• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top speed of various London Underground stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
maybe, maybe not but a 442 can do 110, the speed limitations is the shoegear interaction with the 3rd rail

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
maybe, maybe not but a 442 can do 110, the speed limitations is the shoegear interaction with the 3rd rail

on which, it is the design of the ramps at the ends of the power rails that are key. Steep ramps mean shorter gaps between traction power sections (so less chance of slow/stopping trains being gapped), shallow ramps mean you can run trains faster but have a higher risk of gapping

LiftFan

72's could top 65 between High Barnet and Totteridge, deff bumpy though.

I wish I could go back in time just so I could ride trains where they went much faster.

I'm sure I once heard a story of a driver in a Q stock made entirely of Ms, apparently it flew...

Nym

Established Member
I would have thought that it'd stand for Motors, certainly would make sense in the traditional description of LU formations, DM, T, NDM, UNDM, etc.

Ahh yes, but any motored car in LU would normally be referred to as a "Motor Car" rather than an "M" car. Since there are a fair few other things referred to as "M", namely the door...

bramling

Veteran Member
72's could top 65 between High Barnet and Totteridge, deff bumpy though.

A 95 stock could do it too, although fewer people would do it due to the presence of an incident recorder on the train. Combining this with heavy braking on the approach to Totteridge would often produce a rather nice burning smell from the brake resistors, although not as nice as the smell of brake dust in times past from a 59 stock!

Nowadays it's 50 mph on this section, although some time in the future it seems likely to be increased to 62 mph (100 kph) once various issues are ironed out and in connexion with a planned timetable change. The track is a little better nowadays than in 59/72 stock days of course..

LiftFan

A 95 stock could do it too, although fewer people would do it due to the presence of an incident recorder on the train. Combining this with heavy braking on the approach to Totteridge would often produce a rather nice burning smell from the brake resistors, although not as nice as the smell of brake dust in times past from a 59 stock!

Nowadays it's 50 mph on this section, although some time in the future it seems likely to be increased to 62 mph (100 kph) once various issues are ironed out and in connexion with a planned timetable change. The track is a little better nowadays than in 59/72 stock days of course..

That nice smell of brake dust was probably a chunk of asbestos, depending on the year...

bramling

Veteran Member
That nice smell of brake dust was probably a chunk of asbestos, depending on the year...

Still smells nice though! ;)

I was fortunate enough to assume ownership of some redundant stuff out of the tunnels recently, covered in decades worth of tunnel dust. When cleaned up at home the smell of brake dust in the air was something else!

Status
Not open for further replies.