her local hospital

PaulHarding150 said:
lots of MPs famously have second jobs, many are practising GPs - many roles especially medical ones require continuous work in order to avoid full retraining

I agree she's unlikely to work full time in the hospital. However, a MP's level of pay is high enough they shouldn't need to have a second job (whatever it is) and in taking on a second job they are reducing the amount of time they can commit to a job which if done well requires long hours and the ability to work both during and outside normal working hours. Although, I accept as a MP doesn't know for certain whether they'll have a job the day after the next election it's useful for them to keep their skills up-to-date.

Labour more than doubled their majority!

Having a qualified doctor standing for Labour when the public are generally on the doctor's side in the Jeremy Hunt vs the junior doctor's battle will have worked to Labour's advantage.

backontrack

Established Member
Having a qualified doctor standing for Labour when the public are generally on the doctor's side in the Jeremy Hunt vs the junior doctor's battle will have worked to Labour's advantage.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure that it will have affected the swing that severely.

It is also worth noting that the BBC didn't show the actual percentage swing on their news coverage.

amateur

On Moderation
As long as its not a conflict o interest? Can you dedicate fully to both roles simultaneously without compromising standards? If you're neglecting your patients because you have to attend to your constituents, or if you have to neglect your constituents because you have to attend to your patients then it is a problem

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've no doubt doctors work part time for family reasons, so why not because one is also an MP? Certainly I would expect her perspective from the sharp end of the NHS will be valuable in informing fellow members who don't have that dubious privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.