• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Tornado' Tears Up London Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
http://www.itv.com/news/index_ea551e2d6de5c6a90ad23b7866e2bf71.html

"A "mini-tornado" has swept through a north London street, leaving over 100 properties damaged as stunned residents could only look on.

Six people have been injured and firefighters and ambulance crews are still at the scene on Chamberlayne Road in Kensal Rise, which is currently closed.

Pictures show destroyed house walls with rooms left exposed and bricks strewn over the street and parked cars. Trees were blown over and uprooted by the winds and roof tiles were ripped up.

The London Fire Brigade said several hundred people have been displaced by the damage. They are facing the prospect of being unable to spend Christmas in their own home.

Tim Klotz, 34, described the moment it "went a bit dark" and the tornado descended.

Mr Klotz said: "It was like some sort of cyclone. I was actually in an attic room working at my desk on the computer and there was heavy rain and sleet and then the wind just really changed."

He added: "I looked up through a skylight and debris was falling through the air. I heard what seemed like large, clay dominoes falling, which I think were roof tiles."

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) said it was too early to estimate the cost of damage caused but a spokesman said damage caused by the Birmingham tornado in 2005 ran into "tens of millions of pounds".

He said damage caused to homes and businesses would be covered by buildings insurance and household policies should cover the cost of alternative accommodation.

The freak weather comes after a night of heavy wind and rains.

And if you have any pictures of the tornado please do send them to us - either by email to [email protected] or you can send them direct from your mobile phone to 07738 100200."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
Just shows how pretty pointless eye-witness reports are; he says there was sleet! With a maximum of 11°C forecast today, I think sleet is pretty unlikely.

Dave A

Just shows how pretty pointless eye-witness reports are; he says there was sleet! With a maximum of 11°C forecast today, I think sleet is pretty unlikely.

Just to you how pointless eye-witness reports are, sleet and hail was present around these parts, which is only a few miles from here, at the time of the tornado... :p

class 313

Established Member
well, I was on the bus to Watford (321) and it just started POURING! we had to stop due to it raining so hard the wipers couldnt clear the water.

Craig

Established Member
I was in Camden for most of the day, it was fine there apart from a bit of rain in the late afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.