• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top Gear at the GCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I saw a Top Gear episode today which had the original trio using a Jaguar to haul a trailer with passengers, and an Audi hauling caravans on PW trollies with passengers in the caravans on the Great Central Railway. I'm wondering how they were continously braked? Or is that only a requirement for paying passengers?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trestrol

Don't think they were. I know Murray Brown and he says he was petrified most of the time. Clarkson drove at a fairly fast.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I think that a regular poster on these forums was closely involved with the caravan stunt.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The caravan trains were not braked at all - bar the towing car , (explains how James May overshot one of the stations !)

Shall we say , some of the "operations" were not in accordance with the Rule Book and what used to be called the General Appendix.

Propelling was a bit risky ........(but no harm was done)

fgwrich

Established Member
The caravan trains were not braked at all - bar the towing car , (explains how James May overshot one of the stations !)

Shall we say , some of the "operations" were not in accordance with the Rule Book and what used to be called the General Appendix.

Propelling was a bit risky ........(but no harm was done)

Indeed, from memory they were pretty much mounted onto what is effectively your standard P-Way trolley. Obviously not Clarkson's Sports train though! :lol:

Mikw

One of my favourite episodes. I live quite close to the GCR and was amused how many times the "signature" view (the reservoir) featured in the final film. A good, fun piece, and it showed why proper carriages are so expensive compared to home made ones.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The filming was good fun - but obviously highly edited.

Yes - PW trolleys with a simple bar coupling - OK when being hauled , but a tad uncomfortable when being propelled for positioning moves.

The parallel filming was done from a rail mounted Landrover , very smart vehicle which I would have loved to have had a ride on (but no time for such fripperies) .....

Status
Not open for further replies.