• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top Gear's "The Stig" Jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
oi. I descend from Roald Dahl so watch your mouth! :P

That's fantastic - my kids - especially my daughter - would be really interested in that. We have quite a lot of his books on their shelves.

Meanwhile...

Perhaps you could suggest why the obvious jokes linking the Stig with Stig of the Dump ( I think that's one of Roald Dahl's creations? ) haven't been made? Surely it can't be just the two of us on here who know of the character?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
Some say, that he is the only living being to have successfully consumed a whole BR sandwich and cup of coffee without spilling it, while riding on a pacer. All we know is - He's The Stig!

VTPreston_Tez

That's fantastic - my kids - especially my daughter - would be really interested in that. We have quite a lot of his books on their shelves.

Meanwhile...

Perhaps you could suggest why the obvious jokes linking the Stig with Stig of the Dump ( I think that's one of Roald Dahl's creations? ) haven't been made? Surely it can't be just the two of us on here who know of the character?

Because the thread is mainly for "Some say..."
Oh well, Some say he's the Stig of the Dump!

Michael.Y

Established Member
Stig of the Dump is a Clive King book (1963), not a Roald Dahl book.

Some say, he really is a big friendly giant. And if he was headmaster of Crunchem Hall, the Chokey would be a giant Coke can.

Heinz57

Did someone once tell me he was driving 46 009?

Some say he was driving 46 009. And that he took a wrong turn heading north on the East Coast Mainline near York and ended up in Plymouth. All we know is he's not The Stig. But he is The Stigs Train Driving cousin!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Stig of the Dump is a Clive King book (1963), not a Roald Dahl book.

Ahhhhh......... *ducks to avoid incoming egg aiming for face*

So what is all this "Some say..." stuff then? Is that a sort of catchphrase they use on Top Gear? ( I don't watch it, before anyone asks! )

Ivo

Established Member
So what is all this "Some say..." stuff then? Is that a sort of catchphrase they use on Top Gear? ( I don't watch it, before anyone asks! )

It is, yes. They tend to do two each time, along the lines of "Some say that... and that... all we know is, he's called The Stig!"

A compilation from Series 10 (which has the best one of all time in my opinion - the rugby one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfRMYfvF9Xc

The first tends to be random, while the second tends to be topical.

deltic1989

Established Member

I think they only started doing the "some say..." jokes with the "new" (white overalled) Stig, as i seem to remember with the "old" (black overalled) Stig (the one that drove an XJS off an aircraft carrier) Richard Hammond called him Mitsustiggy when he tested the then current Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (i think it was the 7 or 8) cant remember I'll try to find a link.

Some say, he eats the cable from all the railways and blames it on the chavs, and when he was offered a job as a page 3 model in The Sun on Sunday. He then threw Richard Murdoch at the M25 and came back to Top Gear. All we know is, he's called The Stig. :)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Some say that he's a phone hacker for News International and was the first to come up with the idea of Sun on Sunday just so he can carry on hacking. All we know is, he's not The Stig, but he's Rupert Murdoch. (or The Stig's Phone Hacking cousin.)

TP

Last edited:

Michael.Y

Established Member
Some say he always uses Platform 5 at Cardiff Central; and that there is a special First Class section on Pacers reserved especially for him.

Ivo

Established Member
Hmm... not bad. Not bad. Lacking in ambition somewhat, but for a first go certainly a good effort and with a conclusion that actually has more benefit than most shown on Top Gear. The word "starring" in the credits was spelt incorrectly though ;)

Heinz57

Some say that he's seen Disneys Cars movie 287 times. . . . And that I can't think of a second one

Some say that some of his friends took him on a railtour for a 37 bash but he took the term 'bashing' the wrong way and picked a fight with 37423

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Some say that he drove a City Class 4-4-0 at 102 mph, and the descendents of his racing pigeons are currently in training as a replacement signalling system for Metrolink. He's not the Stig - he's Stig's Edwardian Great Uncle.

Giugiaro

Some say that if he was authorized to pilot airplanes, the Concorde would reach the speed of light;
And each time he hears "Mind the Gap", he thinks about the Grand Canyon... All we know is that he's called The Stig.

Status
Not open for further replies.