• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top of the Pops train 1984

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannypye9999

as a small child I remember watching an episode of top of the pops that featured a train running a journey with jimmy saville presenting the show on the train. Any info on this and what it was all about as I cant find anything. it was early 1980's.

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bAzTNM

Is this to bring a case against the Savile estate? Train sounds unbelievably dodgy now.

I believe it was 30/08/84,The train was on a specual run from Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads, which I believe broke the record for the fastest time between London and Bristol, Jimmy Saville got on train at start of Top of the Pops and finished the programme at Bristol. I remember watching the train pass Alderton (between Swindon and Bristol Parkway). Leading power car 43002 was named Top of the Pops on arrival at Bristol Temple Meads by Jimmy Saville at the end of the programme along with a performance by Howard Jones on a temporary stage alongside the train on platform 3.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Wasn't it Nick Kershaw singing on Temple Meads as it approached?

Or maybe Howard Jones?

sprinterguy

Established Member
As 158747 says, the "Tops of the Pops" episode was a specially staged run from Paddington to Bristol as publicity for BR's Intercity 125. The run was timed for 66 minutes 18 seconds, but was actually completed in 62 minutes 33 seconds at an average speed of 112.7mph.

dysonsphere

LOL I was there at Bristol doing the lighting for the BeeB. Had totally forgotten till I saw this thread. Pity cant find my pics now.:cry:

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
As it's a Jimmy Savile episode, it seems it won't be shown when BBC4 gets to 1984 in about 6 years time

jrhilton

Looking at the last video it seems to only have five coaches. I note that the press run for the Tees-Tyne Pullman Service in 1985 also only had five coaches. Is it the case that both trains couldn't actually do the time records they set with seven coaches or is there another reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.