• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tornado at the GCRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Tornado will be appearing at the GCR(N) over the weekend of 10/11 February.

Details here: http://gcrn.co.uk/events/2018-events/tornado/
The Great Central Railway - Nottingham is excited to announce the visit of legendary steam locomotive, 60163 Tornado, to Ruddington, home of the only Heritage Railway in Nottinghamshire during February 2018.

This superb A1 Pacific class locomotive is Britain’s newest steam locomotive built in 2008 and as part of the celebrations of her 10th year in service will be appearing for the first time at Ruddington. Despite her young age, Tornado is already iconic as a regular sight on mainline services and also having found fame on the television in “Top Gear” and “Tornado: The 100 MPH Steam Engine” alongside big screen fame in the 2017 film “Paddington 2” as well as being the first steam locomotive to reach 100mph in 50 years, so it is no surprise that we are excited to welcome her.

You will be able to travel on the former Great Central Railway main line on a return journey from Ruddington to Loughborough Junction behind this locomotive with 4 trains per day on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th February 2018 at 10am, 12pm, 2pm & 4pm. Booking details can be found by clicking the BOOK NOW link below and are now on sale priced at £15 for Adults and £8 for Children over 3 for a return trip with a STRICTLY LIMITED number of DAY ROVER Tickets available for £50. Advance online booking is strongly advised and tickets are strictly limited and once gone, they are gone!. Please note: Members discounted rate does not apply to this event.
The current plan is for Tornado to work with 47828 and the 125 Group's Mark 3s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s really great news for the railway.
Did A1s ever work over the GC in BR days occasionally do you know? I think A3s did.

Flying Phil

Established Member
dscf7583-jpg.42644
I went to Loughborough hoping to get a picture of Tornado near to the new bridge but sadly it stopped well short (to the North of the road bridge).
Still there was a nice item in the Local TV news just now on BBC1. It has certainly brought people to GCR(N).

Attachments

• DSCF7583.JPG
    DSCF7583.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:

gwr4090

Any info on when Tornado actualy moved to GCR(N) ? I missed this at my website !
It leaves for Didcot (GWS) on Tue 13 Feb.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi GWR 4090
It had been undergoing winter maintenance at the Loughborough based "Locomotive Maintenance Services ltd", so it would have been a very short move to the GCR(N). Do you have any times for the move on Tuesday?

On Moderation
Any info on when Tornado actualy moved to GCR(N) ? I missed this at my website !
It leaves for Didcot (GWS) on Tue 13 Feb.
Believe it arrived at Ruddington on 2nd Feb - there's a photo on the GCRN Twitter feed.

pappleby

Hi GWR 4090
It had been undergoing winter maintenance at the Loughborough based "Locomotive Maintenance Services ltd", so it would have been a very short move to the GCR(N). Do you have any times for the move on Tuesday?
on good authority, it will be at Rushcliffe Halt, plus a Gypsum Train. about 10:45

markindurham

According to the Trust's website, it's cancelled due to TPWS issues, which suggests it wasn't going to be a diesel drag anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.